Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-20-2022, 01:39 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Before opening faucets to drip, make sure they drain to valve open grey water tank. My bathroom sink drains to my blackwater tank (owner's manual said grey water tank, wrong) (Plumbing diagram showed black water tank) I should have looked at the diagram but didn't. I found out the hard way that the black water tank fills pretty quickly overnight.
Old 12-20-2022, 04:11 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Hey Ya’ll!

PCSkier is right on the money. I followed his advice when I got set up at my winter camp and all is good after a month of winter camping. I am a skier too and we love and live for winter

I did pull the exterior shower hose and handle off and added some insulation behind the access door. It probably isn’t needed but I threw some insulation too behind the fresh water fill door because I could. I thought about wrapping my dump valves but read it wasn’t a worry when the heat is running. I will probably tape some bubble foil to the storage doors just to improve efficiency.

If you don’t have a heated hose or heat tape for the city water, just unhook it and run off the tank.

If you got a tankless water heater, leave it on so it’s built in freeze protection runs.

No need to winterize a unit you are full timing in. If you have power and propane, there are no worries about freezing.

Managing your condensation is what you should devote your energy to. Make sure you don’t have any spots (cupboards, behind the mattresses) that are going to build moisture and mildew if unnoticed. Crack some windows and or vents. Maybe buy a dehumidifier.
Old 12-23-2022, 12:22 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Denton , Texas
I just wrote a 20 minute long reply to give an update on how everything has gone so far and it timed out. So I lost it all. When I get the patience I will sit down and rewrite it on my computer, not from my phone!
Rak187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 07:52 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rak187 View Post
I just wrote a 20 minute long reply to give an update on how everything has gone so far and it timed out. So I lost it all. When I get the patience I will sit down and rewrite it on my computer, not from my phone!
One way to prevent that from happening is to make sure when you log in is to click the “keep me logged in” button .

The best way is to write it in text edit on your computer then drag and drop it into the post window then post it .

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 10:06 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
INDIAN HARBOUR BEACH , Florida
Bio-Skirting

Another option: Hay or Straw Bales placed around trailer, you can double stack at wheels. Generally, won't blow away, no need for cutting or anchoring, extremely good insulation.
A friend said to use them in growing season for a variety of plants: tomatoes, watermelon, etc. Of course, that is if you keep them that long.
And, they are biodegradable to boot.
PC Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 07:27 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I must admit that I found it amusing as I watched that national news last night and people in the northeast were complaining about temperatures in the 1° to 3° range. Above zero.

Please. That’s child’s play.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 09:53 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
If you are living in your trailer just use the propane heater and turn up the heat. Disconnect the external water supply and use your internal water tank.
You will be fine. We do cold weather in our trailer all the time.
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote