Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-08-2017, 10:23 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
Sitting Comfort

The wife and I are looking at used AS trailers 25-27 ft and wonder how comfortable are they to sit in. We see mostly bench style seating. If your were to sit and read a book in the afternoon would you be comfortable? In some other style trailers you see couches and even reclining lounge chairs. thank you
prostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have traveled for 6-7 months a year and could not take the bench seating, so we converted it to recliners. Pretty easy, I unscrewed the bench seating and removed them in about an hour. The recliners went right into the void, but we had Airstream Service Center put in an extra custom cabinet and the center counsel and side table from a 30' recliner model they produced about 2010 to 2014. Look for that model, not many around.

The recliner conversion is not easy in most late models because they have furnaces and water heaters and electrical equipment under the bench. They also produced some models 23' to 30' with actual sofas in them (not the bench seat L-sofa), and still make the Classics with an actual sofa, since 2015 they recline slightly on each side and a leg rest comes up.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:10 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
2016 27' International
Saint Paul , Minnesota
Sitting Comfort in 25 or 27 FB

We have done the bench seating and just use the pillows that come with the airstream to make ourselves comfortable.

We also have collapsible ottomans and when we use the original set-up I sit by door with pillow behind my back and use one of the ottoman while husband stretches out with his favorite puppy on long bench.
tooleshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:11 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
We have a 25fb with the original cloth cushions. The standard Airstream foam is not very good in my opinion. In order to be comfortable for any length of time we put the dinette down, and have added many throw pillows for additional support. We're getting ready to replace the cushions completely with upgraded foam and leather from Denver Upholstery. They do all the cushion work for Timeless Trailers, so their work seems to be top notch.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
The dinette benches are a compromise because they are design for conversion to a bed. The are not ideal for eating or working at the table, or long spells of reading or watching TV. For comfort, my ideal Airstream is the 30 foot Flying Cloud with recliners, but we have a 25FB.

My wife has back trouble and has a two-pronged approach for seating. She ditched the cushions on the door side bench and built an angled plywood backrest for it. She got new cushions made with foam that suited her. We also carry a folding chair that she uses for computer work at the table.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
we are bot fairly short, and the sofa across te front of our trailer seems a bit higher than we would prefer.

I made a couple of little folding "coffee tables" from wooden tv dinners tables we found very cheaply - about $15 each. They are quite solid and I cut them down to a lower height more akin to coffee table height.

Using them with a small cushion on top, they become excellent footstools and used in conjunction with them the sofa becomes quite comfortable for us for tv watching etc.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I have the opposite problem from Brian. I am 6-2 and the back of the Villa sofabed hits me about shoulder blade height. The sofa is comfortable for reading, i.e. looking down, but not for watching TV. I'm working on a design for a removable headrest, or three, to match the seating areas. I say "or three" because Missy is not too happy with the front window blockage. I think I'll make three so we can remove the middle one (and hers, if she chooses) if we want to.

I think I have found a leather to match the one that the PO used to re-upholster the sofa. My plan is a welded frame for each position that holds the cushion, with legs that line up with some brackets I'll attach to the existing structure. The devil is in the details and I can't figure out exactly how to do it without taking the sofa out.

Does anyone know if the back of the Villa sofa is easily removable? How did they get it into the trailer? Maybe they just put it in bed position and turned it on its side to go through the door.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:28 PM   #8
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Prostar, my impression of the seating in my old (2012) 28' Intl CCD was that it looked nice. It was definitely NOT comfortable. The quality and thickness of the foam meant that once it was compressed you felt the plywood underneath the cushion. I ended up pulling out the L seat sofa and replacing it with two Villa recliners. Others have done less dramatic changes, e.g., buying higher quality and denser foam for the cushions. I also had a problem with the height of the sofa/bed. Before going to the two recliners I used a small ottoman.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
we are bot fairly short, and the sofa across te front of our trailer seems a bit higher than we would prefer.

I made a couple of little folding "coffee tables" from wooden tv dinners tables we found very cheaply - about $15 each. They are quite solid and I cut them down to a lower height more akin to coffee table height.

Using them with a small cushion on top, they become excellent footstools and used in conjunction with them the sofa becomes quite comfortable for us for tv watching etc.

Brian.
Can we please see pictures? That sounds interesting.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostar View Post
The wife and I are looking at used AS trailers 25-27 ft and wonder how comfortable are they to sit in. We see mostly bench style seating. If your were to sit and read a book in the afternoon would you be comfortable? In some other style trailers you see couches and even reclining lounge chairs. thank you
We have a smaller Airstream and find it quite comfortable for reading. The secret for us has been pillows.

On our double bed, we have a set of 2 soft regular bed pillows for sleeping and also a set of 2 firm regular bed pillows, which are great for reading in bed. And also a set of 2 26 x 26 Euro pillows with feather inserts (from Ikea) that are used decoratively on the bed, but transfer over to the Lounge. That is what I call the table area with the table down. I usually put down a fleece throw, and then add the euro pillows

During the day, one of us reads on the bed, then other on the lounge. We find it quite comfortable for reading, watching TV or movies, snacking (with a tray), and of course napping.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:28 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Take a look at the new floor plan 26U. We have had 5 Airstreams all different sizes for 23 to 30. The 26U is by far the most comfortable.

Plenty of room for two adults to comfortably recline and read or watch tv.

The new cushions have memory foam and non slick fabric.

The table also has 2 parts. We use the smaller table top turned sideways when reclining. Makes a nice place for drinks and such.

Twin bed models can also add comfort. You can use them to recline. We also got our 26U in the twin and it's our first twin bed Airstream and we will never go back. What a difference!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
We're looking at late 90's/early 00's 34' coaches with the front couch and side dinette. Jo Ann will watch television while I read. We will use the dinette as intended and once in a while for other purposes. First grandchild is getting old enough that it won't be long before he can spend a night with Grandma and Grandpa, but I suspect it will be a few years yet before we really have to worry about what sort of bed(s) the boys will need. Third grandchild isn't due until June, so long time for that one.

I've thought about replacing the couch with two recliners, but the couch covers up some electrical stuff that would have to be covered before our cat checks it out and lights up her eyeballs.

How comfortable is the factory couch after 15-20 years?
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:12 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Charlestown , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
Take a look at the new floor plan 26U. We have had 5 Airstreams all different sizes for 23 to 30. The 26U is by far the most comfortable.

Plenty of room for two adults to comfortably recline and read or watch tv.

The new cushions have memory foam and non slick fabric.

The table also has 2 parts. We use the smaller table top turned sideways when reclining. Makes a nice place for drinks and such.

Twin bed models can also add comfort. You can use them to recline. We also got our 26U in the twin and it's our first twin bed Airstream and we will never go back. What a difference!

Thanks for this post. Your experience is exactly what we are hoping for. We love the outdoors/hiking/trail running and are hoping we can be comfortable in a trailer smaller than the Classic 30. The 26U seems perfect. Do you guys live in it full time? We will be in ours up to 8 months a year. It's just myself and my wife. Any specific things you miss about having a larger AS? Why do you prefer the 26U over your 30?
Outdoorpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:53 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Labelle , Florida
We also find the seating uncomfortable. We have a 25ft FB Safari 2007. We pulled it all out and put in recliners with a table in the middle. Table was "temporary" but still there was supposed to be to check design, functionality.Have USB ports built in to each side of cabinet which ci very handy. Replaced the side couch with a counter with drawers and a place for a printer and microwave. We are looking at getting a 27" FB Flying Cloud and the first thing we will do is rip out the seating and do very similar setup to what we have now.
VTSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:20 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
We have a Serenity 23 FB with just a dinette. I take the backrest cushion, which is tapered and swap it for the bottom cushion. With the thicker portion positioned toward the knees, it provides more of a bucket seat contour. It helps. But we bought this trailer the way it is for the better bed, and during most waking hours we are either hiking, attending festivals, or sitting outside with the lounge chairs of our choice! If I want to sit around in a recliner watching TV, I'll just stay home.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote