Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2008, 01:22 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
'Nice' Windows vs. 'Cheap' Windows on New Units

We'll probably be buying a new unit. I've seen quite a few comments on this forum about some models have the "cheap" windows. What are the features that makes it a quality window? Do they open out and all the way or what? Are any of them sliding (which I wouldn't care for).

Importantly, what new units offer the better windows? Is it all the Classic and all the Internationals? Do the Safari SEs have "quality" windows?
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:42 PM   #2
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
We took delivery of an '08 Safari 27 FB SE earlier this year. In talking with the salesman (who we purchased our earlier AS from) his advice was to go with the windows with the riveted frame that come with the SE model rather than the rubber sealed windows. His opinion was that they are sturdier, provide better ventilation based on the way they open and are more attractive.

Our earlier AS also had the riveted frame windows so we have what we've had all along.
Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I'm not sure just how this will translate with the basic Safari line turning into the '09 Flying Cloud. I'd hope a savvy dealer will speak up if they look in on this thread.

Traditional Safaris (not Special Editions) have Hehr windows -- anodized black frame with a small-ish lower section that opens. Circulation is related to openable window area and this is the sometime complaint about Hehrs. You'll see this type of window on some SOBs.

Classics, Internationals and Safari Special Editions have windows that hinge at the top with the whole window opening. Circulation is much better. I've loved this type window since my Argosy-owning days.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:48 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tiny spot on the map , Michigan
The Vista View windows are double paned, but are the other windows, of either type?
Fiamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:54 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiamma
The Vista View windows are double paned, but are the other windows, of either type?
Usually not. An exception I know of is the front hinged window in our Sovereign. It is a double pane non-glass window. I can only assume it is non-glass to save weight hanging from the top when open.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:13 PM   #6
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-JH
...What are the features that makes it a quality window? Do they open out and all the way or what? ....Importantly, what new units offer the better windows? Is it all the Classic and all the Internationals? Do the Safari SEs have "quality" windows?
hi az...

what IS nice is that all a/s windows are safety glass.

the less expensive and quicker to install windows look like this......

http://www.airforums.com/forums/329209-post35.html

a/s has used window from this company for 50+ years....

these black framed versions are painted black (this might be a powdercoat),

have a black butyl gasket and a small amount of black butyl sealant.

besides being less expensive and quicker to install, it's obvious they don't open far either.

rickL had 1 or 2 of his upgraded (by a dealer) to the classic style for better ventilation,

as u suggest the classics, internationals and s-se have riveted frame full opening windows like these...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/517358-post50.html

and the neat thing about that picture is inner and outer views are in each pic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiamma
The Vista View windows are double paned...
nope, only the old vistas were doubles.

the vistas used the last several years are single layers only...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/212497-post32.html

a/s did use double layer windows 20 years ago for the vistas and all the side opening windows...

which looked like these...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/550696-post1265.html

'sliders' of the better style have been used (see the last pix) but mostly on the moho side...

where an open window during travel is useful...

but they claim the current design is MORE thermally efficient...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Prom dress or Levi's pants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-JH
We'll probably be buying a new unit. I've seen quite a few comments on this forum about some models have the "cheap" windows. What are the features that makes it a quality window? Do they open out and all the way or what? Are any of them sliding (which I wouldn't care for).

Importantly, what new units offer the better windows? Is it all the Classic and all the Internationals? Do the Safari SEs have "quality" windows?
Hi, the way I see it, is either you have the pretty, high dollar, prom dress windows that are prone to leaking, breaking, and transferring heat into an already hot trailer or transferring cold into a cold trailer. Or, as you say, "cheap" like in Levi's pants windows that give you better insulation, partly because of their smaller size, much less prone to breakage, don't leak, more durable, and easier to replace as a complete unit.

Also the word "quality" [assume good] means nothing unless another word is placed in front of it like: good, poor, excellent, crappy, or marginal Etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Picture CD 112 (Large).jpg
Views:	231
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	60084   Click image for larger version

Name:	My Picture CD 113 (Large).jpg
Views:	162
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	60085  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:33 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
Thanks for the input! We're fair weather campers and would love those nice looking riveted windows that open all the way for a nice breeze and fresh air.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:43 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you want lots of open area for breezes, then the fully-opening windows are for you. If, on the other hand, you won't have many windows open, and use the heat/air conditioning more than an open window, the better insulated windows that don't allow as much air inside are the better choice. I like the fully-openable windows, but that is a personal choice.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:51 PM   #10
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS

blah blah blah
ROFLAO

Good luck AZ-JH, I'm sure its as clear as mud now.

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 05-08-2008, 05:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
The fully opening windows on my ’83 Excella are double paned. I like them a lot. Very easy to open and close.