Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2002, 06:49 AM   #1
Navigating Real Estate

Howell , Michigan
Cost to restore a gutted Airstream

How much could one spend on restoring a 1967? 25' Airstream trailer? I don't know if it still has any of the holding tanks, but the toilet and stove are still suppose to be there. the windows don't leak and the running gear is suppose to be in good condition.

I'm not looking to do a compleate original as in Airstream restore, but one that looks some what like it but the way I want it.
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 08:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Corbin. Airstream did not build a 67 25 foot trailer. What you may or must do depends on several factors. Please list the serial number, and we then can better help you.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 08:49 AM   #3
Navigating Real Estate

Howell , Michigan
I don't have the serial number for this unit and it very well could have been a 26' Airstream of that year.
Old 09-23-2002, 01:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
The REAL question is...

How much do you WANT to spend? The amount you actually spend will vary depending on whether you will be doing work yourself or farming it out to others to do. How proficient at wood working are you? What level of quality are you going to be satisfied with or how many "bells & whistles" are you going to want?

To see what $150,000 will buy check out the Ralph Lauren Trailer thread/poll.

Another one you may want to check out is the Spending This Year thread/poll.

Good luck on your research...

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 12:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Draco....let's Start Out With The Basics To See If We Can Identify Your Airstream Trailer. There Should Be An Airstream Plate Near The Entry Door To Your Trailer. Most Of Them Are To The Right Of The Door. They Identify The Model Of The Trailer...ie....Safari, Tradewind, Sovereign, Globetrotter...etc. Between The Airstream Name Plate And The Model Name On The Same Plate Should Be A Set Of Letters And Numbers That Make Up Your Serial Number. See If You Can Locate Them And It Will Help Us Identify Your Trailer By Model , Year, And Length. Hope This Helps You, Big Ed
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 05:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Regardless of year there are a few things all Airstreams have in common.

One of the base figures I came up with for my 1967 28 foot Ambassador for the "utilities" i.e. water heater, water tank, black tank, water pump, furnace and A/C was some where around $3500.00, there is a lot to consider when pricing out a project like this. Do you want new or can you live with used items. Does it have to be OEM or can you live with a aftermarket item. Don't get dicouraged by the scale of the project, just keep your head, keep your eyes open and your ears open.

If you are thinking of joining the 1966-1968 Curved Corning Club , you will have a lot of help and support here. There are at least 4 of us stripping these coaches down to the skin if not further and rebuilding.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 06:41 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
Draco.... Hope This Helps You, Big Ed
It must be another slow day here on the forums, you guys are replying to a three year old thread, and the original poster hasn't made any more posts since the one he made at that time. I guess we scared him off.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Doesn't that make you feel SOOOO silly? I've done that once or twice, and then I smack my forehead. There oughta be a warning message that pops up when you hit reply that says,

"Alert: You're responding to a several years old post. Is what you have to say really that important... or are you just blind?"
Old 07-15-2005, 09:28 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

On many forums that I am a member of, threads get locked after a certain period of inactivity. The info remains searchable, you just can't submit a reply. If you want to comment, you have to start a new post and you can link to the locked thread. That way it is a consious decision on your part.
kl8ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 01:26 PM   #10
Navigating Real Estate

Howell , Michigan
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
It must be another slow day here on the forums, you guys are replying to a three year old thread, and the original poster hasn't made any more posts since the one he made at that time. I guess we scared him off.
No didn't get scared away just lost the chance to get the trailer that I thought about doing the restore on.

Corbin
Draco the Red
Old 07-16-2005, 01:33 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Karma to you sir for posting.

Sorry it didn't work out.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 01:55 PM   #12
Navigating Real Estate

Howell , Michigan
Tom,

No problem there are always other in due time.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:24 AM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Good to hear back from you, let us know if you find a "new" coach.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:46 PM   #14
Navigating Real Estate

Howell , Michigan
Hi Terry,

I have to ask are you a Linux type of guy?
Old 07-18-2005, 05:02 PM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco
Hi Terry,

I have to ask are you a Linux type of guy?
I play Linux when I get tired of bowing to the Emperor of Redmond.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:54 PM   #16
Navigating Real Estate

Howell , Michigan
Kool Linux and Aluminum

Quote:
I play Linux when I get tired of bowing to the Emperor of Redmond.
Kool a person after my own heart. Off with the Emperor's head I say off with it.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:43 AM   #17
Tir

Thumbs up Request for assistance

My husband and I own a '73 Land Yacht Travel Trailer. I would like to post an information request but can't figure out how and FAQ's don't tell me. We are looking for a repair service in Wayne County, PA (home of our Airstream.) Can you help?

TYIA,
Tir (Carlee Weston)

Quote:
Originally Posted by till
Regardless of year there are a few things all Airstreams have in common.

One of the base figures I came up with for my 1967 28 foot Ambassador for the "utilities" i.e. water heater, water tank, black tank, water pump, furnace and A/C was some where around $3500.00, there is a lot to consider when pricing out a project like this. Do you want new or can you live with used items. Does it have to be OEM or can you live with a aftermarket item. Don't get dicouraged by the scale of the project, just keep your head, keep your eyes open and your ears open.

If you are thinking of joining the 1966-1968 Curved Corning Club , you will have a lot of help and support here. There are at least 4 of us stripping these coaches down to the skin if not further and rebuilding.
Tir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 04:52 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Actually, I think there is another reason old threads are getting "reactivated" -- I bet it is because of the "Similar Threads" list at the bottom of the thread. I just discovered this particular thread while reading the "DIY network" thread because this thread's link was listed in the "Similar Threads" list at the bottom of the "DIY network" thread.

Go and look at the bottom of this thread and note the "last post" dates on the threads listed. Some date back to 2002. There is a higher chance that an old thread will in fact get reactivated when people start to browse this list.

I actually think it is a good thing. We have new people who have joined the forum since 2003 so we have more of a chance of potentially new or additional information/thoughts being posted.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 02:11 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Temecula , California
First I would like to say hello. This is my first post, but have been a guest to this forum many times. I find the older post very helpful. Whether they are 5 years old or not, good information is helpful information. I hope I can contribute to this forum. I do not own an Airstream but I am currently looking. I'm really not sure what year, size or if I want a fixer or not. I'm sure you will help me figure out my wants and needs. Thank you, David
RealtyQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 01:04 PM   #20
Traveling Photographer...

Currently Looking...
Acworth , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to EricFarewell Send a message via MSN to EricFarewell Send a message via Yahoo to EricFarewell
Great content in here, thanks for bumping it up to the top!
EricFarewell is offline   Reply With Quote