Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2020, 11:03 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Basalt , Colorado
De-Winterizing & Winterizing after short trip to TX

Wanting to take a 2-3 week trip from Colorado to Big Bend Tx, for some warmth. Should I de-winterize prior to leaving CO or when I hit warmer weather. What is the best way to do it.
The same on return, winterize prior to Colorado or when I get home. I understand it is best to do at a dump station, but do some have a compressor to blow out the line. Or should I find a RV center to do it (my wife hates staying at one when we are traveling) Or should we not worry about it and leave it winterized?
This is our first “winter” get away and I am still new about all of this. I have a 2014 Airsteam Sprinter Interstate 24’
Thanks in advance! Peter
Jasper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:24 PM   #2
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
If all of the plumbing and tanks are in heated areas of your Interstate then you can de-winterize before you leave and have fresh water on board with you and hot water when you want it.

I would winterize again while still in a warm place as it is easier to do - especially the waste tanks at a dump station. Many truck stops have a dump station for RVs for a fee.

You can, however, winterize the plumbing when you get home as long as the inside plumbing is kept warm.

Viair makes good portable air compressors that can be used for winterization. If you have rear duallies you might want to consider the 400P-RV. Viair also makes a RV winterization kit with a pressure regulator.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I do this every year, leave PA and head to SC, then come back. I de-winterize at the first campground we get to, making sure we have full hookups and provided temperatures are above freezing. This permits a hookup to sewer and water, which allows for ample flushing of the lines.

For the trip back, I winterize down south, unless temps up north will be above freezing when I return. (I have a nice garage to blow out the lines and add antifreeze, and like doing it at home if I can) HOWEVER, I dump all tanks down south, flush the black tank good and drain the water tank and water lines, and don't use water/bathroom on way home.

On my unit, the water heater stays in bypass mode when de-winterizing, when everything's flushed out good, I open up the water heater bypass valve and let it fill. When prepping to return, I bypass the water heater first, drain it, and put a new plug in.

I always have the manual handy when doing the process, it helps considerably.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
It depends upon how quickly you will get to warm weather. Unless it is really cold having water in the tanks won’t freeze when the trailer is moving. I do agree that de-winterizing is easier in a warm area.

A couple years ago I left in March when it was freezing (in 20’s) in NE Wisconsin. I knew that I would be in above freezing temps in about 5 hours. So I de-winterized at home and kept the furnace going at night before we left. I turned off the furnace while traveling and we had no problem.

I didn’t winterize when I got back in April! We had a crazy snow storm in early April. Got 24 inches of snow. I just turned the furnace down to 50 degrees for a few days until temps were back.

But I think I would winterize at home. Dump all the tanks at a dump station. Keep the furnace on low when I get home. Next day go through the process. The reason is I can blow out the lines etc easier since I have my compressor, etc. Once you get it down it really only takes about 30 minutes to winterize. Not much is going to freeze that quickly. Unless it is really below zero.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:50 AM   #5

2005 25' Safari
Ketchum , Idaho
I just did something similar. Left the mountains in ID on a trip to CA. We dewinterized before we left as it was in the low 30's. On the way back we planned on winterizing in Twin Falls ID as the temp was to be about 30 degrees and were sure we could do it. The issue was traveling through the mountains in NV it was 5 degrees and we froze. I was able to thaw the tanks and empty them but not the lines in the trailer. WE drove home that night and were able to put it inside, thaw it and then re winterize it. Bottom line it depends on the temps. If I had to do it over again I would have re winterized in CA. BTW we have a bypass valve so we winterize with antifreeze.
Ketchumtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:22 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Basalt , Colorado
Thank You all for you responds on my question about winterizing & dewinterizing on my planned trip to Big Bend TX Peter : )
Jasper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 02:31 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

​2020 Atlas​
Cleveland , Georgia
Dumb question: how do you get the RV antifreeze into your water tank? Funnel?
Krikati is offline   Reply With Quote