Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2020, 03:34 PM   #21
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
And from the Permatex Website

https://www.permatex.com/products/lu...e-up-grease-4/

Copied:

Automobile
Suggested Applications: All electrical connections, spark plug boots, trailer hitches

DIRECTIONS FOR CONNECTORS:

Directions for Connectors:
Make sure ignition system is off.
Clean surface with Permatex[emoji768] Contact Cleaner.
Coat both parts of terminal contact with Dielectric Grease.
Reassemble, maintaining metal-to-metal contact.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:37 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Dielectric grease prevents a good connection. It's used to protect the contact once created. It's usually used on things like spark plug boots, on the inside, to prevent the spark from jumping elsewhere. Is that what you meant, add it after making the connection?

Dielectric grease, or tune-up grease, is a silicone-based grease that repels moisture and protects electrical connections against corrosion. ... The grease does not conduct electricity, so it shouldn't be applied directly to the mating surfaces (pins and sockets) of an electrical connection
www.farmandfleet.com
Yes, I slathered everything with dielectric grease after assembly and before tightening.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:18 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Yes, I slathered everything with dielectric grease after assembly and before tightening.
Larry
So here's my story.
My Mercury outboard owners manual says to use dielectric grease when I change the spark plugs. Having never used it, I slathered it all over the plug cap and boot connector. I take it to the lake and crank the motor until the battery almost dies. I pull it out, pull the cowling, pull the plug wires off and clean off the dielectric grease from the plug caps and boot connectors. I drop it back in the water and it fires on the first crank.

I Googled dielectric grease and what I found is what I posted. On my Permatex package of dielectric grease it says to apply it to the boot and the ceramic base, not the contacts. When I apply grease to my battery connections I make the connection first, then apply grease to the outside of the connectors to prevent corrosion. However, the Permatex package says to coat all areas of the connectors with dielectric grease.

My experience with the spark plugs tells me the grease is not allowing the best connection possible. On a battery it probably doesn't make much difference, but on a sensitive electrical connection I wouldn't do it, particularly high voltage like spark plugs. I guess I could go a step further and do a continuity check on a glob of the grease and see the outcome, but now I'm old, fat and lazy. Fishing seems more to my liking these days.

2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:56 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
I have a Barker 3000 and use 30 amp slow blow fuses. Napa carries them but I had to order them next day del. Three packs please.

I have also replaced the switch and have a supply of the rubber toggle covers as they often do not last a winter...longer with my new quality cover from Barker. Nice and a good investment

As for the dialectic...misused the clue. Bought some at Napa and I was expecting a tube...ya know...a tube. What they had were very small packets maybe an inch long x 1/4" or less... call it a dab. Should have been my clue to use sparingly. I used it on the 7 pin and had to wrap the connection with cord to keep it connected on that trip. Cleaned it up with a bunch of q-tips and much better, but hard to get off the contacts.

Live and learn

Happy Trails
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:33 PM   #25
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Di-electric grease is like many things.
In small doses it is excellent.

For a spark plug boot covering a spark plug that in automotive applications has a spark that may have 20,000 volts behind it, that grease isn't going to stop the spark. The spark will go through the grease to the spark plug tip connection just fine. Which is a good way to keep the spark from wandering too far off the path.

Just a little packed into the boot before installing the boot over the spark plug works. And the boot that has the connector in it should snap onto the spark plug end. That is the connection and the grease is water proof insulation to keeping the spark traveling to the end of the plug and jumping the gap. Any more grease can be an issue.

>>>>Action
Old 06-04-2020, 07:55 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Di-electric grease is like many things.
In small doses it is excellent.

For a spark plug boot covering a spark plug that in automotive applications has a spark that may have 20,000 volts behind it, that grease isn't going to stop the spark. The spark will go through the grease to the spark plug tip connection just fine. Which is a good way to keep the spark from wandering too far off the path.

Just a little packed into the boot before installing the boot over the spark plug works. And the boot that has the connector in it should snap onto the spark plug end. That is the connection and the grease is water proof insulation to keeping the spark traveling to the end of the plug and jumping the gap. Any more grease can be an issue.

>>>>Action

That wasn't my experience on my outboard motor. It wouldn't fire at all after I put the grease on it. I used a rag, wiped the plug clean and the boot as best as I could and it fired up. My searches on the Interweb say it's meant to be used to keep the spark from going where it shouldn't. Hence, put it on the inside of the boot but not on the connector, put it on the ceramic part of the plug, not on the tip.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 06-04-2020, 09:28 AM   #27
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
That wasn't my experience on my outboard motor. It wouldn't fire at all after I put the grease on it. I used a rag, wiped the plug clean and the boot as best as I could and it fired up. My searches on the Interweb say it's meant to be used to keep the spark from going where it shouldn't. Hence, put it on the inside of the boot but not on the connector, put it on the ceramic part of the plug, not on the tip.
I guess I was not clear

YES the grease goes inside the boot!
There is a connector inside the boot and that metal connector connects the spark plug cable to the spark plug. That connector HAS to make a physical contact or physical connection to the spark plug! The grease is to protect that connection.

No grease should be applied to the exterior of the spark plug that is not covered by the spark plug boot. The grease is to keep moisture and contaminantes away from the the connection between the spark plug cable and the spark plug. Such that the spark travels from the cable to the spark plug, through the spark plug and out the tip inside the combustion chamber. Not out the spark plug cable and away from the spark plug.

Action
Old 06-04-2020, 09:39 AM   #28
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
The purpose of the dielectric grease for an electric jack on a trailer (Or other low voltage circuits) would be to again keep dirt and moisture away from degrading that connection. The connection HAS to be physically made by contact. The grease in the connector is used to keep everything else out of the connector. Mostly moisture from humid air that corrodes or rusts the metal of a connector.

Action
Old 06-04-2020, 09:46 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
This is to stir the pot on dielectric grease: https://www.nyelubricants.com/myth-g...h-conductivity
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:10 AM   #30
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Larry,

Reminds me of a certain hot sauce commercial. I put that "stuff" on everything!

A little dab will do ya.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:05 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
I guess I was not clear

YES the grease goes inside the boot!
There is a connector inside the boot and that metal connector connects the spark plug cable to the spark plug. That connector HAS to make a physical contact or physical connection to the spark plug! The grease is to protect that connection.

No grease should be applied to the exterior of the spark plug that is not covered by the spark plug boot. The grease is to keep moisture and contaminantes away from the the connection between the spark plug cable and the spark plug. Such that the spark travels from the cable to the spark plug, through the spark plug and out the tip inside the combustion chamber. Not out the spark plug cable and away from the spark plug.

Action
Quote:
The purpose of the dielectric grease for an electric jack on a trailer (Or other low voltage circuits) would be to again keep dirt and moisture away from degrading that connection. The connection HAS to be physically made by contact. The grease in the connector is used to keep everything else out of the connector. Mostly moisture from humid air that corrodes or rusts the metal of a connector.
Action
I agree on both counts if in the second one you are saying to establish the connection, then use dielectric grease to protect it. However, even a thin layer applied before making the connection probably won't make much difference. I used regular grease (axle, wheel bearing, etc.) for years on some connections to prevent corrosion and they worked well. The only reason I started using dielectric was because of my outboard motor owners manual. It didn't say HOW to use it, just use it. I bought some, applied it, then read the instructions. Ready, Fire, Aim...

di·e·lec·tric
/ˌdīəˈlektrik/
Physics
adjective: dielectric; having the property of transmitting electric force without conduction; insulating.

noun: dielectric; plural noun: dielectrics
a medium or substance that transmits electric force without conduction; an insulator.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 06-04-2020, 03:34 PM   #32
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
A low voltage connection is not as critical. And the goal is the same in all connectors. Keep the connector from degrading.

It is the high voltage circuit that has some addition cause for concern. In a high voltage situation (spark across a spark plug) is where there is not a connection. The voltage has to jump across a air gap at the tip of the spark plug in a combustion chamber. In addition the spark is looking for a ground no matter where it can find it. The engine block is OK but that is not the desired event.

Dielectric grease keeps the spark traveling to the end of the center electrode to make that big jump across about 40 thousands of an inch gap. As that article points out the grease does insulate. It also lubricates the connections to make a more complete contact. And keeps out debris.

I have a 4 or 5 ounce tube of it that has lasted me 8 to 10 years so far. And I have a lot left too. I only use it on secondary ignition systems. Lower voltage connections not so much. I suppose one could use it. And it is a bit of over kill. Sorry Mercury wasn't a bit clearer on their instructions on use.

>>>>>>Action