Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2017, 09:29 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
A Fluke Batwing Antenna ??

I keep reading about how terrible the new disc type antennas are and how most folks end up replacing them. I have seen people have much better luck after the swap out with either the rayzar automatic or jack.

I also keep reading about how horrible the batwing antenna is. Maybe mine is a fluke but last weekend when I did the tv scan at the campground, I only got 41 channels. No, I did not rotate it to find those channels. Closest tv station was 50 plus miles away.

It's not the latest thing on the market but it consistently works fine. Think I'll keep it.......
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:32 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
Is it practical to replace the entire antenna assembly with the King Jack that doesn't raise/lower? That was my plan until I saw this thread. FWIW--I'm dealing with a new-to-me AS that needs new sealant everywhere and has been a little abused over the years.
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:07 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMc View Post
Is it practical to replace the entire antenna assembly with the King Jack that doesn't raise/lower? That was my plan until I saw this thread. FWIW--I'm dealing with a new-to-me AS that needs new sealant everywhere and has been a little abused over the years.

It's very practical, and one of my favorite uogrades. I no longer stop 5 miles after breaking camp to make sure I remembered to lower my antenna. The profile of the antenna doesn't bother me at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1483722273120.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	277729   Click image for larger version

Name:	1483722366441.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	277730  

1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:13 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
It would be interesting for a side by side comparison at a CG, the the batwing with the added "wingman" UHF elements works very well among the units I have used in the past.
<< snip>>
This is a side by side comparison. Before and after is the same antenna with and without a Wingman. It is parked in the exact same location, have not moved since October.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
<< snip>>
Today I am in my Excella near Sebring Florida. My Excella has the original bat wing antenna. I added the Wingman in December. The location I am at is almost level (within 100') of Miami, Orlando, Tampa, Ft Myers, and Palm Beach. Before the Wingman it would only pickup Tampa and sometimes Orlando stations, both 75 miles away, but the picture was interment from Orlando. Since I added the Wingman I pickup clear pictures from all of the locations mentioned above. However, the picture from Orlando is not the quality of the others. There is a range of hills, the Lake Wales Ridge which is about 200' higher in elevation, that is in a direct line between the transmitter and receiver. Miami is about 140 miles away at 6' above seal level. I am parked at ~80' above sea level. The picture quality from Miami & Palm Beach is better than Orlando.
The only gripe I have with the bat wing and the wingman is that it is directional. It's a PITA when I'm in bed watching and have to get up to rotate the antenna when I change channels. I would much rather have an antenna that receives signals from all directions.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:20 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
This is a side by side comparison. Before and after is the same antenna with and without a Wingman. It is parked in the exact same location, have not moved since October.
I think you misunderstood. I was interested in a comparison between the batwing w/wingman against the King Jack. I am fully aware of the improvement of the batwing when adding the wingman. I added mine when they first came out. It's been 6 years, so my recollection of the exact numbers is fuzzy, but I went from 20 something channels to over 40 with the AS sitting in my driveway in a metro area. Of course, many channels are in Spanish, but the increase of signals was impressive.

Edit: Wait, actually, it has been way more than 6 years. I took the wingman off my SOB before trading for the AS...so I have had it for a LOOOOng time. Comparison was done on the AS though, before and after installing the used Wingman on the AS.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:31 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I think you misunderstood. << snip>>
Yes I did. Sorry!
Old 01-06-2017, 01:59 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Alan, I too would like the omni-directional capability....but that's where I want a head to head comparison. I have read of so many complaints of the omni's, that I am unwilling to risk trying one.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 01-06-2017, 03:13 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Hillsboro , Texas
TV antennas for Airstream

When Winegard brought out the Wingman add on for the batwing antenna, it was in anticipation of the switch to digital broadcasting and that all TV channels would be on UHF. The big, flat, rectangular aluminum loop on the batwing antenna is the active element if the antenna anc is made for the VHF band. Addition of the Wingman adds a small bit of gain to the antenna's UHF sensitivity but in the end, not nearly as good as an antenna designed to receive UHF frequencies. Now Winegard has the Rayzar antenna for today's digital TV and it works well according to users. I'm very happy with my King Jack and have never minded rotating the antenna. It can be a pain however when 2 stations are at right angles from my location.
WBCCI #4432 & ARC member W9CJX
jwgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:17 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
TV reception - finally!

Are the winegard rayzar and King considered comparable then? With next best being the batwing with sensar wingman?
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:07 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Quote:
The only gripe I have with the bat wing and the wingman is that it is directional. It's a PITA when I'm in bed watching and have to get up to rotate the antenna when I change channels. I would much rather have an antenna that receives signals from all directions.
No free lunch. Omni directional antennas are less sensitive than directional antennas. Can't change the laws of physics.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:34 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by greghoro View Post
No free lunch. Omni directional antennas are less sensitive than directional antennas. Can't change the laws of physics.

Greg
Exactly. And why I won't change out unless I have to. But, there are smaller profile directional ones. Would love to compare them with the wingman setup.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:08 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
I picked up a King replacement for my crank up unit. Was going to install it but after reading the instructions, I realised that I needed to increase the size of the hole in the roof! Didn't sign on for that so back it went. Will pick up a King replaement head for the Wingman when I get home and try that with the existing Jack. Looks simple and pretty cheap. No need to try it here as no TV in Baja
Thanks for the info
Pete
S/OS#88
white laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:16 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by white laker View Post
I picked up a King replacement for my crank up unit. Was going to install it but after reading the instructions, I realised that I needed to increase the size of the hole in the roof! Didn't sign on for that so back it went. Will pick up a King replaement head for the Wingman when I get home and try that with the existing Jack. Looks simple and pretty cheap. No need to try it here as no TV in Baja
Thanks for the info
Pete

I didn't have to enlarge the hole size to mount my king jack. Think I remember reading that too, but it was not required in my set up.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:26 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The usual saw about omnidirectional antennas is that they work equally badly in all directions....

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:41 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Hillsboro , Texas
King Jack head replacement

I kept the crank raise/lower part of the original antenna. Raise the old antenna and rotate it 90 degrees CCW. Now crank it down to the stowed position. The antenna will now be about right over the door. This works for an AS with a door toward the front and not the rear. Now it's easy to remove the coax and 2 pins with "E" clips and lift off the batwing antenna. Put the Jack antenna on top of the bracket, replace the pins and install the clips, reconnect the coax and you're done. Check your work and push the red/green button on the TV wall plate and check the red LED on the bottom of the Jack head unit. If it's on, you did it right. Now crank up the lift mechanism, rotate it back to the stow position and crank it down. Enjoy better TV reception. Even the little height of the lift may be enough to help with weak signals.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:51 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
JW
I thought I was a genius when I rotated the antenna and attached the new head as you described...BUT when I tried to stow it the head wouldn't nest in the little cradle still attached to the roof and the up/down arm wouldn't fall into the little "spikes" on the base plate....did I put it on backwards??
Sorry no picture (didn't want to document my ineptitude)

Montgomery, Alabama

follow the Two Bikes and an Airstream blog at https://airgo.blogspot.com
twobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:32 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Hillsboro , Texas
Jack antenna mount

Al/Pat,
You may have it 180 degrees off but not sure. I had a similar clearance issue with the antenna cradle and it's a close fit anyway. You could try turning it around to see if it stows properly. I'm guessing that AS doesn't always put the cradle in exactly same location on the roof because the Winegard antenna head has a smaller footprint . If you do change it, please comment back on this thread.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:14 AM   #38
1 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic S/O
durango , Colorado
Where is the wall jack to replace for the King Jack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwgreen View Post
The Winegard batwing antenna was designed for VHF frequencies when TV was analog. Now that it's digital, all over-the-air television broadcasts are on UHF frequencies, like channel 14-83 on the old analog system. Antenna size and design is based on being efficient at collecting enough signal for a good picture. The King Jack antenna is smaller because it is designed for UHF signals only. The wall TV outlet in the AS (green or red light) used with the Winegard is retained for the King Jack. It feeds the DC voltage over the coax to the antenna to power the amplifier in the "head" unit or external part. There is a red LED on the bottom of my Jack that shows the presence of DC power. It's worked great for 5 years. It is directional, just like the Winegard, so rotate it to get a picture you can watch. Weak signals will result in "pixelation" or blank spots in the picture. In virtually all cases, the King Jack antenna will outperform a Winegard batwing antenna.
I am replacing my old original antenna (2007-Classic-31") with a new HD King Jack antenna. Where is the wall jack that I need to remove (is there low voltage power there) so I can replace with the new low voltage powered wall jack that is required for the King Jack antenna?
jimmymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:13 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Hillsboro , Texas
Are you sure you need to replace the wall jack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymac View Post
I am replacing my old original antenna (2007-Classic-31") with a new HD King Jack antenna. Where is the wall jack that I need to remove (is there low voltage power there) so I can replace with the new low voltage powered wall jack that is required for the King Jack antenna?
If your 2007 AS was built with a wall jack for TV, it has a push on/push off button to turn on the 12 VDC to the amplifier in the original antenna, most likely the Winegard "batwing" antenna. This feed is totally compatible with the King Jack antenna amplifier, at least it was on my 2007 AS. The wall jack also has a type F standard TV cable outlet and a automotive type 12 VDC receptacle built in to the face plate. It would be very unusual if you don't have one in your trailer. Both antennas require the same voltage feed over the coax cable to operate properly. If your wall outlet DOES NOT have the push on/push off switch with a green LED indicating it's on, then you will need to install a different wall jack and provide the 12 VDC feed into the jack.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:04 PM   #40
1 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic S/O
durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwgreen View Post
If your 2007 AS was built with a wall jack for TV, it has a push on/push off button to turn on the 12 VDC to the amplifier in the original antenna, most likely the Winegard "batwing" antenna. This feed is totally compatible with the King Jack antenna amplifier, at least it was on my 2007 AS. The wall jack also has a type F standard TV cable outlet and a automotive type 12 VDC receptacle built in to the face plate. It would be very unusual if you don't have one in your trailer. Both antennas require the same voltage feed over the coax cable to operate properly. If your wall outlet DOES NOT have the push on/push off switch with a green LED indicating it's on, then you will need to install a different wall jack and provide the 12 VDC feed into the jack.
Is this wall jack located by the existing TV? Thanks. Jim
jimmymac is offline   Reply With Quote