Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2014, 09:40 AM   #1
I Bought it I Broke it...

1976 31' Sovereign
Migratory , North America
Hot Water Heater Stuck on Full Blast

After not using the hot water tank heater for a couple of months, and at the same time replacing some of the gas lines going to it, I went to fire her up last night and notice that the heater is stuck on full blast.

The lever that typically regulates how much gas is coming out doesn't have any effect, except that it will respect the "off" position but any attempt to turn it even slightly on will result in a ton of flame, so much that it's coming up out of the exhaust vent.

Has anyone ever experienced this before?
clicknathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:45 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Just noticed your post.. too much pressure? is valve you installed rated for gas? what model heater? if too much pressure and restrictions on airflow, combustion might not complete before exit. what is flame color?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:00 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
chicago , Illinois
I have a 1965 safari turned on switch to pilot , it fired up full flame , then I turned knob to on and covered it up came bak 10 minutes later and knob was burned up. This happened because the small rubber gasket was so deteriorated. The valve that the knob was attached to never closed. Good luck.
kevin1975 is offline   Reply With Quote