Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2021, 10:05 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
It has been my experience that if you drain everything, leave all the faucets open so that any water in the faucet itself can drain out and or expand a little, and pour a little antifreeze down each drain (to keep the p traps from freezing)that you are good to go down to a very low temp.....

just because this works for me does not mean it will work for everyone else, not to mention that my airstream is a 1968.....it is completely plumbed with home depot brand pex supply lines, so that helps I am sure.....If a camper is plumbed with cpvc garbage, I would be nervous below 25 degrees unless I had blown out everything.....
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 07:41 AM   #22
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcurtiss View Post
It has been my experience that if you drain everything, leave all the faucets open so that any water in the faucet itself can drain out and or expand a little, and pour a little antifreeze down each drain (to keep the p traps from freezing)that you are good to go down to a very low temp.....

just because this works for me does not mean it will work for everyone else, not to mention that my airstream is a 1968.....it is completely plumbed with home depot brand pex supply lines, so that helps I am sure.....If a camper is plumbed with cpvc garbage, I would be nervous below 25 degrees unless I had blown out everything.....
Hi

The risk there is that some water heaters need to be blown out ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 11:01 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2019 20' Flying Cloud
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Shouldn’t have any damage with 28 degrees for a few hours. Last night it was 25 in Las Vegas and my water hose froze up but no damage. It was under 32 degrees for 7 hours. Wouldn’t want to test it much more than that. You will be ok if that’s all the colder it gets. Good luck. Joe
Backfortyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 06:59 AM   #24

2014 30' International
Austin , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyjeter View Post
Well that makes me feel better!

Should be fine. We had a couple of nights down to 25 here in Austin and the only problem I found was the Vacuum assembly (backflow preventer) on the black tank flush froze and cracked. Took a bit to figure out where the leak was from but an easy fix. on our '14 international 30' RB it is located behind the bathroom sink on the inside of the wall.

Also be aware that the valve in the toilet is extremely susceptible to freezing, apparently.

* AS was unoccupied so no furnace or electric heat. I did winterize but didn't think to flush the black rinse inlet. Now I will.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
moll780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 08:29 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Henderson , Kentucky
Was trailer high side up to drain low point drains? Where faucets open? Are your lines plastic? Is there wind chill? If absolute low is 28degrees hopefully minimal or none. Protected lines may not freeze, shower line, maybe, but low point drains can suck lines dry.