Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1983 34' Limited
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Vulkem, sikaflex, dicor

Ok I need to get something to fix a leaky window and some roof vent fans. Vulkem is suprisingly not available any where I can find in the metro area which I can not believe. The airstream dealer carries sikaflex and says it works great and that is what the factory uses now. They also have dicor self leveling (thought I might should use that on the roof vents and stuff?). Just wanted to know. If I use Vulkem I will have to continually order it and pay for shipping and probably never have enough when I need it. Sikaflex I can get litterally a block from where I work (that close to the dealer) so I am leaning towards that as to not have to much trouble getting it when I want it. Camping world is down the street as well and they also carry the dicor and sikaflex. Just wondering if Vulkem is worth the shipping hassles.
Being that I am full timing I really don't want to order a case and have to find another cubby hole to stash it in!

Thanks,
Matt
flyfishrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Nothing wrong with Sikaflex you want the 221. I use Vulkem because we have cases of it left over from some metal project that specified it. Trempro 635 will work too if you have it readily available, it is one of the newer generations of the polyurethanes. Biggest thing to avoid are the silicones.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Sikaflex is a similar product to the Trempro stuff. They are both polyurathane caulks. You should be fine. I order Trempro 635 from Fastenal.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Glendale , California
sealing fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbacksurfer View Post
I used the ETERNABOND ROOFSEAL PLUS 65 mil thick. Check out this video on YouTube RV roof repair I personally think this is way superior to caulking there is no way water can get in from this seal. Both fans the screws were totally rusted from factory . I had rear fan redone from reputable airstream service center still leaked , not anymore . Also this tape can be pulled up and replaced easily. May be I have to do that in 5 to ten years.
Check out this old post . I would consider this ETERNABOND ROOFSEAL. ALSO HERS IS FINISHED PHOTO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	287.5 KB
ID:	168626   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020036.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	168627  

silverbacksurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1983 34' Limited
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
So I was just at the dealer and talked to the airstream mechanic. He said he uses acry-r. He said yhe sikaflex cracks after a few years from the sun. He said anything out if the sun its great. Anyone heard of this other stuff?
flyfishrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Acryl-R

This is also a product that Airstream uses at the factory. They sell it at the factory store and thru the Airstream.com web store. They say it wicks into tight gaps better than vulkem and stay flexible over time without cracking. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote