Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #21

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
I'm quite happy with my Ram 2500 and Cummins turbodiesel, thank you very much

Haven't hit a mountain yet that I can't accelerate up with the 34 footer loaded to the gills (grosses just about 5 tons....wife loads it to at least that) and then some. I get 20mpg empty and 12-13 towing if we're running 75mph up the interstate, and can get 15mpg running 60mph on regular highways. Probably do a lot better pulling a Bambi, but it doesn't do bad pulling the big gentleman and a motorcycle in the bed

Cheers,
Yes, but lots of Airstreamers are barely 34' long (or even shorter) including the tow vehicle! Never mind the mass involved. It's good that the small diesel is going to be available, I think it'll displace more Hemi than Cummins.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:15 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I can see the advantages of owning a diesel, as I am over a fleet of nearly 300 trucks, 5 of which are Duramax 6.6 and 2 are International 7.3. I know they are great trucks. My decision to continue towing with the Tundra is partially a financial one. If I can buy a tow vehicle for $20,000 used or $50,000-$60,000 new to increase my fuel economy 1 mpg towing or 3 mpg empty that makes no financial sense to me. I can't afford to do that. I don't have the money. My Tundra is a 2007 with 27,000 miles. How much gas will $20,000 buy? I also do not believe in choosing one truck over another because it gets 2 mpg more. Get what you want based on style and your perception on what will last longer with the least down time for repairs. I know the Duramax hold up well. I know the International 7.3 holds up well. Every engine GM has/had- 4.3, 5.0, 5.3, 5.7, 6.0, 6.2 gas and 6.6 diesel has held up well for us. GM's downfall is the 4L80E and 4L60E transmissions. We have replaced many of those. Every Ford gas motor- 4.2, 4.6, 5.4- has been nothing but trouble, but we have replaced less Ford transmissions. In general the bodies seem better on GM. I have never had any personal experience with the Cummins, but they are loved in the RV world. There must be a reason why. I still think if a had to replace my truck today it would be another Tundra. A Duramax/Allison GM would be my second choice, only because the Tundra is prettier and has a bigger back seat.
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:07 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
We looked at a Tundra crew max but the rear seats do not fold up for a flat floor.
srpuywa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:00 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by srpuywa View Post
We looked at a Tundra crew max but the rear seats do not fold up for a flat floor.
? But they fold "down" for a flat storage area...I guess I never thought of the need for the need for them to fold "up". There is so much room in there. The floor is so big anyway, without the seats being folded. I was looking at the Toyota name. Then I was looking at the size- the rear seat room and how big and wide the rear doors open. The only other truck that could possibly have an interior this big would be a Dodge Mega Cab. I could have bought a Dodge or Ford for less money. I could have bought a GM for the same money. I didn't even consider the Nissan Titan because they have never done a body style change and it costs just as much as the others. I was looking at style and power. I looked at all brands, and I looked at other possibilities besides pickups. After a lot of shopping I decide I wanted a Tundra.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:26 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
only because the Tundra is prettier and has a bigger back seat.
WOW! Now there's a statement that's obviously backed by, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

I would have considered buying a Tundra if they weren't so blasted ugly! Well, that and the fact they don't have enough payload, and they are noted to have a weak frame.

The Fords are very popular around here, but to me the seats are horrible...the bottom is too short giving no support to my legs. Like sitting on a stadium seat. So, because of those two eliminations, it's either GM or Ram for me, and I've been happy so far.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
WOW! Now there's a statement that's obviously backed by, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

I would have considered buying a Tundra if they weren't so blasted ugly! Well, that and the fact they don't have enough payload, and they are noted to have a weak frame.

The Fords are very popular around here, but to me the seats are horrible...the bottom is too short giving no support to my legs. Like sitting on a stadium seat. So, because of those two eliminations, it's either GM or Ram for me, and I've been happy so far.
I know a guy who had a 2000 Tundra. When it got 430,000+ miles and the rear main seal began to leak he got a 2012. He, also, thought it was ugly. He got rid of the 2012 and went back to the first generation body style 2006. All the trucks look good to me except the Nissan just because they have never updated the body style. It is the same as when it came out in 2004. Around here, Ford, Chevy,mand Dodge share equal popularity. Gas and diesel share equal popularity. There are less Titans and Tundras, but everyone likes the Tundra and compliments the Tundra. I think sometimes when people don't like the body style of the Tundra it is because it is so big. It is physically taller and wider than the Ford 350 or the GM 2500, but that translates into a limousine sized backseat only matched by the Dodge Mega Cab.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Honestly, the Tundra looks like they took a Chevy, a Dodge, and a Ford, put them in a bag, shook it up, and that's what came out.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:13 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
We like the room with the seats folded up on our silverado, because that's where our labrador's bed goes
srpuywa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:33 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
If this truck ain't pretty, grits ain't groceries, eggs ain't poultry, and Mona Lisa was a man!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	032.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	357.1 KB
ID:	187644   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0591.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	309.3 KB
ID:	187645  

Old 06-07-2013, 06:39 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
If this truck ain't pretty, grits ain't groceries, eggs ain't poultry, and Mona Lisa was a man!
Looks like a lowrider guppy gasping for air.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:46 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Ooooo ooooo weee! Snap!
Old 06-07-2013, 06:47 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Our local Chevy dealer already has a new body style 2014 Silverado on the lot. Good looking truck, but has styling cues from the "lowrider guppy".
Old 06-07-2013, 06:47 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
But I do like your choice in music....a blues fan here also.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:53 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I will admit that grill has always been ugly. Maybe with the new 2014 body style the grill will look a little better. The 2014 GM and 2015 Ford copy style and features from the "lowrider guppy". There must be some appeal there. The Tundra back seat is still bigger, even if it folds down instead of up...and the back doors open wider, too.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:58 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
I will admit that grill has always been ugly. Maybe with the new 2014 body style the grill will look a little better. The 2014 GM and 2015 Ford copy style and features from the "lowrider guppy". There must be some appeal there. The Tundra back seat is still bigger, even if it folds down instead of up...and the back doors open wider, too.
The back seat is of no concern to me....I never sit back there. However, I do like the tool boxes in the rear floor of the Dodge Ram.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:26 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Before I bought the Tundra I looked at a Dodge with the toolboxes in the floor. The lids were warped or didn't fit right or something. The Rambox toolboxes at the top edge of the bed look like they don't fit quite right, either, maybe due to trying to follow the body contour. Anyhow, I looked at GM, Ford, and Dodge, and still picked the Toyota. The Ford or Dodge would have even cost less. The Nissan Titan was never in the running because they have never changed the body style since the truck was introduced in 2004. Everyone has restyled at least once with another restyle coming in 2014 or 2015. The new 2014 Silverado is already out. One of my coworkers bought a new 2013 Silverado because of huge discounts.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Where is a Ram manufactured? I took a little ride to our local Chevy dealer today. After being greeted by a salesman and telling him I was just looking. I told him I drive a Tundra. I do like the integrated steps in the corner of the bumper of the 2014 Silverado. The conversation with the salesman went something like this:
Salesman: So, you like the foreign cars? I like American. I am a Chevy man.
Me: Where was this truck made?
Salesman: Detroit. We know where your Tundra was made.
Me: No sir, this truck was made in Mexico. Where's the door placard?
Salesman: Right down there at the bottom.
Me: See. Made in Mexico. My Tundra was manufactured in Indiana. That plant is closed now and all the Tundras are made in Texas. My Toyota is more American than your Chevy.
Salesman: Good day, sir. Thanks for stopping by.
There was a brand new 2013 sitting on the lot with the body side molding falling off.
I went to the Nissan dealer. Basically everything on the lot is manufactured in Canton, MS or Smyrna, TN.
I was curious, so I stopped by the local GMC dealer. Apparently the 2500HDs are manufactured in Flint, MI and the 1500s are made in Mexico. The Yukon was manufactured somewhere else but still in the United States.
Then I went to the Ford dealer. The F150s are made in Dearborn, MI and the F250s are made in Kentucky.
We do not have a Dodge, Toyota or Honda dealership in our town, but there is a Toyota plant at Blue Springs, MS. What I learned on my little field trip today is this: Apparently Nissan and Toyota are more American than Chevrolet. Go figure.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
I know this is an argument that will never end, and I probably shouldn't even get into it, but just because of where something is assembled, does not make it more American than something else. Yes the Tundra is assembled in Texas, but I've watched train load after train load of frames being freighted in here from Japan. So, where do you suppose the majority of the parts are manufactured?

And then this is the most important question, where does the net profit of the sale of a Tundra go???? Japan.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Most likely some components are manufactured in Japan. It is so with all vehicles. The window sticker shows the percentage part content from wherever. Think about jobs. People who live in Texas earn a living at the Tundra plant. People in Dearborn, Mi and Kentucky make a living at the Ford plants. People in Canton, Ms and Smyrna, TN make a living at the Nissan plant. So forth and so on. People in Mexico make a living at the Chevy plant. it used to be in Shreveport, LA. Your neighbors and my neighbors build all but the Chevy 1500. All of those workers in all of those plants are spending there money here in America. I believe there is no longer truly an American or Japanese or German or British car. They are all built from parts from all over the world. GM has been using Canadian parts and factories since at least the 80's. There is also no such thing as an American Economy or Japanese Economy. We are in a one world economy and government these days. We are so in debt to China that we will probably be under Chinese rule before too much longer. Maybe communist China will let us keep our Airstreams...simple fact is with labor and unions the automakers moved plants to the southern U. S. for cheaper labor and no unions. When the U. A. W. wanted to unionize southern plants the manufacturing jobs went to Mexico or overseas, wherever they can get cheaper labor. It is despicable the working conditions of the workers who built this iPad but cannot afford one.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Where is a Ram manufactured? I took a little ride to our local Chevy dealer today. After being greeted by a salesman and telling him I was just looking. I told him I drive a Tundra. I do like the integrated steps in the corner of the bumper of the 2014 Silverado. The conversation with the salesman went something like this:
Salesman: So, you like the foreign cars? I like American. I am a Chevy man.
Me: Where was this truck made?
Salesman: Detroit. We know where your Tundra was made.
Me: No sir, this truck was made in Mexico. Where's the door placard?
Salesman: Right down there at the bottom.
Me: See. Made in Mexico. My Tundra was manufactured in Indiana. That plant is closed now and all the Tundras are made in Texas. My Toyota is more American than your Chevy.
Salesman: Good day, sir. Thanks for stopping by.
There was a brand new 2013 sitting on the lot with the body side molding falling off.
I went to the Nissan dealer. Basically everything on the lot is manufactured in Canton, MS or Smyrna, TN.
I was curious, so I stopped by the local GMC dealer. Apparently the 2500HDs are manufactured in Flint, MI and the 1500s are made in Mexico. The Yukon was manufactured somewhere else but still in the United States.
Then I went to the Ford dealer. The F150s are made in Dearborn, MI and the F250s are made in Kentucky.
We do not have a Dodge, Toyota or Honda dealership in our town, but there is a Toyota plant at Blue Springs, MS. What I learned on my little field trip today is this: Apparently Nissan and Toyota are more American than Chevrolet. Go figure.
Sorry Sir! Your story doesn't work. Some FS SUVS are built in Mexico. PUs are built in Flint and Fort Wayne.

See here: List of General Motors factories - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please try and be accurate.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags