Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2010, 11:19 PM   #1

1979 31' Sovereign
Richmond , Virginia
Looking for 2nd Gear Assy.

So, after a 4500+ mile run from Richmond, VA to Seward, AK, the trailer tongue jack failed as I was setting it up for a long stay. Upon disassembly, I found that the 2nd gear assembly (part number 684653) is stripped out over about 120 degrees. Shot and/or useless.

Does anybody know where I can get a replacement? I really do not want to remove the original electric tongue jack, but can, if I have to.

I am also missing one of the corner levelling jacks and have not been able to find an original replacement. The modern jacks, while probably stroonger than the original, do not match, so I have been reluctant to replace the missing one.
vwillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
There are a number of RV salvage yards around the country, most have web sites.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Flagstaff , Arizona
2nd Gear in Power Jack

Vwillet,

Funny you should mention that...Last night after parking the 1979 Sovereign I went to put down the power jack and got a whirrrrring noise.

After taking the cover off the 2nd gear is stripped to about 120 degrees. I was able to get the leg down and up again by manually removing and then reinserting the gear to the "non-stripped" portion (Watch your fingers ).

If you find somewhere to get a replacement please let me know and I will do the same. Good luck...

Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:47 PM   #4

1976 25' Caravanner
Pleasant View , Utah
Samething happened to me last night when we returnrd home. The OEM electric jack failed to lower. I removed the cover to expose two gears. They look good with no damage. I also have the clicking sound that you get at the end of the jacks travel. Both up and down. Does the larger gear lift out so I can inspect the lower drive gear without damage? I want to keep the original jack.
Please advise.
Thanks
Caravanner76 is offline   Reply With Quote