Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #1

2008 27' Classic FB
Coronado , California
27' FBR Classic Bedroom TV mount & VuQube

I am looking to mount a 19" LED TV on the bedroom wall with the shower stall behind it (where the A/V connections are. I would like to to use a swing arm mount the one I have has the two screws to mount it.
- Is the Hickory thick enough to hold it?
- It there a backer strip already in the wall that I can screw it into?
- Is there a way to access the wall to install a backer strip or plate?
ANY SUGGESTIONS OR HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED!

I have a VuQube antenea for using with my DirecTv receiver.
- Any experience with connecting the coax to the external coax connection?
- How do I connect the DirecTv receiver with the factory A/V DVD & CD Player in the cabinet over the table?
THANK YOU AGAIN FOR ANY HELP!
dwoods81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoods81 View Post
I am looking to mount a 19" LED TV on the bedroom wall with the shower stall behind it (where the A/V connections are. I would like to to use a swing arm mount the one I have has the two screws to mount it.
- Is the Hickory thick enough to hold it?
- It there a backer strip already in the wall that I can screw it into?
- Is there a way to access the wall to install a backer strip or plate?
ANY SUGGESTIONS OR HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Welcome to the forum. Let's bump this back up to see if there's an answer. You may want to call Jackson Center for advice on mounting a swing arm to the wall panel. I don't have a TV in our bedroom but know it can be ordered or added. The TV in the lounge area is attached to the panel beside the fridge with an aluminum plate that is secured with 6 anchors. It is important to distribute the stress of the mount across a wide area. I'm not aware of any particular backing material behind the panel. Access is probably not an easy task. It is also very important to secure the TV during travel. Mine has a pair of Velcro straps attached to anchors on the wall. If the TV can move while going down the road, it will cause a lot of damage.

Quote:
I have a VuQube antenea for using with my DirecTv receiver.
- Any experience with connecting the coax to the external coax connection?
- How do I connect the DirecTv receiver with the factory A/V DVD & CD Player in the cabinet over the table?
THANK YOU AGAIN FOR ANY HELP!
I have a Winegard Carryout antenna and DISH receiver. The connection should be the same as yours.

Antenna connects to the trailer's external coax connector. The antenna booster switch must be set to Off.

There is a faceplate with 2 coax connectors on the wall below the dinette. There is a short coax jumper connecting them. You will remove the jumper and need to figure out which of the connectors goes to the antenna and which goes to the TV if they are not labeled. Place your receiver on the table and using 2 coax cables, connect to the Sat In and TV Out on your receiver. Set both the receiver and the TV to channel 3 or 4. Perform any needed setup on the receiver to recognize the VuQube and you should be in business.

I pondered on a way to connect the receiver to the A/V DVD/CD player in the locker above the pano windows and decided there wasn't a good way to do it. I found a vinyl coated wire basket in the housewares dept that was a good size for the receiver and securely mounted the basket on the bottom of the table so that it didn't interfere with using the table as a bunk if needed. The IR beam from the remote bounces around enough so operating the receiver under the table isn't an issue. The receiver is secured in the basket with a bungee strap. I then ran a long HDMI cable from the back of the receiver along behind the cushions to an available HDMI port on the TV. For me, this needed another opening in the mounting plate on the back of the TV but it provided an HD connection from the receiver to the TV.

Note: In this configuration, I use only the Sat In connection. If we ever camp where I want to connect to the park's cable system, I just have to plug in that short jumper cable bypassing the receiver.

Going back and forth between antenna, satellite, cable and DVD requires one to remember the position of the antenna booster switch, presence or absence of the jumper, input mode selection on the TV and TV menu settings. The one that trips me up from time to time is the cable/antenna setting in my TV's setup menu.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Welcome to the Forums!

I attached a 19" class LCD+DVD TV on the bulkhead in our 09' 27 FB, in the spot you mention.

We used a swing arm mount we found at Camping World and I attached it to the wall with two #10x 1" sheet metal screws, in holes I pre-drilled to 1/8". I did not add any holes in the shower wall, which was great.

The intent of the small screws was that if they did strip and pull out, at least the holes would be small.....

However, it now has over 20K miles of travel with no problems.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Dwoods,
Do you have a pocket door in that shower wall, like the 30'er?
If so, here is what I did to mount a tilt only, Rocketfish bracket and 22" flat screen.

1) Remove the pocket door from it's overhead track. The little plastic clips swing out and allow the door studs to slip out of the track runners.

2) the BR half of the wall is held in place at the top with a few screws under white plastic caps. Remove these. The wall will flex out enough to get your arms in behind and between the pocket door walls.

3) I back plated the wall with a piece of 1/8" aluminum stock and used carriage bolts inserted with their heads on the back of the wall and nuts on the Rocketfish side.

4) I finished up with some of those carpet-like adhesive furniture foot pads stuck on the aluminum next to the bolt heads in order to provide a scratchless surface for the door when in its open position. They come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.

5)Rescrew the wall in place, mount the TV and enjoy.

The TV has ridden there for 2 years now with no distortion of the wall at all.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #5

2008 27' Classic FB
Coronado , California
Thank you all for the responses! I returned the swing arm mount and bought a fixed mount that allows easy on/off installation of the TV. The 19" Samsung only weighs 6.4 lbs so installing the plate shouldn't be a problem. I will be careful not to use screws that are too long. No pocket door between the shower stall and bedroom wall.

Silver Goose thanks for Info on the DirecTv receiver install. I will probably follow your lead on mounting it under the table. Sounds like a good mod with minimal alteration.

I am excited to get it done and try it out. Thank you all again!
Old 12-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoods81 View Post
Thank you all for the responses! I returned the swing arm mount and bought a fixed mount that allows easy on/off installation of the TV. The 19" Samsung only weighs 6.4 lbs so installing the plate shouldn't be a problem. I will be careful not to use screws that are too long. No pocket door between the shower stall and bedroom wall.

Silver Goose thanks for Info on the DirecTv receiver install. I will probably follow your lead on mounting it under the table. Sounds like a good mod with minimal alteration.

I am excited to get it done and try it out. Thank you all again!
The Rockefish mount (at BestBuy) was cheap and allows for easy on and off of the TV. I used to take it down for travel as I thought there would be too much bounce. The more I traveled and realized how smooth the ride is (by other object's riding behavior), I started leaving it on. No problems......but I did backplate it.

This is it:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketfi...fish&cp=1&lp=5

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
I just purchased a 2007 Safari 27FB. I too am looking to install a TV in the bedroom. I spoke to Toscano Airstream in CA and they have Airstream arms that swivel. The good news is it has a solid locking mechanism to hold it while traveling unlike the living area mount that has the straps. A bit pricey for the mount at $190.00 but it gives me piece of mind to have an AS dealer install it should something happen.

Ronman
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Our 2010 27FB came with a 19" LCD factory-mounted on a Moview WDSL mount, which swings in two directions.

When I mounted another 19" in the bedroom, against the shower bulkhead, I selected the Moview WSSL single arm, because there's little need for the added flexiblity of the double arm. They come hinged on either left or the right; I specified the model that swings out and to the left. I recommend that if you order this, call them to make sure they send the right one.

Using several #10 screws into the bulkhead has been sufficient to hold it, same as the factory did for the living area mount. It's been solid.

Steve

WSSL: Moview: WSSL Single Swing Arm Mount w/ Lock

WDSL: Moview: WDSL Double Swing Arm w/ Lock
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
One Question...is the bulkhead wall behind the shower hollow or solid? Reason fo my question is the cable and AC power is located on the aluminum wall near the floor leval. I would like to move it up to the TV height. Any comments?

Thanks!

Ron
Old 01-14-2013, 11:18 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronman View Post
One Question...is the bulkhead wall behind the shower hollow or solid? Reason fo my question is the cable and AC power is located on the aluminum wall near the floor leval. I would like to move it up to the TV height. Any comments?

Thanks!

Ron
There seems to be a little room between the bulkhead and the shower unit, but its hard to tell how much. I ended up wrapping the cables in spiral cable wrap outside the wall, however by removing the round heater vent at the base of the bulkhead it might be possible to either use an inspection mirror or push a fish-tape up the inside of the wall to determine clearance. It's on my list of things to do, it would result in a cleaner installation. Good luck!
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #11

2008 27' Classic FB
Coronado , California
Ron,
I took the advice I received to pull the air vent at the base of the wall to check the thickness of the hickory in my Classic. I also found there is about 3/4" gap between the wall and the shower stall. As far as the wires from my installation in the bedroom I found I was able to snake the excess wires (power and coax) between the exterior wall and wall where the tv is mounted. So the wires go over to the wall parallel to the plate the come back over to the tv at the tv height. Pretty clean and you don't have to drill the wall. Hope the helps.

OBTW we hooked up our VuQube satellite dish with our DirecTv receiver as suggested by Silver Goose and had reception as if we were in our living room in about 10 min. Didn't miss a beat on Wildcard weekend!
Old 01-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Steverino & DWoods,

Truly apprecite the feedback! This really helps to solidify what I was hoping for! I NEVER am amazed by the folks on AS Forums!

Thanks again,

Ron