Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2007, 11:21 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , Massachusetts
Hi speed internet

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here. Just starting my research. I want to be a full-time Rver. I need to stay connected to the Internet wherever I am. Is it possible to get a sattelite connection where I get high-speed all the time wherever I am? Has anybody done this? I'm concered that a cell-phone type connection is going to be too slow and expensive, because I'm online all the time.

Thanks,

Myra
mwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:26 AM   #2
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwinter
Just starting my research. Is it possible? ...Myra
yes.
start here.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/search.php
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Just starting my research

Myra,
This is a popular subject and there has already been much discussion about Satellite/WiFi/Cell Phone options. Please search the Forums archives, especially;
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwinter
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here. Just starting my research. I want to be a full-time Rver. I need to stay connected to the Internet wherever I am. Is it possible to get a sattelite connection where I get high-speed all the time wherever I am? Has anybody done this? I'm concered that a cell-phone type connection is going to be too slow and expensive, because I'm online all the time.

Thanks,

Myra
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
Hi Myra,

Welcome to the forum. If you do a search for internet, you will be rewarded with lots of results.

In a nutshell internet on the road goes like this:

Most expensive: Dedicated satellite two way -- offered through Hughes as well as others. Expensive equipment, relatively high monthly fees and a relatively large antenna that needs to have a clear view of the southern sky.. Pretty good data speeds. Can be a pain to set up.

Middle of the road: data card for your laptop and service through one of the wireless carriers (Verizon, Sprint...). Relatively inexpensive hardware, unlimited access fees run less than a hundred bucks a month. In my experience about as fast as DSL, slower than cable modem. Main drawback is that you don't always have coverage (especially in the boonies) but this problem is slowly ameliorating as the cell providers continue to grow their networks. This is what I have and it has worked out fine for me -- on a 6 month road trip last year I had about 7 total days without ready access available.

Cheap is a wirless enabled laptop. There are lots of wireless sites out there and more going on line every day. Many campgrounds have wireless access (for a fee ranging from modest to ridiculous), many public libraries (mostly free), coffee shops/retailers (Panera Bread always has free access).

Again, welcome aboard,

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:38 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We use Alltel's cell phone data link. The speed is broadband, and it costs $25.00 per month for unlimited use. We looked into direct satalite link. It cost $60/mo and required set up. The cell phone thing works great and you can use it on the go.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:13 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s
Hi Myra,

Welcome to the forum. If you do a search for internet, you will be rewarded with lots of results.

In a nutshell internet on the road goes like this:

Most expensive: Dedicated satellite two way -- offered through Hughes as well as others. Expensive equipment, relatively high monthly fees and a relatively large antenna that needs to have a clear view of the southern sky.. Pretty good data speeds. Can be a pain to set up.

Middle of the road: data card for your laptop and service through one of the wireless carriers (Verizon, Sprint...). Relatively inexpensive hardware, unlimited access fees run less than a hundred bucks a month. In my experience about as fast as DSL, slower than cable modem. Main drawback is that you don't always have coverage (especially in the boonies) but this problem is slowly ameliorating as the cell providers continue to grow their networks. This is what I have and it has worked out fine for me -- on a 6 month road trip last year I had about 7 total days without ready access available.

Cheap is a wirless enabled laptop. There are lots of wireless sites out there and more going on line every day. Many campgrounds have wireless access (for a fee ranging from modest to ridiculous), many public libraries (mostly free), coffee shops/retailers (Panera Bread always has free access).

Again, welcome aboard,

Mike
Cool. That's all the info I need on Internet connections for now.

Thanks,

M.W.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:14 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Most of the EVDO/1XRTT "air cards" now have roaming available on them. For example, Alltel cards will roam onto Sprint's and Verizon's systems. So check all 3 carriers and see if their combined coverage will suit your needs.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
Most of the EVDO/1XRTT "air cards" now have roaming available on them. For example, Alltel cards will roam onto Sprint's and Verizon's systems. So check all 3 carriers and see if their combined coverage will suit your needs.
Thanks, Pick! I'll check into that. I've been testing out a Verizon EV-DO card over the past few days for law enforcement applications, and found it automatically (and very frequently) drops back to 1xRTT when Verizon broadband isn't available. Apparently, Verizon is such a major player in Delaware that the state has an exclusive "agreement" with them. Of course, in the interest of public and officer safety, I've been known to play one service against the other and deviate from contracts to accomplish a goal. Anyway, I'm retiring in 3 months.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:49 PM   #9
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Myra,
I would not bother with sattelite. I use a EVDO card from verizon. They are my cell provider. Most of the major had thier own wireless card and plans. I also have a D-link mobile router. It converts the EVDO wireless to Wi-Fi wireless. They take a little work to set up but are fine once done. Works anywhere I can get Cell service.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:55 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Myra,
I would not bother with sattelite. I use a EVDO card from verizon. They are my cell provider. Most of the major had thier own wireless card and plans. I also have a D-link mobile router. It converts the EVDO wireless to Wi-Fi wireless. They take a little work to set up but are fine once done. Works anywhere I can get Cell service.
Michelle,
Thanks. More important, right now I need to consider a trailer first.
Myra
Old 04-23-2007, 07:45 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I have a Sprint card, and it roams over to Alltel. Works almost as good as my DSL at home.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
I went to a Verizon store recently to have a phone repaired. While there, I asked whether any of their cell phones would also work as an EVDO modem for a laptop. They had a few that they said would work. The advantage of this is the EVDO service can be activated/deactivated on a month by month basis. The monthly price is the same as the dedicated card but you don't have to commit for 2 yrs to the service.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote