Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2021, 12:04 PM   #21
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
LOL Jack, and I thought I was the only one.

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 11-04-2021, 03:52 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
If you have a modern multi-stage charger and use it like you're saying (turned on for a few hours and then off) it's likely not working to at its optimum performance.

Why? When first plugged in/turned on a multi-stage charger will often begin operation at a higher voltage level. Then it takes a few hours for it to cycle to the lower voltage levels recommended for storage. Since your batteries are likely fully charged they don't need the higher charging voltage, but it takes time for the charger to cycle down to the lower voltage.

By having your charger only turned on for 3 hours per day, you might be defeating the multi-stage features of it and essentially using it as a single stage charger.

My point? There is really no need to try and help a modern multi-stage charger do its job. Just plug it in and let it do its thing.
Richard,
Thank you for your input on this. Although My batteries are still functioning very well, I now plan to get rid of the timer and just leave it plugged in. I'll be interested to see the draw difference per week/month.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 05:07 AM   #23
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrady62 View Post
Richard,
Thank you for your input on this. Although My batteries are still functioning very well, I now plan to get rid of the timer and just leave it plugged in. I'll be interested to see the draw difference per week/month.
The draw...I've got a Progressive Dynamics 45-amp charger in our trailer. The trailer is plugged in via a EMS which shows incoming AC current. Most of the time when I look at it, the screen reads "O amps" meaning that the charger is pulling less than one amp from the outlet. I'd be surprised if yours pulled any more than a fraction of an amp once the batteries are up to a full charge.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 10:27 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
I turn off the bedroom breaker and that turns off the boondocker converter. I leave my unit plugged in 24/7. You can still use the other outlets outside the bedroom. I just let the solar panel take care of the lifeline batteries.
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 10:27 AM   #25
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
I have glass mat batteries and don't like using the built in Airstream charger while storing the trailer. I normally take the batteries to my basement and connect a trickle-charger (TC). It is a pain in the butt to move the batteries into the basement, so I am looking into connecting the TC inside the converter box and leaving the batteries in place.

I thought I would turn the battery switch off then connect the TC+ to the switch terminal connected to the battery, and connect the TC- to the ground bar inside the converter box.

The only problem is, I would need to run an extension cord inside the Airstream to connect the TC. I have no opening to do that. If I connect shore power so I can plug the TC into a wall outlet, then I assume the old Airstream charger will come on, and I don't want that.

Does anyone have an easy solution? Will unplugging the converter shut off the Airstream's charger?

Is your trailer outside and getting exposure to the sun? For several years, I've connected a 2 watt Coleman charger. I just hang the panel on my propane tanks. Being output is low, no controller is needed. In my case, the panel is exposed to sun thru the afternoon (trailer nose points west). It has kept my battery fully charged without issue. I do fully disconnect the battery from the trailer (remove both neg and positive cables for winter, I know this is over-kill but it makes me feel good). There is a quick disconnect on the wiring for the panel, so I leave one side permanently connected to the battery and just hang and connect the panel when in summer storage and kill power to the trailer with my battery disconnect which does disconnect everything.
With cold temps in Michigan, it doesn't take much to combat natural self discharge.

Instructions on the panel packaging say that it shouldn't be placed outside. I traced down the actual manufacturer who states it is OK to be outside. 3 years of use outside and it is functioning as new.

https://www.menards.com/main/electri...4622658&ipos=2
Old 11-07-2021, 06:27 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Charger

I leave the batteries in the box hooked up to a smart maintainer. It is hooked on the positive battery terminal # 1 battery and on the negative post for battery #2.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 06:54 PM   #27
Riveted...?

2004 25' Safari
Central Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim J View Post
I drilled a hole in the battery box and installed a 2 pin SAE connector and wired it to the positive and negative terminals of the batteries. When I am home I use a 15 W solar panel and charge controller plugged into this port to keep the batteries charged. When I am boondocking, I plug in a suitcase solar panel to the same port.

The port is covered when not in use.

You can also plug in a tickle charger if you have an SAE connector on it.
I did something similar...

My battery box had three holes in it facing the front of the coach. I wired one end of a 2' SAE connector to the positive side of battery one and the other end to the negative side of battery two, then snaked the SAE connector through the center hole in the battery box after fitting a two sided grommet in the center hole to prevent damage to the wires from vibration. The remaining part of the SAE connector then rests in the channel between the battery box and frame when rolling down the road.

When in the shop for storage, the remaining part of the SAE connector is routed to the SS and I plug in a Battery Tender. When boondocking, I can route the remaining part of the SAE connector to the SS or to the CS and follow the sun with the solar suitcase...

2013 Ram, 2500, Crew Cab, Cummins, 4x4, SRW, Short Box
2004 25', Safari LS w/ 3" Dexter Lift Kit on Henschen Axles,
Blue Ox
Justinhb is offline   Reply With Quote