Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2010, 07:27 AM   #1
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Question how to trace battery drain down

I had a problem with my last set of golf cart batteries, if not plugged in they would drain down in about 5-7 days.

Since they were 5 years old I replaced them a month ago.

Today after 2-2 1/2 weeks they are all the way down.

How can I find out what is drawing electric off the system or can it be a bare wire touching the metal?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
You know, when I was having problems of this kind, I wanted to use the ammeter to try to trace it. Basically, turn everything off (I mean EVERYTHING), then place the ammeter on each circuit lead to identify the circuit that it causing the drain. Then try to trace forward to the offending spot.

Never got to it. Mainly because, in all the other work I'd done, somehow the drain stopped. Amazing because it had been a problem for over a decade.

Lynn
Old 12-02-2010, 08:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I would add to Lynn's procedure, (maybe a bit easier)after tuning EVERYTHING off, pull all the 12 volt fuses, put the ammeter inseries with the output of the battery output, then insert the fuses one at a time watching for current on the ammeter.

That will determine what circuit the drain is on, and then start checking everything on that circuit.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH
I would add to Lynn's procedure, after tuning EVERYTHING off, pull all the 12 volt fuses, put the ammeter inseries with the output of the battery output, then insert the fuses one at a time watching for current on the ammeter.

That will determine what circuit the drain is on, and then start checking everything on that circuit.
Steve is right it's the only way. If a bare wire is touching something it would blow a fuse or start a fire.
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post
I had a problem with my last set of golf cart batteries, if not plugged in they would drain down in about 5-7 days.

Since they were 5 years old I replaced them a month ago.

Today after 2-2 1/2 weeks they are all the way down.

How can I find out what is drawing electric off the system or can it be a bare wire touching the metal?
Bob.

As Eubanks mentioned, start off by using an ammeter to check each and every circuit.

When you find the one or more that has a current drain, then check those circuits out.

As a final test, you can use a "miliammeter" for fine tuning.

Current drains can also be caused by simple corrosion, that might even be in an area or connection that you cannot see.

Chasing down currect drains in DC circuits, has always been a "trail and error" method.

A current drain can also be caused by the charging system itself, if a single diode developed a reverse current low resistance.

Patience is always a must.

Andy

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Just thought of an easier way....after turning everything off, pull all the fuses from the DC panel, then use the ammeter accross each individual fuse holder, and that will tell you which circuit is drawing current. Saves you from having to insert the ammeter in the main battery wire, and may be much handier.

Yes, basically what Lynn said.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Oh, I guess I should add that the procedure I outlined was for ... the MG, not the Airstream. But I guess that would be so unexceptional that it wasn't worth saying.

Lucas Replacement Smoke Kit

Lynn
Old 12-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Whats on the circuit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Just thought of an easier way....after turning everything off, pull all the fuses from the DC panel, then use the ammeter accross each individual fuse holder, and that will tell you which circuit is drawing current. Saves you from having to insert the ammeter in the main battery wire, and may be much handier.

Yes, basically what Lynn said.
I have the same problem but then how to you find out what all is on offending circuit?
thanks
James
Old 12-02-2010, 10:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flintstones View Post
I have the same problem but then how to you find out what all is on offending circuit?
thanks
James
I would plug in only that fuse, and see what works. Keep in mind, some things are always on, such as the electronic boards that control the refrigirator, and water heater, and propane detectors if your trailer is so equipped.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:53 PM   #10
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
ok, I'll give it a try over the weekend.

So I should see the same voltage on each circuit basically.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:

No.

You should see the same "current" on each circuit, namely "zero".

If you see any current flow in a given circuit, with everything "off", thern that's probably the culprit causing the batteries to run down.

The voltage in any circuit means nothing.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:16 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:

Andy is right, well mostly....you are looking for current and not voltage. Current flow in a circuit with everything turned off would indicate a problem, and possibly what is running your battery down. If everything is without trouble, you should read 0 (zero) amps in each circuit.

With the fuses in place, or testing on the converter/battery side of the fuse with a volt meter, you should read the same voltage, and that voltage will vary with the state of charge of your battery, and if the converter is on, or not. Converter on, the voltage should read approximately 13.6 VDC (volts DC). With the converter off, and a fully charged battery, the voltage should read 12.6 VDC, or higher if the converter was just turned off.

Additionally, and I consider this most important...don't over look the possibility that your battery(s) may simply be bad. If you don't find any current drain problem, I would suggest you take the battery(s) out and take them to an auto parts store, and have them tested. Most all auto parts stores now have battery testing equipment, and will test batteries for free in the hopes you will buy a new one from them.

I realise you just replaced your batteries, but like many things, just because you replaced them, does not absolutely gurantee they are not bad.