Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-26-2021, 07:49 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Little Rock , Arkansas
Temperature freeze damage occurs

I had to leave town unexpectedly and have not completely winterized our 2018 International. I had drained the hot water tank, gray and black tank and had run the water pump until no water was dripping. I have not blown out the lines or put in antifreeze.It is going to get down to 28 for a couple of hours. What kind of damage am I to except?
Billyjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 07:52 AM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
28 degrees for 2 hours = no damage.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 07:57 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post

Well that makes me feel better!
Billyjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 08:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Umm. Maybe. Do you feel lucky, punk?

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 09:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
It depends on the daytime high temperature. If it’s relatively warm during the day, say 40 or 50 degrees, then you should be okay below freezing for a couple of hours. If you have an extended period of time with temperatures below freezing, then you could have trouble. I don’t think tanks are the major concern. The bigger concern in my opinion is water in the lines that could freeze and rupture a line.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 09:56 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
Umm. Maybe. Do you feel lucky, punk?

Mike
Maybe it depends on where the 'freeze' is.
In the tanks...not so much.
In the lines...much.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 12-26-2021, 10:04 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Oriental , North Carolina
I would, based on experience, think there would be no damage considering the short time span.
Captn.Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 10:39 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
2000 31' Excella
Mukilteo , Washington
Pex…

Even our 1999 Excella Classic is plumbed with PEX, which is designed to expand 10x its diameter before bursting. I’m sure you’ll be fine!
Luna1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 10:40 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Noblesville , Indiana
The thermal mass of the ground most likely will keep your unit from freezing. (since you are in Arkansas). I watch my exterior temps on my Victron Cerbo, about 1' from the ground and this time of year, it's amazing how much difference there will be from my weather station. Later in the winter, not so much of a difference.
vanderwielen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 10:56 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The real answer is that there is no exact answer.

How strong is the wind?

Which way is the wind blowing?

How sheltered is your campsite?

Are you running the heaters?

Is the temp at the weather station or measured at your campsite?

If at the weather station, is your campsite 5 degrees off from there ( it does happen ...)?

Is the water hose still connected?

Folks camp out all the time in the 20's with water still in the trailer. When we do this, we take some care about the nasty details above. It can get pretty cold and things will be ok, if you are not on the wrong side of some little gotcha.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 11:07 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
PEX is very forgiving. Here in the high desert it routinely falls into 20's at night. On occasion into the high teens. I have yet to have a problem with the plumbing.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 11:16 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2023 28' International
Mercer County , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna1967 View Post
Even our 1999 Excella Classic is plumbed with PEX, which is designed to expand 10x its diameter before bursting. I’m sure you’ll be fine!
Did you mean 10%? Or is it actually designed to expand 10x?
jeffb831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 11:41 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' International
2010 22' Interstate
Carol Stream , Illinois
temperature freeze damage occurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyjeter View Post
I had to leave town unexpectedly and have not completely winterized our 2018 International. I had drained the hot water tank, gray and black tank and had run the water pump until no water was dripping. I have not blown out the lines or put in antifreeze.It is going to get down to 28 for a couple of hours. What kind of damage am I to except?
Not sure this helps but I left my Interstate at the Mercedes dealership for repairs and told them that since i didn't yet winterize and the temps will be in the 20's overnight that they keep the vehicle indoors which they said they would. They didn't.
When I came to pick up the vehicle my water pump didn't turn on and i thought the worst. They apologized.
I put my vehicle in a 50 degree heated garage for a day and the pump worked, no leaks and all seems to be ok.
I guess there must be more variables to consider fyi
John Millner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 12:05 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna1967 View Post
But there is zero expansion capability with the toilet pedal valve. Not much water there, but it is enough to crack the valve if it freezes (been there, done that).
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 12:14 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Daphne , Alabama
Run heater.

Do you have someone that can run the heater? Set on 60 and you should be good. Or put in a space heater or 2. Cheap insurance.
tjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 04:16 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
Probably none...

Damage caused by freezing temperatures is due to the expansion of the water in enclosed places when it freezes. Just like an ice cube, it expands as it freezes, enclosed in plastic, something has to give!.

Scary as it sounds, it takes quite a bit of freezing cold with no higher "day" temperatures. And, if you've drained the tanks and the fresh water you don't have too much to freeze. We are Northern California and we get several days of freezing weather at a time, but we've never winterized and we've never had any damage either. Drain the fresh water, drain the black and gray tanks and watch the daily highs and lows.

We dp have a cabin that is exposed to freezing from about October through April and we do winterize that. Drain the tanks, put a small amount of antifreeze in the drain lines and leave the taps open (water off) so any expansion of water in the lines just causes a drip.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 04:24 PM   #17

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjansen View Post
Do you have someone that can run the heater? Set on 60 and you should be good. Or put in a space heater or 2. Cheap insurance.
Space heater won't penetrate into all the areas where the piping is. Furnace outlets are designed to provide blow hot air into those places. When freezing weather occurred in early spring or prior to winterizing, I would turn on the water heater to its electric mode and would set the furnace thermostat to its minimum setting. That would assure nothing got damaged.

Lot's of factors about 28 degrees and to assume it won't cause damage is risky at best.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 11:31 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
2000 31' Excella
Mukilteo , Washington
PEX except at the loo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
But there is zero expansion capability with the toilet pedal valve. Not much water there, but it is enough to crack the valve if it freezes (been there, done that).
We keep two heaters in the Excella, one at the bathroom door, October thru April geared to keep her in the mid-50’s when we’re not using her. She lives on our island property, 3 hours away if everything aligns perfectly… Our neighbor has the extra keys, know how, and checks in on the coach at times like this (19 degrees &#128563.
Luna1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 06:41 AM   #19
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ok, so what *can* get damaged:

1) Any PEX crimp that wasn't quite right and then separates. (The tube is fine, the fitting may be ok, but maybe some guy named Bob did the crimp .... ).

2) Faucets and valves of any sort (metal or plastic). If there is enough water in them then can freeze and burst. Drain valves on the black and gray tanks are in this category and they sit right out in the breeze. ( yes it takes a lot of cooling to freeze them ... how strong is the wind?). Outdoor shower faucets are in this category as well. Those cute little low point drain valves hanging down under the trailer .... yup, they are on the list.

3) The pressure regulator on the city water intake. This beast sits right by the water intake fitting along with a back flow prevention valve. One or the other can / does / might freeze. They are "right there" in terms of being in the outside air. Not crazy hard to replace if they do get damaged.

4) The water heater is the biggie interns of the cost of the device. It takes a *lot* to freeze a water heater. The same insulation that keeps the water hot also protects a bit from cooling. Even a modest amount of water can ruin one if it freezes.

5) Drain traps if you have them. A lot of RV's are set up with little inline "flapper gizmos" rather than a normal trap with water in it. Even the flapper version holds some water so they are not immune to damage.

The big deal in all of this is something that lets go un-noticed. Water gets everywhere and sits for a long time. That damage is not cheap to fix.

In a normal fall setting, you are parked over un-frozen ground. Also the wind in most places dies down at night. The underside of your RV stays warmer than the surrounding air. If the air is at 25 degrees, it may be 40 degrees under the RV. Have a strong wind come along from the "wrong" direction and that all changes. Simple answer: Pick a campsite that is a bit sheltered ....

Fun !!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 07:01 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
2016 28' Flying Cloud
Defiance , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjansen View Post
This would be the best thing to do if you can get someone to turn the heat on. Will like be ok anyway as others have said. Good luck
62olander is offline   Reply With Quote