Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2016, 12:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
santa rosa , California
Seeking advice....

People.... Your input on the following:

1. Worthwhile and a good idea to swap marine batts for 6v??

2. Worthwhile and a good idea to install a converter??

3. Worthwhile and good idea to install solar, if I intend to stay at camps, rv parks, etc. with power?? Or to put it another way, if I intend on staying where util hook-ups exist, is it still worthwhile to install solar.

C&N
travelczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
If you intend to stay at camps, then

1. No

2. No

3. No
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
While it may not be used all of the time, when you are sitting on the side road broke down having power is very nice. When traveling between destinations that are more than a days travel apart, having power is again very nice. The upgrades you are considering are not right for all, but most with a travel trailer at some point will find themselves wishing they had some if not all of them. And I am assuming that you meant inverter for your #2 question.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 01:03 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

We are somewhat experienced (1,800 nights/160,000 miles) Airstreamers. We have had a 2005 25FB, and now have a 2015 25FB. We camp primarily at campgrounds and parks with at least 30 amp electric. We have never had any of the upgrades that you are inquiring about. We have always had a great camping experience without major issues.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 01:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelczar View Post
People.... Your input on the following:

1. Worthwhile and a good idea to swap marine batts for 6v??

2. Worthwhile and a good idea to install a converter??

3. Worthwhile and good idea to install solar, if I intend to stay at camps, rv parks, etc. with power?? Or to put it another way, if I intend on staying where util hook-ups exist, is it still worthwhile to install solar.

C&N
IMHO:

1. No. Two Group 27 batteries are more than enough storage to operate anything (with the possible exception of things that require the use of an inverter - microwave, AC-powered TV, hair dryer, etc., all of which use shore power) between campgrounds with shore power.

2. If you meant "inverter", no - see above answer. You should be able to do without these things at rest stops, etc. between campgrounds with shore power. If you meant a good, 3-stage converter, presuming your trailer doesn't have one, probably.

3. No

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 01:14 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
santa rosa , California
Thanks for the input provided thus far.... If I may add something that MIGHT alter the perspectives of some, I'm told that without a converter (not an inverter, which is already installed in the coach), there is a possibility that the batteries can overcharge and get "cooked."

Is there any truth to that point??
Old 12-04-2016, 01:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Thanks for the input provided thus far.... If I may add something that MIGHT alter the perspectives of some, I'm told that without a converter (not an inverter, which is already installed in the coach), there is a possibility that the batteries can overcharge and get "cooked."

Is there any truth to that point??
Some claim a benefit from an upgraded multi stage converter to maintain the battery charge. Others use the included converter and turning it from USE to STORAGE, with no ill effect. YMMV.

I would suggest you use your trailer and enjoy it.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
IMHO:

2. If you meant "inverter", no - see above answer. You should be able to do without these things at rest stops, etc. between campgrounds with shore power. If you meant a good, 3-stage converter, presuming your trailer doesn't have one, probably.
l
Semantics. They both kind of do the same thing. The gizmo that turns shore power into 12v is usually called a converter. You have one, but a multiphase is better on the batteries. Inverter usually refers to a gizmo that turns 12v DC to 120v AC (with some power loss) for your 120 appliances when you don't have shore power.

The 6v battery thing is 6v batteries are more rugged and take more abuse than 12v batteries. If your batteries are good, especially if they are marine (deep cycle) I would not change them out. Also, if one of the 2 6v batteries goes kaput you won't have 12v at all. When you do change your batteries I would consider a no maintain, AGM type.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:30 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
santa rosa , California
Thanks, everyone, for your input and contribution.

I think I may have misspoken.... As I'm sure y'all know, there is already a converter in my coach...I was asking about switching it out for a converter that would ensure I didn't cook the battery.

I think someone has already expressed that engaging the mode on the current converter will be sufficient.

Again, thanks to all for the input.

C&N
Old 12-04-2016, 02:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
I think someone has already expressed that engaging the mode on the current converter will be sufficient.
My trailer is connected to 110v power 24x7. I only use it on the weekends. Every Sunday night I set the converter to STORE. When I get there on Friday night, I set it to USE. I check the water on the batteries once a month. So far, so good.

Your situation may vary. If you leave it connected and in USE 24x7 indefinitely, you will likely cook your batteries. Sure, it is more convenient to have a multi stage converter that automatically changes the charge level. But it is not "necessary". It all depends on how you use your trailer.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
In our 8th year we've got about 1500 days camping in our two Airstreams and only this spring changed to a multi-stage converter/charger, for convenience and as part of a battery capacity upgrade.

I believe the original single stage charger will work fine if you are actually using the trailer and it's batteries; they will run down and the charger will bring them back up. That's what Airstream had in mind with the factory system.

However, if the batteries are just sitting fully charged with the charger applying a single voltage to them, they will be ruined. So when in a campsite, or in storage with external power applied, turn your Battery Disconnect Switch to STORE position. This will isolate the batteries from the charger.

Another however. Unless you have a solar charging system to keep the batteries up, they will run down without external power applied (at the campground or stored between trips) with the batteries isolated from the charger. Even though the Batery Disconnect Switch is in STORE, there are a couple of electrical items wired around the switch, propane detector is one. So you will have to apply external power and put the Battery Disconnect Switch in the USE position from time to time to keep the batteries charged, or use a clip-on battery charger.

Another however. When breaking camp and hitting the road, you must put the Battery Disconnect Switch to USE position or the fridge will not run on propane without it's 12vdc control circuit.

So these are the nuisance items and some reasons why we finally put in a multi-stage charger.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 04:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Regarding the converter. This is my experience. We bought our 27 ft FC FB new, in June of '15. We bought it off the dealers lot, and I don't know how long it had been sitting there. The day we picked it up, after the walk through by the dealer, we took it over to a local rv park, plugged it in and spent the night oohing and aahing over our shiny new AS. (This was not our first trailer, but it was and is our dream trailer) all was well and the next day I took it over to our storage and parked it.

One week later we were taking it out for the weekend and the electric tongue jack died when I was hitching up. Drove to our destination and had no battery power, and we had planned on dry camping that eve. The next day we got electric thirty amp hookups and just figured our batteries would charge and they did. Went home after the weekend and ten days later the batteries were dead again, and yes, we did ave the yes store switch turned to store. Somehow, it seemed that my batteries would go from a full charge to dead in as little as five days, even with the store switch engaged. Had them check by the dealer several times, they always said they were fine.

Bottom line, the interstates died completely after thirteen months, and they have a twelve month warrenty. At this point, after reading lots of threads here about batteries and converters, I bought and installed the Progressive Design unit, and Trojan wet cell batteries (3 yr warrenty). Since then I have had not problems with the batteries. I also completely disconnect my batteries if I'm leaving the trailer for longer than a few days.

I think the original batteries were damaged by sitting on the lot too long and not being charged properly, but that's just a guess. I know I feel better having a multistage converter charging them when I'm hooked up to 30 amp for a week or two.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
No, no no , save your money for traveling......
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:47 PM   #14
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
The answer is

No, the 6 volts are not required if your regular plan is to use full hook-ups. What may be worth your investment is to go to AGMs when time to replace the original wet cells. I hear that they can be discharged to 80% vs 50% for the wet cells, but the last thread I read did not support that advantage. Would be worth your time to investigate.

Yes, you should install the upgraded converter. They are relatively inexpensive and if you have DIY skills they are easy to install. The value of a multistage charger is that once the battery is charged, the converter lowers the charge voltage so the battery acid solution is not boiled away over time. See post #15 on the following thread for AGM requirements as they are different. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382...-160093-2.html

No, the solar is not required if you use FHU campground parks or a generator for power.

What you should add as well is a battery bank shut down switch. The store/use switch does not disconnect parasitic loads like the propane detector. Those loads will kill battery charge in about 4 weeks of storage.

Having said all that, it is possible with care and feeding to simply use your coach per the manual and replace batteries when they fail. Walmart batteries are not expensive and available almost everywhere. The cost to install upgrades if you can not DIY it will buy you several changes of wet cells.

Good luck. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:39 PM   #15
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We have two six-volt batteries because a lot of our camping is NOT at RV parks or other places with hookups, but off boondocking in the boonies. If the batteries are fully charged before we camp and we use them sparingly, we can get 3 days before wanting to crank up the generator.

Few US National Park, BLM, or Forest Service campgrounds have hookups, let alone the desert dispersed camping that we enjoy.

We've made almost a hobby of trying to cut down on our battery usage while camping. Hot tips available upon request.

Can't comment on your other questions, but if we're feeling flush next summer, we'll be asking about solar, also.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:54 AM   #16
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We have had the factory battery setup for 6 yrs. Two group 27 deep cells that I installed new the first year with this trailer. We have been out with no hookups and the batteries took care of us for 4 days at Glacier NP. ( no generator section). Yes, we were stingy with power usage but this worked nicely for us. Now the batteries are 6 yrs old and I don't know if they would still work as well. I'm having solar installed with 6v AGM battery upgrade so things should work better for off the grid camping.

I'm in full agreement with most of the above. NO, NO, NO if you're doing mostly camping with hook-ups. Regarding an inverter for those short term non-hookups you can get an inexpensive inverter ( $30-$50) on E-bay and it will run your TV & dvd player
and / or a desk top fan when needed.

Whatever you choose, enjoy. See ya on the road sometime

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote