Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2015, 12:51 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
RV / Skiing Advice and Locations

Does anybody have any recommendations for a good ski resort that either accommodates or has RV facilities (open) nearby? I'd definitely be limited to the east coast but would be fun to hear west coast options too.

Related side note: We'd actually need to live out of the AS during this time so I'm not sure it's feasible to do winter camping for only a week at a time...?

Another relate side note: I've never towed anything in the snow, let alone my AS... this whole thing sounds like a lot of work and I'm probably going to talk myself out of it unless someone has a really brilliant idea!

Thanks!
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I'm not a skier but Tiger Run Resort in Breckenridge, CO is open during the winter. Has winterized water faucets etc. Not far from the Breckenridge, Copper Mt, Keystone and Vail ski areas.

Towing in snow would be scary. I don't think I could do it. 4x4 and carry chains.

Tiger Run

Kelvin
Old 09-24-2015, 02:06 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
My wife and I are avid skiers and lived for many years in Stowe VT. Both of us are instructors and I am National Ski Patrol. Our 32' AS occupied a space along side the house, usually covered with snow and winterized. In addition to the problems with towing in the snow, the insulation of the AS was not made for cold winter weather.

>>ron<<
Old 09-24-2015, 07:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Steamboat Springs!
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:25 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Smile

Dear chaseav:

You didn't say what part of the country you were interested in skiing. If you make it out to Oregon Mt Hood Meadows, Mt Bachelor, and Hoo Doo accomodate RV's.

At Mt Hood Meadows you can stay up to 5 days in a designated area in the main lot. You have to apply for a permit--the number of RV's is limited, no hook-ups, but its free except you have to have an Oregon Snow Park Permit.

Hoo Doo was purchased a few years ago, so the RV hook-ups may be history. Used to be there was a row of hook-ups on one side of the main parking lot--$15.00 a night to stay. The Ray Benson snow park is a half mile away and is set up for Class A's pulling snow-mobile trailers--so you would fit if you could see the stripes in the lot. You would have to have an Oregon State 'Snow Park Permit' to use.

Mt Bachelor allows RV parking in designated areas, but no hook ups. There is a very large Snow Park across the road from the main base of the resort.

In Oregon, there is a system of 'Snow Parks' for winter recreation. Snow removal and maintenance is paid for by user fees--the 'Snow Park Permit'. The Snow Parks are found along state or federal highways thru out the state in the areas that get consistent winter snow. The larger ones have improvements like restrooms, covered picnic/campfire structures, and paved parking lots. No hook-ups.

So the other Oregon ski areas usually have one or more Snow Parks a short distance away. And the Snow Parks can be used as bases for other types of winter recreation like snow shoeing, XC, and hike/skiing.

It used to be that Idaho and Washington honored the Oregon Snow Park permit, but that reciprocal agreement fell by the wayside during the economic down turn.

Photo: June 9, 2012, a good snow year, at Mt Hood Meadows:

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Salt Lake City has more skiing options than any other western ski town. Stay at the Pony Express RV park and ski a month all at different ski hills. Awsome.
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:42 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
There are 2 RV parks in/near Whistler (BC), one of which is open all winter with hookups.
Big (almost 9000 acres), big vertical (5200 ft), long season (usually Mid November to the end of May) and often funky weather. The park fills up with worker bees (worker housing is scarce) so call ahead.
vito98103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:06 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Renton , Washington
Crystal mountain in WA state has 30 rv sites with power available on the mountain for $35/night and 10 non-power sites for $25. Where we spend most of out winter.
RV Camper Parking | Crystal Mountain Resort WA

Interesting to see the other places available as we are planning a ski/road trip, if the snow doesn't materialize here - like last the 14/15 season.
hauckd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:24 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
White Rock , British Columbia
Whistler/Blackcomb is awesome!

If you do make it to the Pacific Northwest then Whistler/Blackcomb should definitely be on your radar. As a ski resort it was home to many of the 2010 winter olympic events and is a totally full service resort town. The skiing/boarding is second to none especially on a sunny day after fresh snow! Excellent to visit any time of year.

It is also home to one of the nicest privately owned and professionally run RV resorts we have ever been to. Riverside Resort is a 4 season facility and can accommodate any size rig. Great hookups, sewer and water year around. Shuttles are available all day to the lift lines or in to town for Aprés. Look them up online. See their winter (and summer) photos at this link Riverside Resort

Whistler is about 1.5 hours north of Vancouver, Canada on the excellent sea-to-sky highway. This hwy was rebuilt and widened for the Olympics and is now an easy drive for anyone pulling an Airstream or any other rig. Being on the west coast it is more likely to be a rainy drive than a snowy one - and for the time when it does snow - the road crews are out in force keeping it clear.

In the summer we always bring our bikes as there is an awesome valley trail system and a short ride to the village or more aggressive (free) mountain bike trails all along the valley or (paid) mountain-high single track riding.

Put it on your bucket list - I would say this area is a must-visit location!
HeavyMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:00 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
And then there is Sun Valley...our country's first ski resort with great facilities (e.g., snow-making, restaurants, bars etc everything needed for a memorable apres-ski). There is a campground just south of the Town of Ketchum (immediate neighbor to Sun Valley, as well as a BLM CG out toward Trail Creek. But don't know whether they close them during winter. See ya out here. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Actually Howelsen Hill Ski Area CO (1915) was the first ...
https://www.skiinghistory.org/histor...y-were-founded
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:23 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2002 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/slide
Los Osos , California
Sorry for the late response. We head to Park City RV Resort in the winter. I drive a 2002 Airstream 390XL and tow either a Jeep or Ford Explorer. I'm planning to do a month up there come Feb. 2017. The roads are kept clear. PCRV keeps their water lines heated. Another place we go to in the winter is Mammoth Lakes RV Park. They keep their asphalt parking area open. No sewer or water, just electric. The other place we go to is Squaw Valley for spring skiing. You can spend up to three nights free in the employee parking lot. No utilities.
JosefZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:04 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
dallas , Texas
I am planning to park my 2013 flying cloud 25 at whistler riverside rv park with full hookup for the whole ski season to ski.

I don't know if it can be done and how it will turn out. I will give it a try. If it doesn't work, then I can abandon the plan and rent a house/condo instead.

So here is my plan and would love some input.

1. I wonder if I can "rent" a bigger propane tank from the propane company and fill them on site regularly since the trailer will not move the whole winter. Bigger tank, more economical and less trips to refill the smaller 30lbs tanks.

I will keep the furnace running at 50F (10C) during the day when we are not there.

2. Do all necessary insulations to reduce the heat loss.

3. Having a dehumidifier inside running

4. We will cook dinners inside the AS. But will use shower facility somewhere else.

5. I do plan to plug in the plumbing and use the toilet. If it doesn't work, I can give it up.

We will be spending most of our time in the library, on the ski slope, at the sports complex (for shower and sauna facility).

When we are in our AS, it will be cooking dinner and breathing that generates humidity.

For keeping us warm, with furnace, space heater, electrical blanket, down comforter, it shouldn't be a problem (or not?).

Also I hope to rent a ski locker at the base and store all our skis and boots there.

Doable or not? Where are the potential problems? Comfort or discomfort?
spreadmywing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreadmywing View Post
I am planning to park my 2013 flying cloud 25 at whistler riverside rv park with full hookup for the whole ski season to ski.

I don't know if it can be done and how it will turn out. I will give it a try. If it doesn't work, then I can abandon the plan and rent a house/condo instead.

So here is my plan and would love some input.

1. I wonder if I can "rent" a bigger propane tank from the propane company and fill them on site regularly since the trailer will not move the whole winter. Bigger tank, more economical and less trips to refill the smaller 30lbs tanks.

I will keep the furnace running at 50F (10C) during the day when we are not there.

2. Do all necessary insulations to reduce the heat loss.

3. Having a dehumidifier inside running

4. We will cook dinners inside the AS. But will use shower facility somewhere else.

5. I do plan to plug in the plumbing and use the toilet. If it doesn't work, I can give it up.

We will be spending most of our time in the library, on the ski slope, at the sports complex (for shower and sauna facility).

When we are in our AS, it will be cooking dinner and breathing that generates humidity.

For keeping us warm, with furnace, space heater, electrical blanket, down comforter, it shouldn't be a problem (or not?).

Also I hope to rent a ski locker at the base and store all our skis and boots there.

Doable or not? Where are the potential problems? Comfort or discomfort?

Advice / thoughts from someone who has never done it before:

Yes, have lots of propane on hand. You don't want to make it an emergency. If not bigger tanks, maybe more of them.

Park in a spot that gets you the most amount of sun for the longest time. I'd think orienting north-south would keep sunlight coming in Windows the best too.

Maybe be very ready (clear on the procedures) to winterize if all goes to poorly. Like if furnace goes out. There is also a Y fitting that I found and plan to get that will make pumping the fluid in a breeze. If I can find a link, I'll post it.

I thought this through and for our purposes, we wouldn't be spending enough time on the ski trip (1-2 weeks max) to justify the risk especially factoring the variable of driving. An entire ski season though... that would be totally worth it. Do this thread a favor though and report back with your experience.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:15 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
dallas , Texas
Thanks for the input!

We spent two ski seasons in French alps in the past two winters. (We homeschool and travel full time but station at one location in the winter without moving).

We stayed in a chalet. Life was very simple and singular: learning (homeschooling/French) and skiing. The rest was routine of living (shopping for grocery cooking sleeping).

We loved the simplicity of our winters. So that is where the ideas about spending time in the library and ski slope came from.

This time why do I want to do it with AS?

1. Since I do have an AS now. Either I store it or use it.

2. Want to motivate ourselves to be out skiing even more. We did around 50 days skiing this past winter. Didn't sound a lot but in fact we were quite motivated. It was a short season (snow came around mid January and pretty much gone by mid April)

But there were days, we were just too cozy and comfortable around the fireplace in the chalet to want to go out.

3. Cost driven. This is not the most important factor. But if I do save money than I can spend money on other things. Last season I chose not to have a car when living in French alps. I became fitter carrying my skis to catch bus, saved headache dealing with snow and used all the money saved for massages for myself and kids. )

So we could eat out more, more spa time and more massages...

What would be deal breakers in this set up for me?
1. Potential Damage to my AS and end up with costly repair

2. Too uncomfortable that my kids would threaten to run away from home if we continue...))

3. Logistic nightmare that I would spend more time dealing with issues than focusing on homeschooling and skiing

4. Some other unexpected issues.

For sure I will report back. Also I will still keep my tow vehicle with me but I probably will use the rv park's free shuttle, walk or cross country ski to our ski locker at the base (if I find one for the season) and then change to downhill skis. I don't like to drive in snow.

I do appreciate all inputs so I can anticipate or need to find accommodations with four walls for the season.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:47 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2002 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/slide
Los Osos , California
I know the park. Have you ever been to Whistler? They get tons of snow. We go often. We've had our best luck using VRBO. The Aspens on Blackcomb are very nice. I just checked them for the month of February 2017. Rates started at $2600 for the month. We usually get the Mountain Collective pass that gets you two free days at numerous ski slopes and half price after that, no blackouts. You should get your pass now if your planning to ski all winter. Jealous. It is one of the great areas of the world to ski or board.
JosefZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:50 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
dallas , Texas
Hi Josef

Yes I have visited whistler in winter twice in the past but I was not a skier at that time so it was not helpful to me now. skier and non skier are totally different perspective.

So no, I haven't visited whistler as skier. And haven't visited the rv park either.

I have already bought all our passes (early bird special). I did look into the mountain collective pass! One of the things on my list to do is to travel to all the resorts on the pass and ski at different resorts (my grand ski tour). Maybe in the future. Right now I don't want to drive in snow.

$2600/month, that is good price! I was seeing ca$6000/month based on Airbnb.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:51 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
dallas , Texas
FYI. good tips here

http://www.gonewiththewynns.com/wint...age-1#comments
Old 08-21-2016, 11:57 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
I just passed through Whistler and definitely want it head back in the future to ski. How is the Sea to Sky towing in the winter?

There is one more Oregon option, Willamette Pass offers RV parking and has a handful of first come power poles. Also, the Mt. Hood resorts can be accessed from Hood River, which would be far less wintery and still a short drive to the resorts.

I haven't towed yet in the winter for a ski trip, but it is definitely on my soon to do list!
Old 08-24-2016, 06:57 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreadmywing View Post
Thanks for the input!

We spent two ski seasons in French alps in the past two winters. (We homeschool and travel full time but station at one location in the winter without moving).

Let me start by saying: I hate you. 😄 But I'll add that it's 100% jealousy driven. Haven't had a chance to read the rest yet but plan to. I may PM you as well. My wife and I have been discussing how we spend a few "semesters" abroad with our 7yr old someday.