Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2021, 05:54 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
Winterizing question

Hey all, I just joined the Airstream club with a 2017 Flying Cloud 23d. I have owned many crappy trailers over the years so although new to the quality of airstreams I have dealt with many POS trailers over the years.
Winterizing is something I have always done with a compressor so I followed the same protocol.
Pump all the water out of the holding tank, opened the low point valves and the holding tank, blew compressed air tap by tap until no water came out and added some antifreeze to the drains. My only question is do you need to do anything physically to the pump? On my other crappy trailers I used to detach the inlet and the outlet of the pump however on this trailer it does not seem like any of the instructions out there state to do so. Thanks in advance.
Rudyistaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 06:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
If you ONLY blow out the lines, you DO need to open the outlet on the pump and drain it Blowing out the lines will not get the water out of the pump. HOWEVER, if you pump anitfreeze through it is unnecessary. The antifreeze will push out or dilute the water enough so it won’t freeze. That’s what I do and have not had a problem. I live in Wisconsin. Not much colder than that Except ALBERTA!!! Might want to use the -100F stuff

One other thing is I take off the water filter that leads from the tank to the pump. Often water will reside there and it needs to be dabbed up a bit. No big deal. I’m a bit nerdy on that.

Also on the AS you only need to open the water valve underneath. That will drain the tank. Don’t need to pump the water out. What little water is left in the tank will not be a problem.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 06:25 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
Appreciate the help!
Old 10-03-2021, 06:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I blew out my plumbing on a renovation project. Then I removed all the copper plumbing lines. I was quite surprised how much water was still in the copper pipes. I don't think blow out is enough, especially the plastic toilet flush valve.

So bypass your water heater, drain your water heater, then pump RV antifreeze throughout the system, every faucet, both hot and cold.

There are as many recipes for winterizing your Airstream as there are for chili.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 06:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudyistaken View Post
Appreciate the help!
Lots of air….open all valves and low point drains…toilet valve..shower..black tank flush….out side water valve….
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 06:56 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
I blew out my plumbing on a renovation project. Then I removed all the copper plumbing lines. I was quite surprised how much water was still in the copper pipes. I don't think blow out is enough, especially the plastic toilet flush valve.

So bypass your water heater, drain your water heater, then pump RV antifreeze throughout the system, every faucet, both hot and cold.

There are as many recipes for winterizing your Airstream as there are for chili.

David
I would but cannot stand the smell of the antifreeze. Not sure why but I can smell it all season!
Old 10-03-2021, 07:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Appreciate the help!
Lots of air….open all valves and low point drains…toilet valve..shower..
Old 10-03-2021, 07:43 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
I drain, and blow out with air and remove the inlet and outlet to the pump so it completely drains. I only use antifreeze in the sink and shower drains.--Frank
Equalizer Hitch
fran&frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 02:35 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fran&frank View Post
I drain, and blow out with air and remove the inlet and outlet to the pump so it completely drains. I only use antifreeze in the sink and shower drains.--Frank
^1

The AS survived the Texas storm when the temp hit 3 degrees F here. No heat was on in the trailer.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 08:17 AM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Lots of air….open all valves and low point drains…toilet valve..shower..black tank flush….out side water valve….

45psi constant, with at ALL outlets open one at a time for a total of 15-20min.
NEVER pressurize a closed system.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	80AC4BAD-F014-4174-B03E-C0C0C497B6F7_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	405469  
Old 10-04-2021, 09:07 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Hey all, I just joined the Airstream club with a 2017 Flying Cloud 23d. I have owned many crappy trailers over the years so although new to the quality of airstreams I have dealt with many POS trailers over the years.
Winterizing is something I have always done with a compressor so I followed the same protocol.
Pump all the water out of the holding tank, opened the low point valves and the holding tank, blew compressed air tap by tap until no water came out and added some antifreeze to the drains. My only question is do you need to do anything physically to the pump? On my other crappy trailers I used to detach the inlet and the outlet of the pump however on this trailer it does not seem like any of the instructions out there state to do so. Thanks in advance.
Quote:
I would but cannot stand the smell of the antifreeze. Not sure why but I can smell it all season!

One other thing that needs to be done, if your trailer has one, is to remove the water filter cartridge and insert the winterizing plug.
There is a good step by step winterizing instruction in your owner's manual on page 8-15, that is specific to your trailer.
https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...manual-149.pdf

My advice is to use antifreeze in all water lines for winterizing. I did mine yesterday! I've only had freezing issuse after I blew out the pipes and I did not get all of the water out.
(I have had to repair split pipes and a cracked pump head)

After years of smelling and tasting antifreeze after flushing the antifreeze in the spring, I read on this forum that it is necessary to open the low point drains during the flushing process because they retain a column of antifreeze if they are not emptied. This antifreeze bleeds slowly upward into the rest of the system all summer, if not flushed out. Now that I open the low point drains while flushing, there is no smell or taste of antifreeze at all.
Old 10-04-2021, 10:06 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Don’t forget the water filter under the sink, if you have one
Old 10-05-2021, 06:50 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
Thanks for the help all!