Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2021, 07:50 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
Hey Blimp,

This is the third time I've tried to reply with quotes. Maybe the third time is a charm. BTW, I have installed the system on a 2020 FC 30FB Bunk.

How exactly did you get the 6/3 SOOW wire fished through the belly from the bed to the dinette? Did you have to drill holes through the frame at all or is there space down there?

I drilled two holes through the floor under the dinette seating. I put the SPS where the subwoofer was. (BTW, the 6/4 is used to go from the shore power input to the SPS and then to the main A/C panel. It's easy to spot the incoming shore power wires in the main A/C panel. You'll disconnect those and connect them to the appropriate place in the SPS. You'll then use a different 6/4 to get back to the main A/C panel.

I then cut a hole in the belly pan beneath the dinette seating to help feed the 6/3 cable toward the front to the Multiplus. I used a 7/8 round saw to drill two holes in the forward part of the exposed crossbeam that is beneath the forward stabilizer jack. You'll see a hole already drilled for the battery cables to run to the mail panel. I also removed the stabilizer jack and some nearby rivets so I could see inside the belly pan when running the fish tape.

I do have 4 100 watt panels in series parallel. I haven't done any boon docking so I'm can't say if 4 panels are enough. Been real busy with other stuff.

My panels are temporarily mounted on a portable display board with a base. I keep them in the left lower closet in the BR. I plan to run the wire through the wall and above the window and eventually into the back of the entertainment cabinet where i plan to move the sound system to make room for the GCCX. I'll get to that when I have more time.

LEt me know if you have additional questions.

Tony
T Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 06:50 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Will the factory roof box handle 4 panels?
Drtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:27 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Tony,

Thank so much for the reply. That helps a lot and makes sense. I have to get under my dinette to see where the subwoofer is and where to put holes to get into the breaker panel. I'll be using a manual switch since SPS is backordered until mid-year. I may just use individual 6ga wires from my 6/3 bundle to wire that up for now.

Do you happen to know what size rivets and drill bit are used for the belly rivets?

Thanks again for the time and replies,
-Blimp
blimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:33 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drtrash View Post
Will the factory roof box handle 4 panels?
The factory roof box for solar only has the capacity for 3 panels. If you are using 4 panels, either set them in pairs for series/parallel connection or run a new, 6AWG cable thu your fridge vent (like we do almost every time) for the new solar cable.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:54 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
The factory roof box for solar only has the capacity for 3 panels. If you are using 4 panels, either set them in pairs for series/parallel connection or run a new, 6AWG cable thu your fridge vent (like we do almost every time) for the new solar cable.
According to the service advisor at my selling dealer, my trailer comes from the factory with 6ga solar wiring. Is this true for all trailers, or just my 2021 Classic? Or is he just plain wrong? I don't have the trailer yet, so I cannot check.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:35 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybauman View Post
According to the service advisor at my selling dealer, my trailer comes from the factory with 6ga solar wiring. Is this true for all trailers, or just my 2021 Classic? Or is he just plain wrong? I don't have the trailer yet, so I cannot check.
I have never seen 6AWG cable on an Airstream. Newer models do come with upgraded 8AWG cable, which is OK for a couple of panels, but since our smallest system is 4 panels, we always upgrade this to 6AWG, going to larger 4AWG once we hit 600 watts and 2AWG for 900 watts+.
Old 01-13-2021, 07:01 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
So if going with 4 panels, a new combiner box (am solar) is needed. Why 3 ports, is that odd or limitation of wire? What is prefered connection, series or , parallel?
Drtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:07 AM   #28
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drtrash View Post
So if going with 4 panels, a new combiner box (am solar) is needed. Why 3 ports, is that odd or limitation of wire? What is prefered connection, series or , parallel?
On any Airstream, I always go with parallel connnections. Makes for better guarantee of your power source with minimal disconnects due to shading. Hope this helps!
Old 01-22-2021, 05:30 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
Install complete!

Attachment 387360Hey guys, after many hours trying to fish wire through the walls and into my entertainment system cabinet, I finally gave up on that idea.

Instead, I installed the CCGX and the BMW-712 adjacent the entry door. See photo.

Thanks for all of your help and insight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EF4E8729-EB0B-45C9-8A90-5CC8878FB8D4.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	387362  
Old 01-23-2021, 09:47 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Looks great Tony! Did you route the cables through the belly pan? I just finished up mine, I went with a cerbo gx and am going to monitor it from an old iPhone. We are using the phone as a hotspot for the whole trailer anyway, going to be doing double duty now as a status monitor. Thanks for the help getting the wire through the belly, your advice helped a bunch.
blimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 04:28 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by blimp View Post
Looks great Tony! Did you route the cables through the belly pan? I just finished up mine, I went with a cerbo gx and am going to monitor it from an old iPhone. We are using the phone as a hotspot for the whole trailer anyway, going to be doing double duty now as a status monitor. Thanks for the help getting the wire through the belly, your advice helped a bunch.
Just as you said. It was simple. I removed the accordion door, the panel that the door was attached to and that revealed the cavity between the two walls. It was easy to fish the wiring up to the panels. Glad it's over. It's been a long process.