Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2021, 11:32 AM   #1
JAW
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Asheville , North Carolina
Question for the seasoned owners

I am leaving for a 10 day trip this coming Saturday, but the weather is playing a cruel April fools joke on me and temps look to get down to 23 degrees Thursday night. My question is do I need to go through the winterizing process all over again right before my trip???

See attached forecast, the red line is Fahrenheit.

~Josh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Forecast2.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	392005  
JAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Probably not. Below freezing just for a few hours with warmer daytime temperatures shouldn’t cause any harm, and I wouldn’t. You could also turn on furnace or use an electric space heater if you’re concerned. But it’s up to you ...

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:53 AM   #3
JAW
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
I am leaning towards better safe than sorry; however, it is pretty well protected on most sides from any wind.

Hmm, not sure why it loaded upside down.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Airstream.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	505.3 KB
ID:	392006  
Old 03-30-2021, 11:58 AM   #4
JAW
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan and Liz View Post
Probably not. Below freezing just for a few hours with warmer daytime temperatures shouldn’t cause any harm, and I wouldn’t. You could also turn on furnace or use an electric space heater if you’re concerned. But it’s up to you ...
Thanks for the reply Dan! I was definitely going to turn on the Furnace if I decided not to winterize. Considering it will only be below freezing for 12-13 hours I will likely follow your advise and not winterize, barring anyone coming on here with a horror story.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Leave your lower cabinet doors open so warm air can get to the pipes. A space heater that rotates could help as well.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:25 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
2017 22' Sport
Coral Canyon, Washington City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAW View Post
I am leaving for a 10 day trip this coming Saturday, but the weather is playing a cruel April fools joke on me and temps look to get down to 23 degrees Thursday night. My question is do I need to go through the winterizing process all over again right before my trip???

~Josh
We live in southern Utah, where winter temps can range from 28 degrees overnight to 70 daytime. Last Labor Day at Cedar Breaks, 10,000 feet elevation, 23 degrees overnight.

I DRAIN all tanks, water pump and water heater and carry potable water in a carry tank and use pink anti-freeze to flush toilet with a small amount of anti-freeze remaining in the bowl, after the ball value froze to the bowl and the flush lever broke off trying to push the valve open. Major project to replace plastic linkage

Don't want the black water tank to freeze! Warm water on stove to wash up.
MrStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:29 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
When you say 'trip', do you mean you will be traveling over 10 days or are you going someplace and staying for 10 days? I'm not sure if it would freeze in the pipes but if it does it could be pretty expensive to repair.

When we travel, if the temp were going that low for several hours, I'd blow air through the lines or pump a gallon of RV antifreeze through the lines. I'd have a couple gallons of water for flushing the toilet, drinking, cooking, etc. and use the CG facilities where I stopped.

I have closed the valve to the water heater, opened the faucets and pumped a gallon into the lines. It's a 15 minute job and good insurance. But that's me, a belt and suspenders kind of guy.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:32 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
Unless the cold is for quite a while with no higher tempertures during the day, you don't need to worry too much. The furnace is set up to warm the pipes and the tanks as it heats the trailer (not the heat pump if you have one, that's not effective). Just remember to empty and store your water hose at night, that sucker will freeze solid.

We got into some 20 degree nights last year and everything was great except the frozen water hose, at least it didn't explode. It warmed up to the mid 40s during the day for us and that kept everything from freezing solid.

Two things, the more "stuff" in your tanks, the longer it will take to freeze, so if you are carrying fresh water, be sure it is topped off. The other? Not for your fresh water, but for the gray and black tanks if you are concerned about them freezing you can always add the RV antifreeze to what is in there even while you are using the trailer. Does no harm and will keep them from freezing.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 04:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
If it were me, I would disconnect from city water, set furnace to 50 (if electric is available, use a space heater) and open cabinet doors. Keep your hot water heater going on electric or LP.
We have been in the 20’s many times without issue.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 04:19 PM   #10

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrady62 View Post
If it were me, I would disconnect from city water, set furnace to 50 (if electric is available, use a space heater) and open cabinet doors. Keep your hot water heater going on electric or LP.
We have been in the 20’s many times without issue.
A space heater does little or nothing for the space below the floor (tanks, a few water lines, etc.) When cheating the winterization thing, the furnace is a better choice.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:40 PM   #11
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
The best winter freeze protection is no water in the PEX tubing or adjacent fittings. The industry is moving from brass to plastic fittings, but the freeze disclaimer holds for either. First choice would be to blow the system with air. The second choice is to pump antifreeze through out the system. The third and easiest procedure is to open all faucets, valves, spray hoses and let the system drain itself. If the system freezes the expansion will cause no damage. Two things in either case: You must disconnect both inlet and outlets of the pump and run it to pump out any residual internal water. Also, you must blow out the city water inlet or it will freeze and leak later. The back flow valve will prevent it from draining. I do the drain sequence first and if time permits, follow up with ablow out. I only use antifreeze in the "P" traps. I was caught flat footed during the last TX Polar Blast and had to use heat to unfreeze tubing before I could get air to blow through it. The City water fill is my only concern since it would not initially pass air.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 11:15 PM   #12
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Hello from Colorado!

You are fine at those temps. Run the furnace at night to keep the tanks warm and you won’t have any problems. Winter camping is great!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2164.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	392122  
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 04:38 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Very Good Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
A space heater does little or nothing for the space below the floor (tanks, a few water lines, etc.) When cheating the winterization thing, the furnace is a better choice.
We do use both but David, you are absolutely correct. If your space heater is doing all the work, below deck is getting nothing.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:19 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
We’ve been camping for the last week and we’ve had three nights with temperatures in the low 20s. It has been near 60 degrees during the day. My strategy has been to disconnect the city water and bring my hose and filter inside for the night, and to keep the furnace running. So far, we haven’t had any issues at all.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:56 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
MikeBrady62's advice was almost exactly what I did when camping in Florida's panhandle (Destin) in late Dec/early January, when temps were in the 20's at night. The only difference is I used propane for heat because the heat pump just doesn't work below 40 degrees. I set the propane around 45 or 50 degrees and it kept things toasty. A key assumption though is that the low temps are temporary i.e. cold at night, warms up during day. If it had been that cold for several days 24/7, I would have winterized.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 01:07 PM   #16
JAW
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Thanks for all the responses!

Richw46 - I will be camping for 10 days. 5 days at one campground 5.5 hrs from my house and then 5 days at another campground a couple hours away from the first one.

Since the camper is in my driveway and my compressed air is only feet away, I went ahead and blew out the lines and emptied my water storage tank and water heater, no hose hooked up. My black tank is only at 5% and the gray at 25% so I am just going to leave those how they are and turn on the furnace tonight.

Thanks again for all the help and advice, this is a great resource and community to be apart of.

Happy travels!!
Old 04-01-2021, 02:34 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
Temperature Dropping

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAW View Post

~Josh
We went camping last weekend. Took our FC our of winter lay up. 20's last night, snowed today, and below 30 again tonight. Turned the furnace on and keeping the FC at 50 until this passes. Still paranoid and check it before bed and in the morning before work. So far, no problem.

My opinion, same as others, run the furnace and you will be fine.
WBCCI #6826
We have Year-Round Courtesy Parking.
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:30 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
We seek out the cooler temps.
The forced air heater is your best friend.
The colder it is outside the warmer it is is inside.
Turn the heat up. A hot trailer will not freeze pipes.
If electricity is available also use a small space heater. I do not understand the heat pump, loud and inefficient.
Never leave the city water hose connected and use the internal H20 tank.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2879.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	392332  
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 04:08 PM   #19
Tim Can Tena

1969 31' Sovereign
St Albert , Alberta
Wouldn’t worry too much, furnace on & leave your cupboard doors open in the galley & bathroom
Tin Can Tena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 04:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
The heat pump doesn’t do much below 45 degrees, and it doesn’t send warm air to the tanks. The furnace is the way to go in colder temps.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote