Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2005, 01:45 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to true1977 Send a message via Yahoo to true1977
Unhappy 50-something sitting on axles on ground HELP?!

Okay so I found an old 50-something trailer (may be an airstream or probably a streamline) sitting on it's axles on the ground ( rocky tennessee clay). It is round in front a pointy-er in the rear very similar to a 58 streamline I saw. It's a 26-32 footer. How on earth would I go about getting this thing to another location? Makes me want to cry seeing it sit there.Someone put black TAR on the roof..and the door is not on it but nearby. I'm pretty sure i can get it for near to nothing or actually nothing, but wondering if it is a lost cause. help and advice sooo greatly appreciated..... Thanks,True
true1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 06:21 AM   #2
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Got any pictures? Sounds like a lot of work, but it's a good thing to save an old trailer. You can lift it onto a flatbed in order to move it,or....put new undercarrige on it in place. Probably a bunch of safety issues there, tho. Try and post some pics and somebody will be able to tell you what it is and give you some pointers on moving it.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 06:41 AM   #3
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Rivet Roll-back ...

Hire a Roll-Back, drag it up & bring it home!
Most all tow yards will have one.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 06:59 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Talking Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by true1977
I'm pretty sure i can get it for near to nothing or actually nothing, but wondering if it is a lost cause. help and advice sooo greatly appreciated..... Thanks,True
True,

“There is no such thing as a lost cause if the passion inside you burns to restore it”

I have a friend who has one of the nicest and fastest 1971 Monte Carlos around. Several magazine features, Hot Rod power tour, multiple dyno shootout victories. Car runs low 9’s in the quarter mile (4000+ pounds and on pump gas, you do the math), produces 800+ horsepower at the rear tires. Sounds cool right, what you don’t see is that the car was in a barn fire. Roof collapsed from the heat, interior was removed with a pitch fork and the work began – many years later it is a show piece and quite an accomplishment. Many folks on this forum have spent equal or greater time on the Airstream and Argosy projects that they own. This is not an easy undertaking, the restoration process, but look at the results.

So – do you have the passion?

Regards,

Henry
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:05 AM   #5
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Oh Yah !

Quote:
“There is no such thing as a lost cause if the passion inside you burns to restore it”
Henry,

You never met my first wife!
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 08:51 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

After looking (it was dark the first time and I was far away) again.. Ive determined it's actually a 1949ish royal spartanette-tandem( I'm nearly certain).I don't know how I made such an off model guess... they really only have aluminum in common! Anyway,The floor is Plank wood heheh. It's really super cool.There is no VISIBLE rust! I don't know what I am going to do because I'm really looking for something to full time in and this would be a great project but I just don't know if it will suit my needs... it's really hard to "just say no" to these cool old things! I see why people end up with collections. Thanks for the replies. Will update if I decide to go forward with it.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:26 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1968 22' Safari
1953 21' Flying Cloud
1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Fort Worth , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to 32spar
We have a 53 Royal Spartanette...... very cool. We found her in a growth and had to cut bushes and trees down for 2 days, just to discover someone had taken the axles off. We hired a local wrecker service that sent a low boy with a roller on back and she went right on up. When we got her home we placed her on 4x4's and masonary blocks. Needless to say axles, wheels and tires were the first thing we bought. The Spartanette was my first, even though she isn't an Airstream she is very well constructed and has a look and beauty all her own. I followed behind the wrecker in my truck, she sat there so majesticaly, just as grand as she was in 1953. I felt the passion that day, and from your comments I believe you have it in you as well. We love our Airstreams and would not dream of having anything else!!!!!!! However, we are keeping the Spartanette. Good luck in your new adventure, I wish you well. Please keep us informed.
32spar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 05:11 AM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Nothing wrong with a Spartan, those are very cool trailers. Go rescue that poor thing if you're up to the challenge!

Welcome to the forum (with ALL your trailers) 32Spar!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 12:28 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

I'm attempting to get intouch with the land owner actually... the house looks abondoned but I forgot to get the address so I could find out from the tax accessor.Doing that on friday.Thanks for the encouragement.