Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2020, 07:36 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
San Luis Obispo , California
Bargman lock broken cant open door

I have a 1966 Overlander with the Bargmann lock. today I went out to the trailer which I always leave unlocked and the knob just turned both ways and would not open the door. It feels like the inner mechanism has broken. I am thinking I will need to remove the hinge pin from the door to get it open so I can fix the lock. I do not see any other way to gain access to the inside of the trailer. Is there an easy way to remove the long pin in the door hinge? Any suggestions? Thank you in advance for any advice.
slofoks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

I had the door lock on a 1966 Safari (with keys inside the trailer)

Lucky for me, the furnace had been removed. I took the remaining outside cover off the trailer, and climbed through the hole into the trailer. (this could work for you)

On the Overlander, you could go in the rear compartment below the bed.

You'll need a thin 8-9 year old kid, looking for an adventure.

Good Luck,
Old 11-07-2020, 07:52 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
I can repair your lock once you get in. Have you tried going through an access door using a kid? This is a common thing to do. I will send you a private message with my number. I have 20 years experiece working on Bargman locks.
Rick (Montanablue)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slofoks View Post
I have a 1966 Overlander with the Bargmann lock. today I went out to the trailer which I always leave unlocked and the knob just turned both ways and would not open the door. It feels like the inner mechanism has broken. I am thinking I will need to remove the hinge pin from the door to get it open so I can fix the lock. I do not see any other way to gain access to the inside of the trailer. Is there an easy way to remove the long pin in the door hinge? Any suggestions? Thank you in advance for any advice.
montanablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 09:48 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Broken door lock

I have modified the bed so that access door won't work. The original furnace is still there although it doesn't work so that might be an option to try and dismantle it from the outside as I wouldn't be worried about damaging anything. I'm afraid that even if I could get in, I still could not get the door open as the handle just turns all the way around in both directions and doesn't move the mechanism. I still think removing the hinge pin is our only way in. Is the pin difficult to remove? Thx!
Old 11-08-2020, 06:15 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
1990 34' Limited
Cape Coral , Florida
Strongly advise that you do not try to drive out the hinge pin. If you hurt the hinge there are no good options. There is a shoulder on the inside of the door handle and over time it rounds out and won't catch. Try pushing hard while turning. It may have one more open left in it. If that doesn't work I would break the back window, which is flat. Don't break the side windows as replacements are not currently available.
dieseleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 06:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Slofoks,

I also own a 1966 Overlander. If I were in your shoes, I personally would do the following to create the least amount of damage, cost of repair, but most important "access to parts" that will need replaced by breaking into the trailer.

DO NOT BREAK WINDOWS!!! (very hard to find replacements)
DO MESS WITH DOOR!! (Again, hard to find parts and fix correctly)

Go in through the large "Solardome" vent in the living room area. You will need to do the following:

1. Drill out the four rivets holding the cover to the lifters, then remove the cover.
2. Cut the screen allowing access to the four turn-tabs that hold the screen in place, remove the screen panel.
3. Remove the two lifters (one at each end) providing you less things to get caught on climbing into the trailer.
4. Drop down into the trailer

From there, there's a push-tab that holds inside door-knob in place, two screws hold the lock in the door. Remove and send to Mountainblue for repair.

The only thing that will need to be replaced/fix is "four rivets, a piece of screening". If you happen to break the "Solardome" cover, they can be purchased new. https://vintagetrailersupply.com/ast...later-vts-279/

Hope this helps, Do Not Break Anything!!!

Enjoy,
Old 11-08-2020, 07:03 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1979 31' Sovereign
1999 25' Safari
Youngsville , North Carolina
Do not try to remove the pin in the hinge, they are pressed in and one slip of the hammer will do a lot of damage. I would try to remove the entire hinge where it attaches to trailer. As long as screw / bolts are not stripped. A impact or hammer drill will allow you the best shot to get screw to release from nut, be sure to use a good lubrication before you attempt removal. Spray with PB Blaster for several days to allow it to work and penetrate. Best of luck.
heslinhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 09:09 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Break out your front window. Any glass shop will be able to make a replacement pane. DIY installation will take about an hour. Glass will cost around 50 bucks. I've not needed to break in to my 67 Overlander, but I did install a new front window and it was pretty easy. Decided then that the front window would be the best emergency entrance/exit.
mikextr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 09:14 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Broken door lock

Thank you all for your ideas and warnings. This is why this forum works well. Rideair had the best idea for my circumstance as the solar dome needs replacing anyway. Of course I forgot about that access hole. Safe travels!!
Old 11-08-2020, 06:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by heslinhotel View Post
Do not try to remove the pin in the hinge, they are pressed in and one slip of the hammer will do a lot of damage. I would try to remove the entire hinge where it attaches to trailer. As long as screw / bolts are not stripped. A impact or hammer drill will allow you the best shot to get screw to release from nut, be sure to use a good lubrication before you attempt removal. Spray with PB Blaster for several days to allow it to work and penetrate. Best of luck.
BAD IDEA!

The nuts are not captive, once loosened they just spin. If lucky enough to get the screws out, the next job is removing part of the inner skin to get them back in.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote