Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2020, 03:51 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Installed a Progressive HW50C surge protector

My latest project was installing a HW50C in my 2019 FC 28RBT.

This:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Why:
- Half the price of external dongles
- It will never get stolen
- Don't have to carry dongle around
- It looks better - it's invisible!

No pics, followed this excellent YT video:

My notes:
- In the FC28 there is very little space behind the breaker box. Tons of AC ducting, sewer pipes, fresh water pics, wires. There is just enough space on the right to squeeze in this 10x5" HW50C.
- I screwed the unit to a small wooden platform, leaving the tail end about an inch in the air so I could clear a water pipe. Then I screwed down the platform to the flooring with a couple small L brackets.
- The big umbilical cord is difficult to work with, very stiff. Do as suggested by the install manual and cut it at the right spot, this will help greatly when shoving everything back into the jungle.
- Decided to mount the little remote display just above the breaker box, below the fridge. It protrudes evenly with the face of the fridge and I'll never need to look at it unless something isn't working. Perfect location IMO and no need to route wires (I carved a small opening into the bezel of the breaker box to allow the wire to pass)

It's conceptually an easy project, the hard part was making the unit fit. The guy in the video seems to have ample space in his AS.
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
The progressive EMS-PT30X Is $229.00 on Amazon with free shipping. I chose the external because of no install hassles, and if a electrical event ever takes it out it’s much easier to ship back to Progressive for exchange.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:18 AM   #3
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
If you have a FB the EMS makes a continuous hum under the bed.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
The progressive EMS-PT30X Is $229.00 on Amazon with free shipping. I chose the external because of no install hassles, and if a electrical event ever takes it out it’s much easier to ship back to Progressive for exchange.

Mike
I agree. It comes with a ring to lock to the pedestal so theft is never an issue and the unit I have, the Southwire, has a remote panel that gives you a reading via BT. I just stuck mine where the solar reading used to be.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:09 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2018 16' Sport
1962 22' Safari
Corvallis , Oregon
Kalashnikov, I installed a 30 amp on my 16', for all your same reasons, and it works great. There was a little work getting all the wires routed too, but a good project. Never worry now. Congrats!
WBCCI #7944
skitger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:44 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
1966 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Dover , Delaware
I installed one several years ago and it developed a hum, it was right over the bed. I called Progressive Dynamics and they sent me a new magnetic contactor and no more hum.
helwigc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:54 PM   #7
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Great idea. Our situation is probably a real outlier, but provided as an FYI. We had a similar setup and last September at a Rally, after dark, experienced a campers worst nightmare. Came into the trailer and smelled electrical smoke. Disconnected the electrical at the outside connection. Connector to trailer had melted to the fixture. Whatever happened inside melted a portion of the Progressive Surge Protector. Progressive replaced with the exterior Protector and we will never put one inside our trailer again.
superChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:48 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Woodway , Texas
Correct on the hum under the bed! In hindsight, could have mounted the EMS in our 25'FB somewhere under the couch but we're so used to it now, don't think we could sleep without it!
BTW--if your 50A version gives you different voltages on L1 and L2, confirm these with a voltmeter. The plug-in board inside the unit has two adjustable potentiometers to adjust the voltage displayed on the pendant.
With a small screwdriver, rotate the adjustment screw of each until the display agrees with your readings.
Thanks to Progressive's tech support folks!
emelaich01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:55 AM   #9
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
It hums cause it forgot the words.

OK back to something reasonable.

Try mounting the surge protector on rubber washers, or maybe doubled ended rubber stud mounts. Search for rubber isolator mounts and see if any of those small mounts looks interesting. I mounted mine on plain rubber washers and it knocked the hum down a lot.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:08 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Didn't note any hum coming out of the unit. Even if it does hum, mine's under the fridge which is likely to make hums, gurgles, pops & creaks anyway
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote