Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2021, 11:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Possible to Swap Windows?

I have 2017 16’ Sport and wondering if it’s possible, or how difficult it would be, to swap the clear bathroom window with the frosted door window. I really don’t understand why my only viewing window on that side of the trailer is in the bathroom. And doesn’t it seem like the bathroom is more likely where you’d prefer a privacy window? Seems like such a weird choice to me by the manufacturer. I’d prefer clear windows altogether and opt for shades, but I don’t want to have to buy a new window. These look to be the same size and so I’m hoping it’s just a matter of swapping them, although I imagine that’s still a great deal of labor. Any thoughts?
polyester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:59 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
2001 19' Bambi
1978 25' Tradewind
Sanibel , Florida
Frosted film

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyester View Post
I have 2017 16’ Sport and wondering if it’s possible, or how difficult it would be, to swap the clear bathroom window with the frosted door window. I really don’t understand why my only viewing window on that side of the trailer is in the bathroom. And doesn’t it seem like the bathroom is more likely where you’d prefer a privacy window? Seems like such a weird choice to me by the manufacturer. I’d prefer clear windows altogether and opt for shades, but I don’t want to have to buy a new window. These look to be the same size and so I’m hoping it’s just a matter of swapping them, although I imagine that’s still a great deal of labor. Any thoughts?
I have used frosted window film from either Lowe’s or Home Depot. They had a bunch of options and was very easy to apply just make sure window is really clean.
Florida239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
From someone who has taken all the windows out of their vintage trailer and rebuilt them, this doesn't sound like a big deal. But I'm not sure on the window style of a 2017 Bambi - do they have the rubber seals or are they riveted frames?

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 02:29 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
From someone who has taken all the windows out of their vintage trailer and rebuilt them, this doesn't sound like a big deal. But I'm not sure on the window style of a 2017 Bambi - do they have the rubber seals or are they riveted frames?

Shari
There are rivets around the frame. Is that a good thing?
polyester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 08:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Yes, I think so...we have no experience with the rubber gasket windows. Just drill out the rivets, remove the two windows & reinstall in the new positions with Olympic Rivets. The holes in the windows will not line up but use the holes from each window to drill new ones in the new locations. Just be sure to use Trempro
with each rivet, a dab with each rivet & a bend under the frame of the exterior window. Shave, Dremmel or file your rivets, clean up the sealant & you're done! I would think this would be a ½ to 1 day project.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote