Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2009, 07:55 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Barstow , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Y2k_Knight
You sound like a nice bunch of reasonable folks, so I'll stick my toes in the water...

I'm looking for a roomy airstream 22' - 30', ranging in price from $1500 - $10,000. I'm aware I may be in for a lot of work at $1500 but I'm planning to go to Mel Trailer and let them do it. I've already talked to them and they are willing to break it up into phases so it's not overwhelmingly expensive and one time.

I'm starting to settle on a 28', and I like the rounded windows, and the oblong window under the primary windows on the side... now I'm just looking for the right trailer that shows up when the funding is in place...

I'm in California, any places/people I should stay away from?
Y2k_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:36 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2k_Knight View Post
You sound like a nice bunch of reasonable folks, so I'll stick my toes in the water...

I'm looking for a roomy airstream 22' - 30', ranging in price from $1500 - $10,000. I'm aware I may be in for a lot of work at $1500 but I'm planning to go to Mel Trailer and let them do it. I've already talked to them and they are willing to break it up into phases so it's not overwhelmingly expensive and one time.

I'm starting to settle on a 28', and I like the rounded windows, and the oblong window under the primary windows on the side... now I'm just looking for the right trailer that shows up when the funding is in place...

Keep in mind, that a non-Airstream dealer cannot buy parts from the factory, unless they are at the factory. That would increase your cost to reach your goal.

Depending on what you wish to have done, make sure you chose a dealer that has done, many times over, what you want done. Repairs are one thing. Remanufacturing, is another as well as upgrading some components.

There are all to many horror storys and dissatisfied owners because they took the coach to a shop that had little to no Airstream experience, and therefore suffered the consequences.

You may have to choose a shop that could be several hundred miles from you, in order to have assurances that they know what they are doing, specifically with an Airstream product. Without that experience, could be very costly for you, as well as disappointing.

Who ever you may chose, make sure that they give you a written estimate, which details exactly what they will do, per item, and it's costs. Do they routinely do repairs, or remanufacturing? With a written detailed estimate, you can phase the work and expense to suit your timing and finances.

Doing at least a little research, and homework, should answer your questions.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:45 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Welcome! Airforums does have a great group of people.

Quote:
Wow! Thats a big price range. Looks like your located close to Mel Trailer and Inland RV. That will be very handy when you find the Airstream of your dreams.

Quote:
Good luck on finding your trailer you never now when it will happen. Take a look at vintageairstream.com. they have a great photo archive so maybe you can narrow down your search.

Quote:
Always a tough question. Your experience with "place/people' may be completely different then someone else's. Do your homework. Good luck!

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:30 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Barstow , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Y2k_Knight
The shop I'm looking at to do the majority of the restoration/rebuild is www.meltrailer.com. The told me the average cost to restore a 30' is about $14,000. I'm hoping I can do a little to defer that a little.
Y2k_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:52 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
That price looks to be in the right ballpark. You can save yourself some money by doing it yourself (DIY). Labor is about 1/3 or 1/2 of the restoation cost. Airforums has endless posts on how to restore any Airstream and if you get stuck you have help real close. Now to find your Airstream.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:55 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
The shop I'm looking at to do the majority of the restoration/rebuild is www.meltrailer.com. The told me the average cost to restore a 30' is about $14,000. I'm hoping I can do a little to defer that a little.
I have had work done there, and they do great work.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:12 PM   #27
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
If you can find one already done it should sell at a significant discount to that $14000 figure. And be ready right away.

The problem is to find one that suits you and is done right with no nasty surprises lying in wait.

Rednax has an excellent 34 foot Silver Streak for $10,000.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f417...ots-47662.html
Old 02-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #28

Beaverton , Oregon
I think this question is timeless and worth keeping open. I'm out in Portland, OR and thinking of getting an Airstream. Trying to evaluate new versus used + restoration. Is there a good resource on where to start?
skistream54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:17 AM   #29
Likes Shiny Tings

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
Hi skistream 54. This forum has been invaluable to poke around in and get most of my questions answered. The search function really helps.

I am in Portland and currently I am having a '58 Overlander remodeled inside that I just purchased this past summer. I started out looking at everything in years and models on the internet. blogs, ebay, craigslist, threads on this forum. I poured through it all. I narrowed it down to an older trailer due to my ballpark budget and then I looked at everything I could find on older Airstreams. I went with the 58 because I love the body style, I am charmed by the vintage feel and the history and the better grade aluminum. I also wanted a trailer that had spent its life in the desert vs some wet mossy PacificNW woods.
You might like something newer. But the process is the same. Start looking and thinking and reading and you will start to get a feel for what you want.
I started out looking at mid 70's models but they didn't do it for me. It just kind of went along a path that got narrower the more I studied and shopped around until I felt clear about what I wanted.

I didn't want to get involved in handson nuts and bolts restoring ourselves as I knew it would go very slowly and I wanted to use the thing in my lifetime. (some people are better disciplined with their productive time than we are) I bought one that had the running gear, hitch leaks, and most electrics replaced. It had been polished and was in relatively beautiful shape. It just needed the interior made pretty and renewed.
So I think it really depends on what you like. If you like things that are modern and can afford the newer, you may find yourself heading in that direction. I also looked at models that had some restoration done to them and could be taken out on the road immediately, but I knew I would still want to remodel to my own taste.

I have my Overlander at RVPro in Vancouver and they are doing a good job and keeping in good communication and are being conscious of my budget. I had tried a couple of other places, but one wasn't enthusiastic, and the other didn't really like to work on trailers in the winter. so thanks to this forum and some good comments on RV Pro I went there and so far have been pleased.
I will have about $21k into the trailer by the time we are done including the purchase price. Then anything else (and there is always something else) I will have done at a more leisurely pace.
MaryC is offline   Reply With Quote