Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2008, 08:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
East Dublin , Georgia
Rivet New Guy Needing Flooring Advice

Hi, I recently purchased a 1988 25' Excella that I truly am excited about. My 8 year old daughter & I have camped in it about 20 times since the purchase in November. I am however perplexed with the task of replacing the worn carpet with simulated wood flooring. Does anyone have a step by step process for this particular model? I appreciate everyone's help!

Warm regards,

Mike
trackbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Mike,

The flooring you are talking about pretty much all goes down the same. Most people sgree with installing left to right in the trailer rather than front to back. This prevents buckling of the floor if the floor moves to quickly.

Steve
Old 09-15-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

flint , Michigan
There are advanced installation guides that you can find at the link in my sig. They won't tell you how to remove the carpet, but I think you can probably figure that one out (start at a corner and then rip away)
Old 09-15-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Spruce Grove , Alberta
Our current unit has laminate flooring. It look real smart but it is not very practical. The worst thing is that it is much colder on the feet. Other draw backs are that it swells up if water spills are not dried quickly. If you are traveling with children carpet will hide all the dirt they track in until you get home to a vac. When traveling stuff put on a carpet does not slide around and scratch the floor or itself. I will take carpet any day over laminate.
hadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:54 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The type of floor is personal preference. With 3 dogs we find that the laminate is right for us. It cleans up very easily and does not show any wear. The water issue is only an issue if it sits for a long time, brief exposers will not hurt it. Scratches have not been an issue for us either. I installed a Pergo floor in my house seven years ago and have not seen a scratch yet. The floor being colder is a real plus if you live in Phoenix.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
TrackBandit,
Check out this thread for floor replacement...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f461...ter-41785.html

Take a look at the link posted in post #11. If you run through the slide show at the bottom of the page you will see some before and after pictures of my installation.

It really isn't that difficult if you take your time and plan. And always..."measure twice and cut once."

I too prefer laminate for easy cleanup. The porduct I used is from Wilsonart. I left a piece outside last fall and throughout the winter. When I picked it up in spring, it was dirty, but it had not absorbed any water or swelled.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote