Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
2005 Nissan X-Terra sitting super low.

Hey everyone.

We've been towing with our 2005 Nissan X-Terra and the '66 Globetrotter that we have has had the back end sitting really, really low recently. This last weekend it ended up almost a full three inches below the concrete block we had been using in conjunction with the hitch jack.

A lot of the weight has been removed in our Airstream, so it doesn't strike me as the trailers fault. We recently had new shocks put into the Nissan, but the problems seems to have gotten worse. I've attached photos of how low it was sitting last weekend.

I took the X into the Nissan dealership and they didn't seem to find anything wrong, but he suggested a possible "helper spring" or possibly air bags, the guy didn't seem to know exactly what to do because I don't think the dealership handles a lot of towing situations.

What would be a reasonable solution to this problem, and does anyone have an idea of what kind of cost I should expect?

Thanks in advance

AustinToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I would suggest that you consider using a hitch system such as the Andersen Weight Distribution anti-sway system. I found that when I had my Xterra that it was necessary to compensate for the weight added to the back by my trailer by the use of such a system. The Xterra was still a crappy tow vehicle in my opinion and I traded it for a 2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost as soon as I was able.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
A couple of thoughts spring to mind:

1. A weight distributing hitch (Reese, Anderson etc.) will spring some of your tongue weight forward to the Nissan front axle.

2. As you "lightened" your Airstream did you remove more weight from aft than forward, possibly upsetting the balance over the axle(s)? This would increase your tongue weight even as the trailer's gross weight decreased.

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Wdh
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I really don't think you have a really good tow rig there. When you look at the under carriage setup, you don't even have an axle stabilizer. Also looks like your springs may be shot and new shocks won't help. Even a used Ford F-150 or Chevy 1500 would be a better situation for you. You could really be in a safety hazard situation if you're not careful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F-250 MagHytec 003 (Small).jpg
Views:	164
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	180003  
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
The kitchen situation from the front was removed completely. A new wall was put in there but it's not particularly heavy.

In contrast somewhere close to 100lbs + have been added behind the rear axle, but it's very close to the wheels so the leverage wouldn't be great. I hadn't thought about that though.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
I dont see any sway control either.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
I honestly wasn't under the impression that it would need that level of gear to pull with, so I admit my ignorance on the matter. I had moved across country three times towing very heavy moving trailers without incident but I know this is a bit of a different beast.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
I guess I'd like to know from people just how much of an issue the X Terra could be. I'm very hesitant to replace it because it's completely paid off at this point and the value is somewhere in the 9-10k range.

At the same time when we're towing that trailer we're towing about 30k worth of actual parts/technology/labor, and because it's our business we're towing probably double that in yearly income. There is a lot of risk there.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
From the pix you have given, I agree with other comments; your springs appear to be flat and need replaced or the addition of "helpers" in addition to the new shocks. I can't see the hitch on your x-terra, so can't comment. As for your trailer, you DO need a load leveler type AND anti-sway hitch. This is NOT only for your safety, but others too!
Since this is for your business, I suggest a larger TV, better hitch and anti-sway. This all becomes a liability isssue.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:04 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
According to the information I've been able to find on the Xterra boards, it does have a sway bar on the axle. Or at least it should as it was stock on the vehicle and I bought it new. It may not show in that photo though.

I'm still with you on the load leveler and anti sway. Would that be something like this?

http://www.andersenhitches.com/Produ...-brackets.aspx
Old 02-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinToast View Post
According to the information I've been able to find on the Xterra boards, it does have a sway bar on the axle. Or at least it should as it was stock on the vehicle and I bought it new. It may not show in that photo though.

Actually, it does show in the photo. I took the liberty of drawing around it in red. Like a lot of photos, it helps if you look at them as large as possible. Once I enlarged your original, the sway bar was obvious.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Swaybar_photo.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	327.2 KB
ID:	180011  
Old 03-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Do no confuse the sway bar on the vehicle with a anti-sway trailer system, different animal all together.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Do no confuse the sway bar on the vehicle with a anti-sway trailer system, different animal all together.
I think he has a grasp on the difference. The sway bar question came up in response to a post with a photo of a (very nice) finned differential cover and a sway bar. The poster referred to the sway bar (or perceived lack thereof) as an "axle stabilizer" and went on to say the there was not one on the X-Terra. Along with its other problems.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #15
Rivet Master

I have a 2007 Xterra. Tow rating on mine is 3,500 pounds. I doubt yours is more. I have towed a light trailer without problems other than high fuel consumption.
You have two problems. Your trailer is almost certainly over the vehices tow rating and you need a weight distributing hitch with sway control which puts the load on all four wheels and has sway control to mitigate the problem of the Xterra's short wheelbase. Helper springs or other modifications to the rear end won't solve the problem.
The Nissan Pathfinder is rated to tow 5,000 pounds with the same drivetrain but a longer wheel base so the problem is not lack of power.
Assuming your trailer has less than a 5000 gvw and you have properly functioning trailer brakes, you could get by with your Xterra and a proper hitch, but I would upgrade to a proper tow vehicle as soon as possible.
As your rig sits, it is a danger to you and everyone you share the road with. Your headlights are pointed into oncoming drivers' eyes, your emergency handling is greatly impaired and all you need is a passing Greyhound bus to start your rig swaying.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Well I hate to say this but according to the Trailer Life Towing Guide The X Terra Does NOT have Tow Rating over 2000 #. That includes the 2005 & 2007 and all years of the X Terra.

So any model & year of Airstream is way over the X Terra's capabilities.

Check it out for yourself at Trailer Towing Guides | Trailer Life Magazine

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:04 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Well the springs were most Likely over stressed towing without a proper WD hitch and are now showing that over site. If you want to keep the TV for cost, put in new springs and add one leaf, buy a WD hitch. Adding helper springs won't remove the damage done to the springs already done. They all work pretty well, no need to get a loan for a HA or a PP hitch. Many will disagree. The xtrea is likely not the right TV for the job, but if you have been using it all a long without the proper hitch, just do the spring upgrades and the WD hitch, and you should have an improved setup. Some people will say a VW could pull that rig, ( I don't agree ) so your xtrea should do fine without winning any races. Enjoy
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:10 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Wow... you need a semi according to some folks! Just get a WD and anti sway system, and all will be fine. Yes, your springs may have sagged a bit, but I wouldn't sweat it. Enjoy camping!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:13 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
I'm not sure where you're finding your numbers. I clicked on the 2005 guide that you linked to, and the Xterra is shown with a 5,500lb towing capacity, with an est 11,500 GCWR. Those are higher than the numbers given out by Nissan.

From the manual:

GVWR: 4x2 = 5200 lbs 4x4 = 5400 lbs
Curb weight is 4100-4400 lbs
Cargo capacity is around 1000 lbs
GCWR = 9658 lbs
Max tow = 5,000 lbs
Max tongue weight = 500 lb
Max frontal area = 60 sq ft

After saying all of that though...

I'm definitely looking into a different tow vehicle, possibly a Titan Pro-4X, since we'd have some decent deductions with it being a business situation. An F150 or a Ram 1500 are also being looked at since the Titan hasn't been updated in a few years.

Either way, I'll also be picking up the Anderson no sway weight distributing hitch.

There's actually a fairly long, heated discussion about towing with the '05 on the rv.net boards. The general consensus seems to be that while the X is strong enough via engine/frame to do it, it needs after market parts, and still remains too short, and too tall. I can't really disagree with that.

So, time to go lease shopping ><
Old 03-02-2013, 12:22 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Opps !!!! I was looking at Toyota for the X Terra, duh, its a Nissan DOOOO !

No wonder I couldn't find it !

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote