Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2022, 04:36 PM   #1

1973 27' Overlander
Rockwood , Ontario
Locked out - with a key

So my ‘73 Overlander has decided to lock me out. It’s a KT lock.

I think it is forgone conclusion that something is broken in the lock.
See video https://youtu.be/cIArtV_5Npk.

So the question is, how do I get the door open, so I can remove the lock and repair it.

Everything is locked up, so trying to figure out best way to get in. Remove door hinges, drill out key cylinder, pry a window, find someone to crawl in a access hatch.

From those whom may have done this before, what is the best way?
Foomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 08:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Unscrewing the hinges is a bad idea, there is a nut that either wont come off all the way or will drop off into wall of trailer requiring cutting wall to replace nut and/or tighten it.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:35 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
Northport , Washington
I’ve had to use the access hatch for the same situation
Jada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 06:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Airstream310
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
Don't drill your lock they don't make them anymore. My Granddaughter went through one of my hatches and opened the window next to my door and removed the screen and the chrome knobs on the arms. I was able to get in and get the three screws out that holds it in place then slowly pryed the housing out on the back end and put a pair of pliers on the latch rod pulled it and unlocked the door. Good luck
cole3444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I assume that the video you reference is your lock, or at least someone's latch with the exact same symptoms. If so, the good news is that the part that is broken might be as simple as replacing a roll-pin (but when is life simple?). The other good news is that the way these locks work, is that when you turn the key, it drives a little shaft up into the strike, thus immobilizing it. It looks like your issue is with the latch mechanism, not with the locking mechanism, in other words, technically you can still unlock the strike and manually move it. Drilling out the lock cylinder is definitely not going to get the door open, because the lock mechanism is working, it is just the linkage between the latch and the strike that is broken.

Since the door closes from the outside in, the strike should be visible. Using a couple of small screwdrivers, and perhaps a putty knife, you might be able to reach into the door crack and press the strike back far enough to get the door open.

Beware that you could have two problems: The locking mechanism may have failed in the locked position, and then when you grabbed the latch handle and jerked it to open it against the locked strike, the linkage or roll pin failed in the latch mechanism. If you find that the strike cannot be manually moved even though you think the lock in in the unlocked position, then this is probably what happened.

Looking ahead, though, if a replacement KT latch can be found, they are super expensive. There used to be repair parts kits available, but I haven't seen those offered in a long time. If your latch is not working because of some KT specific part has failed, the latch may not be repairable without having some part created from scratch, or parts from a donor unit. There are several threads on here about options for replacing the KT altogether.

Below are a couple of pictures of the inner workings of the KT. One shows where the latch meets the strike, the other the back side of the lock cylinder, where it moves the little bolt into place.

good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KT lock.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	411111   Click image for larger version

Name:	KT Latch Link.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	411113  

Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:46 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Hartfield , Virginia
Locked Out

I agree with Jada. We got locked out from our Airstream when the deadbolt slid shut from travel vibration. We sent a young kid in through one of the hatches below a bed. He was in and had the door open in less than a minute
RJMarquar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:58 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
San Luis Obispo , California
locked out

We had a similar situation with our 1966 Overlander. The easiest way for us to get in was to remove the rivets on the large astrodome and I was able to drop down into the trailer that way. I am 6' and 195 lbs and it was no problem to get in. Our side hatches were under the fixed bed so that was out in our case. The astrodome was very easy to put back with just a few small rivets. Good luck!
slofoks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 11:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Take a butterknife and slide it between the gasket and frame on one of the windows. You should be able to use the knife to open the window latches. after going through this problem several times I put a locking hasp on the door.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:20 PM   #9

1988 32' Excella
Georgetown , Illinois
Liquid Wrench & A Hammer

This happened to me a couple weeks ago. The key wouldn’t even go in all the way and it definitely wouldn’t turn the lock. My brother sprayed some Liquid Wrench into the key hole and it still wouldn’t turn. He ended up tapping the key while in the lock with a hammer. It took a few taps but it now works like new!
karenwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 08:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Just happened to look at Vintagetrailersupply.com and discovered that they are now carrying quite an array of repair parts for the KT latches, so if you can get into the trailer without destroying the latch, it can be repaired.

https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com...page?q=KT+lock

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote

« Door Catch | Top | De-Icer »