Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2020, 09:47 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Crewe , Virginia
My $20 Ebay WF-9855 Rebuild

Work on the Excella has been slow, but I am making small progress. When we brought her home, there was always a buzzing sound coming from the power converter and the batteries wouldn't charge, hence the dimming of the lights after being turned on. I was getting tired of putting a battery charger from the outside and this always limited my time of any work on the inside after the sun went down. I knew that the converter/charger needed to be looked at or replaced. Did they put that thing in a tight spot......behind the stove. I could only see the top of it by opening the access door which is the magazine rack. Well.....I finally had some time to dive into it and I got the old Triad-Utrad TU-470-6 out and taken apart. I am surprised that the "Cinder Block" didn't catch on fire at some point. It had a blown capacitor and this was the time to upgrade to a 3 or 4 stage converter. So, being the type of person I am decided to go the cheap route and see what I could find. I found a WFCO WF-9855 power converter for $9 that didn't work. What could go wrong with this one right? I mean I am sure its just a fuse. So I bought it and sure enough I took that one a part and lo and behold.....another blown capacitor. Luckily for me, its a more modern and more available capacitor so to Ebay I go to again. I picked up, not one, but two new capacitors and decided to go ahead and replace both of them while I had the opportunity to do so. $10 for the pair. So far, I have only spent $19 on this converter. The capacitors come, and into the converter I go. After some soldering here, and some soldering there, I was ready to find out if I just lost less than $20. So, when my eyes squinting, mouth held just right, I plug it in......no sparks, no smoke, no pops or flames.....and no power either. Well, that sucked! Hmmmm.......let me see what I can figure out now.

Here is the video of the rebuild........you will have to go to YouTube to find out......

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.
Look forward to posting more progress threads in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	359314   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1 (23).jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	359315  

Dspchef is offline   Reply With Quote