Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2013, 03:24 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenritas View Post
Opps !!!! I was looking at Toyota for the X Terra, duh, its a Nissan DOOOO !

No wonder I couldn't find it !
It must be the elevation. Te he
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:16 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Yep, the air is thin, but the views are great.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Nope just a brain fart.

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Regarding the Nisson Titan trucks, if you do get one, make sure you read the manual regarding towing for the first 500 miles(not driving the first 500 miles, but towing a load), as it specifically states that you should vary the speed and not go over 50 mph, plus some additional warnings. My cousin bought one a few years ago and when it was new, I read part of the manual to discover this tow warning. Not sure if the newer ones have the same warning but it wouldn't hurt to do some research before towing.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Most brand new vehicles suggest some minimal distance to help seat the rings and make sure there is no "infant mortality" issue before putting the engine under full load.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:25 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
When driving the down the road over undulating surfaces, as the trailer bobs up, the tongue weight downward force vector decreases from the static tongue weight and when it bobs back down, the downward force vector increases to more than the static tongue weight. Thus the need for some safety factor in the hitch attachment point on the TV and the rear suspension.

I removed all the steel spring suspension parts and put in a Kelderman level ride airbag suspension system. The front airbags have the same load capacity as the stock springs, but the rear air bags have a much higher rating (10,000) than the factory springs (6,010). This increased load capacity did NOT raise the GVW rating on the door, but did increase the safety margin on the rear suspension.

While the front axle was rated 5,500 and the rear axle was rated 6,010 for at total of 11,510 capacity, the GVW on the door is 9,600 pounds.

I mention this because the initial photo of the OPs springs looked like they were "sprung" from overloading. The tow vehicle could in theory carry the total of the weakest links in the suspension (in my case the axle ratings because the tires are each rated 3,195 at 80psi), but the GVW rating on the door is the controlling number.

The scale tickets give me peace of mind that I have not overloaded either the trailer or the TV.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:49 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Most brand new vehicles suggest some minimal distance to help seat the rings and make sure there is no "infant mortality" issue before putting the engine under full load.

Sorry, I failed to mention that this break-in period was for the rear end, not the engine. My bad.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:40 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
Sorry, I failed to mention that this break-in period was for the rear end, not the engine. My bad.

Pap
It's true that it's good practice to 'break in' the ring and pinion on a differential before subjecting them to constant heavy loading. However, in this case, one has to wonder if this isn't just an over-reaction by Nissan and Dana from the failed differentials of the early Titans. I think most in the industry agreed when it was all said and done the failures were caused by faulty parts when assembled as new. There was a fair bit of finger pointing and blaming the other guy at the time, but from what I heard, Nissan stepped up and took care of their customers. Behind the scenes, I'd bet money they made Dana eat the costs.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
It's true that it's good practice to 'break in' the ring and pinion on a differential before subjecting them to constant heavy loading. However, in this case, one has to wonder if this isn't just an over-reaction by Nissan and Dana from the failed differentials of the early Titans. I think most in the industry agreed when it was all said and done the failures were caused by faulty parts when assembled as new. There was a fair bit of finger pointing and blaming the other guy at the time, but from what I heard, Nissan stepped up and took care of their customers. Behind the scenes, I'd bet money they made Dana eat the costs.
Well GM has break in restrictions for towing to. No towing in the first 500 miles and limit speed to under 50mph and no full throttle starts for the first 500 miles of towing.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:32 AM   #30
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
A weight distribution hitch has a singular function: to restore the front axle of the tow vehicle to the unhitched weight value. The tongue weight of the trailer is "distributed" across all three axles via leverage when properly set.

Unfortunately, the Andersen is incapable of this amount of leverage unless trailer tongue weight is low, maybe 400-lbs. Another choice would be in the offing.

First step for your rig is a set of weight scale tickets. Separating the tow issues -- proper weight distribution -- from potentially worn or inadequate tow vehicle components needs clarification.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Slowmover, what do base your opinion of the Andersen system on? As someone with over 4000 miles of actual use of the Andersen system I believe you to be incorrect in your statment.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 03-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #32
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Basic numbers to bolster the conclusion. The thing can or it can't. Every other WDH can generate the needed leverage. The higher the TW the more important is the issue. The definition is met, or it is not.

And what is the TW of that Bambi? A 17' travel trailer has next to no need for a WDH depending on the TV manufacturer requirement. In which case the plastic bushings/Acme screw can probably meet the definition -- Front Axle Load Restoration -- and provide better-than-friction-bar anti-sway control . . but so does every other anti-sway type out there.

As before, the OP needs some numbers to separate out the problems of towing. Load the TT as for travel (including full propane and fresh water) and get the TW and Axle weights for that trailer.

Several decent threads on the subject. Search the title term "CAT Scale" in Towing and read that thread for a primer.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Slowmover, what do base your opinion of the Andersen system on? As someone with over 4000 miles of actual use of the Andersen system I believe you to be incorrect in your statment.
Ha! The Andersen Gambit!

No offence, Chief, it just made me laugh

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Yep, slowmover is definetly suffering from the "Andersen gambit". No reason to let a little thing like actual facts and experience confuse his opinion.