Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-15-2018, 10:44 AM   #1
Mike & Erin

2017 28' Flying Cloud
Bel Air , Maryland
Bad reception on bedroom TV

We have a 2017 28' FC rear twin. Although we get great reception on the lounge Samsung TV, we cannot hold one channel on the bedroom Samsung TV!!

Had it looked at twice during other warranty calls first, tightened splitter, second time replaced the splitter but couldn't really test it in Lakewood, NJ at the dealer.

We have only been to one campground with cable. Tried that since a number of folks say that the rear TV might have a cheaper tuner inside it... Still not worth a flip!

So, are only option is switching the TV's to isolate it to the internal cable wiring. We had that situation in our new house years ago... The construction guys pierced the center copper wire going to the guest bedroom with a long staple for siding! Had to fish through another coax!

Any old hands at this have a recommendation? Hate to schedule a trip to Jackson Center for the few things I have problems with. I'm still under warranty until July 2019.
SetterX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:03 AM   #2
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by SetterX View Post
We have a 2017 28' FC rear twin. Although we get great reception on the lounge Samsung TV, we cannot hold one channel on the bedroom Samsung TV!!

Had it looked at twice during other warranty calls first, tightened splitter, second time replaced the splitter but couldn't really test it in Lakewood, NJ at the dealer.

We have only been to one campground with cable. Tried that since a number of folks say that the rear TV might have a cheaper tuner inside it... Still not worth a flip!

So, are only option is switching the TV's to isolate it to the internal cable wiring. We had that situation in our new house years ago... The construction guys pierced the center copper wire going to the guest bedroom with a long staple for siding! Had to fish through another coax!

Any old hands at this have a recommendation? Hate to schedule a trip to Jackson Center for the few things I have problems with. I'm still under warranty until July 2019.
I think an isolation strategy as you suggest is worth trying. An alternative to swapping the TV's though would be to run the dining area coax to the bedroom TV using an extension cable. If the bedroom TV performs correctly you know it's the bedroom coax. If not, the TV set.

FWIW both sets on my 2018 25FB are identical.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
I have many years experience with cable tv. Take a close look at the fittings on the cable ends both at the bedroom tv and where it comes from the splitter. If either of these fitting are not done correctly this could cause your problem

Also what KPM says get a long cable and try bypassing the internal cable to see if the cable is indeed bad.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 01:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I find that if I'm using the "cable" input from the outside connection, I must turn off the "antenna booster switch" behind the front TV.
I agree with trying a coax between the front TV and the rear TV's input. That will narrow down your problem.
Also, unscrew the "F" connector from the TV and be sure the center pin is not bent and not making contact.
If you're using the roof "over the air antenna", then you need to do a channel search before anything works.
Both my TV's are Samsungs, and seem to work identically.

BTW, after dealing with video for years, I really hate the lousy "F" connectors used in consumer video. Extra bad are the "crimp on" connectors instead of the moulded connectors.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 02:30 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
As a quick test you should patch a known-good piece of coax between the wall and the TV. I found that the odd little skinny coax patch cable isn't very durable (in my 26U, it was the cable on the main TV). It appeared to be intact on visual inspection but the wall end turned out to be broken... a more-normal flexible short coax cable with 90-degree connectors resolved my issue, and I get better reception on that TV than I had when I first bought the trailer (as opposed to the almost-none I had after the connector started disintegrating). I only needed the 90-degree connectors to allow the TV bracket to click back into the "locked" position for travel without having to remove the coax.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 03:32 PM   #6
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
+1 on using right angle connectors. I kept the preexisting cable and bought this adapter.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:27 AM   #7
The Silver TARDIS

2018 30' Classic
Hillsboro , TX
I just replaced the RG59 cable (thin, braided) with an RG6 (typical coax, thicker, solid) cable and I went from getting 3 stations to 35 stations in the bedroom. Reason: the old cable did not make a solid connection.
BlueOx SwayPro 1506
Kevinshortnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:52 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 24
Houston , Texas
I own a company that does home theater and home electronics installations. And, I am also a technician.
everyone's comments have been spot-on, but there are few details that need to be explained.
1) when hooking up an extension from the cable wire on the lounge TV, you will need a Few connector barrel or splice, to connect a two cables together. All of the coax cables all have male fittings. The barrel is to female fittings that allow the two coax cables to screw together.
2) It's very rare that the wire itself is bad but it can happen. Usually it's the connectors themselves on the back side of the wall plates that have the problem. You could get a satellite guy to look at those things instead of taking it in for warranty service. It takes special tools to do those connectors correctly. The special tools are only about $50 to $75 if you wanted to invest in them. One is a coax stripper specifically for RG6 cable, and the other is the compression tool that works with the specific brands of F connector. You would need to order the compression tool and F connectors from the same place. All that being said, is why I recommend a satellite guy or cable guy to help you. I can give you more ideas on how to find someone in your area...
3) when scanning for channels on a Samsung TV, Samsung offers two choices... Cable or Air. And those choices are only available when you're on the TV input. If you're on HDMI or some other type of input you can't choose between cable or air.
PM me if I can help off line...
John Polk
Houston Texas
johndpolk37 is offline   Reply With Quote