Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-19-2008, 12:21 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Oakland , California
Andy,

Many thanks for the reply, I shall be looking at that next chance I get. There is what looks like a twist or warp through the floor which I have not had a chance to monkey with. The divider wall/bulkhead between the galley and center bedroom is not seated at the top where the walls curve into the roof, like the shell is tweaked but without any bumps and ripples on the outside. For the past few years the trailer only moved a few miles but in the future it will be making longer journeys and needs to have a good frame, axles, etc... and a nice floor!
Gerlach Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:48 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Other options

I have been experimenting with industrial carpet tiles. They use an adhesive similiar to rubber cement. The tiles can be picked up and laid back down. I have been using them it the bathroom of the trailer. I can't see the seam.
I am thinking about using linoleum type tiles by the door, with a layer of masonite underneath them. I bought the floating snap Pergo wood laminate for the rest. I'll put a thick throw rug on top of the Pergo.
I wish that the sheet flooring came in a checker board pattern
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:17 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
Ok today we went to Home Depot and bought a new product they have Allure vinyl like tiles but more like strips. Commercial quality, hubby took a key and nothing happened to it. We have a dobe and he has nails no matter how short they mark our hardwood floors. We get our gal back from service in a few weeks and by then the interlocking strips we ordered should be in at Home depot. 2 boxes cost 192, the green had to be ordered 48 sq. feet total. I will keep you posted. it is a floating system and the material is used in garages. Hopefully we will have some great photos to share by then New year 2009.
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:31 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Just tore the carpet out of mine. Wow, what a difference in the smell of the interior. That carpet was really bad. My floor looks to be in great shape, almost new, some water staining from leaks.

An prepping for the plywood recommended before doing Armstrong tiles?
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:38 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gail View Post
Ok today we went to Home Depot and bought a new product they have Allure vinyl like tiles but more like strips. Commercial quality, hubby took a key and nothing happened to it. We have a dobe and he has nails no matter how short they mark our hardwood floors. We get our gal back from service in a few weeks and by then the interlocking strips we ordered should be in at Home depot. 2 boxes cost 192, the green had to be ordered 48 sq. feet total. I will keep you posted. it is a floating system and the material is used in garages. Hopefully we will have some great photos to share by then New year 2009.
Gail--

There is a pretty extensive discussion on the Allure Trafficmaster vinyl planks, and you can find it here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f461...ter-41785.html

Good luck on your renovation, and keep us posted, with pics!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:07 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick View Post
Just tore the carpet out of mine. Wow, what a difference in the smell of the interior. That carpet was really bad. My floor looks to be in great shape, almost new, some water staining from leaks.

An prepping for the plywood recommended before doing Armstrong tiles?
If your installing over bare plywood:

- fill any deep cracks and bolt impressions with floor leveler - Durhams Rock Hard is cheap and easy to use

- seal the plywood with Jasco Adhesive Primer - 1 gallon should do 2 coats - it's water thin and looks like milk - just pour it on and slop it around with a wide paint brush - it dries quickly

- if your using a tile with no adhesive - follow the instructions for Armstrong's flooring adhesives - 2 quarts should do it

- for self adhesive tiles - still use the Armstrong adhesive - 1 quart should do - get a 2 or 3 inch chip brush and cut half the bristles off then just spread a thin coat in a random rough pattern

- get a cheap rubber head, hand floor roller to roll the tiles

- start walking on the floor as soon as possible to help it seal

The problem with adhered tiles on raw plywood is that the adhesive is absorbed off the tiles back down into the wood.... causing separation and peeling. This is especially in high heat like a trailer is subjected to. The Jasco stops that - helps water "proof" the wood and makes the tile easier to remove when you decide to change out. It's like sizing wallpaper.

Have fun....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote