Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Cochise , Arizona
Battery drain

Something is eating my battery. Even argosy is off the battery is draining. I have checked the mess of wires behind the dashboard and sealed off anything that is loose. I also checked the front junction box below the co-pilot seat and the solenoid is running really hot. I was wondering if that would contribute? Anyone have any idea on any common battery drains? I have checked all of the lights and compartments etc...
Thanks in advance
s4misfaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Cochise , Arizona
Oh it's a 28 foot 1978 Argosy Moho by the way
Old 05-28-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

It is possible your problem is in the alternator. They are not that difficult or expensive to replace. If that is the case you may need a new battery too. I'm sure there are other explanations as well.

Good Luck

Keith
argy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:06 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Battery Drain

Sounds just like what mine was doing. Could be bad ground. I replaced the ground wire on the battery and all well. Make sure battery fluid is topped off if you can open them.
911rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Mine has a clock and memory for radio that pulls milliamps but over time can discharge battery above the natural sitting discharge. I solved by adding a knife switch that cuts off start battery 100 percent, check with ampmeter between post and wire and note reading.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:14 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Cochise , Arizona
Hi everyone. I changed the alternator which upon testing seemed to be bad. Also, the ground wire is fine. There is still a battery drain even when off. My friend said to mention that the solenoid next to the fuses in the cabin is getting very hot. I have no idea whats happening to the battery (I think even the house battery is draining when not plugged in) there are no on board computers or anything plugged in that I am aware of (no clocks or anything). Does anyone have any ideas or tests I can perform??? Any info would be helpful
Old 07-12-2010, 04:58 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Currently Looking...
Glenburn , Maine
Keep in mind that other "phantom loads" include your refrigerator control board and the circuit board for the HW heater IF it has electronic ignition (as opposed to you lighting a pilot). The tank circuit board also draws a very small amount in standby mode. Use your multi-meter set to DC amps and start hunting that load issue by disconnecting fuses at the DC panel and measuring the amperage across the fuse holder terminals to find circuits drawing power. Then start identifying everything on that circuit and test each item seperately until you have isolated the draws. May be a wire has chafed through the insulation and is leaking current to the MH body.

Good luck and persevere - you will find it eventually.

wil

AIR 22828
TAC ME-3
Universal Address: 97XX5 QGG5Z
Longitude: -68.814136
Latitude: 44.894663
olddog299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:20 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Cochise , Arizona
Yeah, the refrig is pilot lit. I will begin to test the currents as you said haha wish me luck!
Old 07-13-2010, 09:49 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Cochise , Arizona
Why would the solendoid be so hot though just after running for a little while? This might be related, the engine has been just not working after running for a couple minutes but I think it's a fuel problem not the alternator/battery anymore
Old 09-13-2010, 05:23 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
NSB , Florida
An easy "fix" is a small solar panel on the dash to keep up with the drain.
projector is offline   Reply With Quote