Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2019, 12:22 PM   #1
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Northborough , Massachusetts
Locksmith for Bargman Repair?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vddlvqqpkp...n%202.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5brctnwrd4...n%203.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xkzexcat5g...n%201.jpg?dl=0

Our 1968 Tradewind has a Bargman lockset. It is very tough to get the key to turn and lock. What information do I need at hand before searching for a locksmith? I want to be able to secure the trailer and right now that is impossible.

Also, I do have a very handy husband, but he's making "this is impossible" sounds, which I tend to ignore and search out all options! LOL. Please help.

Thank you. I'm heading out to the yard in search of information....

New England Unit....in Fun, Fellowship and Adventure.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:12 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Paradise , Texas
I just had Bryan and sons locksmith in Denton tx cut me a few keys for my keyless h20. He has been around for many years and probably seen it all. I imagine that if you can take it out, he he can clean it up, cut new keys if needed and make it work like new again.

I have found on the l100 and l200 styles, most of the time, taking them apart, cleaning the aged grease and dirt out and lubing them with a nice thin layer of new grease, they work amazingly well.
Crackerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Lockset on '66 thru '68 Airstreams

I agree with Crackerman as to removing the entire lockset and thoroughly cleaning it internally and lubricating it! You should do this routinely in you maintenance list. Carefully remove it from the door and take photos so once you disassemble it you can check your work when putting it back together. I would bet if you do this you may not have to use a Locksmith. It will save you money and your Hubby can easily do this! Hope this helps, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:45 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

San Diego , California
I have the same lock. Cleaned with mineral spirits/denatured alcohol and lubricated with white lithium grease. Pics available on Instagram (@lady.clementine). They’re not great locks and I expect it will become a problem in the future, but for now it works. Replacing with a more modern option was going to be very expensive (InlandRv sells a kit) or very time consuming to engineer.

matt.
Matt0k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:33 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1975 31' Sovereign
Grovetown , Georgia
Get a can of "Houdini" 4-way lock lubricant. The locksmith I took mine to have a key cut used it and said a shot every couple of months will keep it smooth. Bought a can and use it on all my locks. No problems since using and I do not take them apart any more.

"Decaffinated coffee is the devil's blend."
GO Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:58 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Haute-Aboujagane , New Brunswick
We brought the lock to a locksmith. We now have a perfectly functioning Barman lock with keys.
chrisetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO Bob View Post
Get a can of "Houdini" 4-way lock lubricant. The locksmith I took mine to have a key cut used it and said a shot every couple of months will keep it smooth. Bought a can and use it on all my locks. No problems since using and I do not take them apart any more.
Thanks for the tip on Houdini. We just ordered a can. Our L-100 and L-54 both work well but have to spray them with dry lube continuously. Hopefully the Houdini will last longer.
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:55 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Versailles , Indiana
Pam - You can also try contacting Rick (Montanablue) here on the forums. We had questions about our 1966 lock and he was a wealth of information. (and I can sympathize with the sounds your husband makes, mine makes them ALL the time!)

Here is a portion of a previous thread ~
I have new and used Bargman L100 or L200 and the OEM Bargman Rebuild Kits for L100/200 locks. I can rebuild your lock with all of the spare parts I have. Keep in mind Airstreams require the longer throw, stem or latch. I have a new one for sale that is ready to stall. You can reach me at r_whiten@hotmail.com or send me a private message. I will be glad to help you.
Rick (Montanablue)
WBCCI #4447
AIR #70157
Rhino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:43 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
As the previous post says I will be glad t help anyone with their Bargman model locks even if you don't buy a lock from me. A lot of times it is something simple. I have lots of spare parts and OEM Bargman Rebuild kits for most of the models L100, L200, L300, L400, and L66. I have lock cylinders for most models as well.

If you are looking for a new lock or used locks I have just about every model.

Let me know if I can help.
Rick
montanablue is offline   Reply With Quote