Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2009, 10:36 AM   #1
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Inverter brand and switch

I want to add a 1500-2000 watt inverter to run TV, hair drier, microwave etc., not all at the same time!!!!!

Two questions

Any recommended brands at a good price?

I want to interface the inverter into the existing outlet circuits, any suggestions on a switch to go land power to Battery power?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Xantrex used to be a good brand but they are now imported so you might as well go with Harbor Freight, they have good prices on their imported ones. You could wire it with a on-off-on switch so that it is out of the system when plugged to shorepower.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Found this link that explained it pretty good

Link

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
If you want to interface the AC system with an inverter, you must do so, in such a way, that the air conditioning, and the water heater,(if it has an electrical heating element), or the batt charger cannot be inadvertantly connected up to the inverter.
You would want a "change-over" type switch, such as a Blue Sea #9009, listed at West Marine, as #5426630, or similar from other sources.
A proper installation will use an additional sub-panel, to properly divide the loads, so that only the AC outlets can be energized by the inverter.
Large inverters will generally require an upgrade to the batt system, in order to prevent excessive drain on small batts.
You will need a batt switch, so that the incoming batt power to the inverter can be shut off, (even when inverters have no load, their is a small draw of batt power).
All of the above, is not pirticularly difficult, but will entail carefull work, and considerable expence.
rangebowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Second to the great axle debate is the True Sine vs Modified Sine Wave inverter debate. For whatever it is worth, I have a cheap 400w modified sine wave inverter I use mostly to run a TV when I don't have shore power. It seems to work fine. Needless to say the modified sine wave inverters are much cheaper.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:45 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Send a message via Skype™ to WILDRTEXAS
Can I replace my propane oven with an electric convection/micro combo without changing my 71 original inverter? Thank You.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion...

Taylor 1/20/96 - 11/28/08

WILDRTEXAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:47 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
There is an 'original' Uni-Volt "converter" on old Airstreams but no 'inverter' unless added later - the converter allows grid/extension cord supplied 120VAC to power 12VDC lamps, controls, battery charging etc....

Electric is a very elegant form of power - Propane is brute force... We can't use battery power to make heat, we are spoiled by public utility power making it possible in our homes; BUT in the trailers making heat (convection stove) would require 5 times the battery and heavy equipment upgrades where a little trickle of propane would do...
Old 09-29-2009, 11:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDRTEXAS View Post
Can I replace my propane oven with an electric convection/micro combo without changing my 71 original inverter? Thank You.
Yes, but. If you are hooked up to shore power when using the oven and, if the replacement electric oven runs on 120, and, if your 120 breakers will handle the amperage. As mentioned above a Univolt is an converter not an inverter, and, it probably would not be practical to try and run a high draw appliance like an oven off 12v with an inverter. It can be done but you will need a big inverter and will quickly draw down your battery.