Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2016, 09:00 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Lowest power consumption microwave

I am installing a 1,000 watt inverter and need a microwave that uses less than 1,000 watts. The small microwave that I have currently is 700 watts and requires 1,050 watts to operate, so this won't work. I thought that I might be able to use it on the partial power mode to use less than 1,050 watts, but in partial power mode it still uses 1,050 watts but cycles on and off. I looked at other 700 watt models but they also required 1,050 watts to operate. I decided to search for a 600 watt microwave that would only use 950 watts. Not too many out there but I stumbled across a Westinghouse model #WCM660W that only uses 850 watts of power. Home Depot has it for $58.24. I will probably order one. It is Westinghouse so a solid brand name, and has only two knobs, so simple to operate and reliable.

Does anybody know of other microwaves that require less than 1,000 watts of power to operate?

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
What is the specifications of the inverter you installed?

From my experience they have a graduated specification, such as so many watts output for a length of time. Your inverter may already have the power you need. You may find your batteries are the weak point in your plan.

In a quick search of a few brands I find a 1Kwatt inverter has a 2-3 time short duration output power. One brand listed this duration to be 20 seconds. Given that you are a 5% over as compared to 200-300% over your time would be much higher. Maybe your unit service department would have the data you need.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 01:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I read someplace that it can be overloaded for up to 20 seconds, but I looked in the sorry manual and there is no information about the overload duration. BTW it is a Zamp pure sine inverter purchased from Lowes. I will try my microwave but will also plan to order the 600 watt Westinghouse microwave. I will feel much better about operating it long term when it only needs 850 watts of power to operate.

Thanks for your comment.

Dan
Old 12-04-2016, 05:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
As to your question about Westinghouse. Westinghouse Electric company was founded in 1886 and was one of the main US electric companies. My grandfather and his brother sold that product line back before the great depression.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Hijack... wimpy microwaves don't cook fast which is really the main reason we want them in the first place. A propane hob (stovetop) is your best friend when boondocking... and heats more evenly than a low watt microwave.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:45 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Hijack... wimpy microwaves don't cook fast which is really the main reason we want them in the first place. A propane hob (stovetop) is your best friend when boondocking... and heats more evenly than a low watt microwave.
I can't think of anything you can't cook in a frying pan or pot with the help of a knife to make it small enough to fit and some propane to power the stove.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:02 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob D View Post
I can't think of anything you can't cook in a frying pan or pot with the help of a knife to make it small enough to fit and some propane to power the stove.
Why waste propane? Cook your dinner on the exhaust manifold of your truck while traveling.

Bruce
PD9160 converter, Prosine 1800 inverter
2x Victron 100/30 Smart Solar, Victron Smart Shunt
AstroBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:10 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
For what its worth, Westinghouse is a name only, owned by CBS Corp and is licensed to, I think, Electrolux.
BayRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:03 PM   #9

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Eliot , Maine
The 600w Westinghouse works

I just installed that 600w Westinghouse microwave above the refrigerator in our Bambi. It ran fine on the inverter, though I didn't do a particularly long test. I figured it would either shut the inverter off right away or be ok. It does heat much slower than the microwave in our house.
Garnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Yes it does, and it also creates more dishes when boondocking, which is perhaps the single worst thing about boondocking. My husband worked on me a long time to convince me that, for all the issues involved with powering a microwave, it's a better logistical option. For many meals, it will prevent us from having to turn on the hot water heater and wait 30 minutes for hot water in order to do dishes. Or heat up water on the stove, which would require the pot to be cleaned, the one that we just dirtied for the food. Or do dishes in cold water, which often leaves them greasy.

We boondock more than we hook up, and our Airstream is propane-limited, with only a 6 gallon tank. By "propane-limited" I mean that it tends to run out of propane before it runs out of any other re-suppliable commodity (diesel, fresh water, electricity, wastewater storage space). Anything that saves propane is probably worth it. We've looked into the issue of increasing the propane storage, but it's a very expensive and difficult proposition.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:32 AM   #11
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Solar Cooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post

We boondock more than we hook up, and our Airstream is propane-limited, with only a 6 gallon tank. By "propane-limited" I mean that it tends to run out of propane before it runs out of any other re-suppliable commodity (diesel, fresh water, electricity, wastewater storage space). Anything that saves propane is probably worth it. We've looked into the issue of increasing the propane storage, but it's a very expensive and difficult proposition.
Have you considered a Solar Cooker. GoSun makes several models that cook quickly and use no consumable energy source (propane or electricity.)
Old 12-06-2016, 06:59 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob D View Post
I like my food hot. I don't use the microwave for cooking but rather for heating or reheating stuff. It also minimizes dishes to wash which is important when boondocking.

Dan
Old 12-06-2016, 07:04 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post

You may have a propane leak. Propane lasts a long time unless you are operating the furnace a lot.

Dan
Old 12-06-2016, 08:17 AM   #14
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I would look at microwave ovens again but this time restrict your search to Inverter Microwaves.

These units control the power using inverters instead of a timer that switches the magnetron off and on at 100% power.

Then if you are on shore power you can still operate the microwave at 100% power, and run it at a lower power level when powered by the inverter.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:24 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Boiling bags are a truly wonderful thing when boondocking. Heat dinner on the stove snip the bag open while holding it in an oven mitt, eat directly from the bag using a fork or chopsticks, drink any sauce or leftover gravy,then make tea or coffee with the still hot water. Rinse the mug and fork with the last few tablespoons of water, then put the pan and cup away. Throw out the bag secure in the knowledge that you used it three times... to store the meal, prepare it and serve it.

An inverter doesn't give you free electricity. It puts wear and tear on your batteries.

But hey, one size does not fit all. If you like your microwave . Go for it
Old 12-06-2016, 08:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
I would look at microwave ovens again but this time restrict your search to Inverter Microwaves.

These units control the power using inverters instead of a timer that switches the magnetron off and on at 100% power.

Then if you are on shore power you can still operate the microwave at 100% power, and run it at a lower power level when powered by the inverter.
Mark

Thanks for the suggestion. I was not aware of inverter microwave ovens. I looked at them, but all are too large and to a lesser problem much more expensive than the small microwave appropriate for a trailer.

Dan
Old 12-07-2016, 06:26 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
You may have a propane leak. Propane lasts a long time unless you are operating the furnace a lot.

Dan
Not in an Airstream Interstate MH it does not, at least, not in the original vintage models (T1N Sprinter-based). Our tank is microscopic. And our tank is also new - we replaced it a year ago because of corrosion. It's in tip-top shape. Because of the space limitations and motor vehicle regulations on permanent tank installations, it would be very difficult to increase our propane capacity.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote