Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Lakeland , Florida
High AC Voltage Problem

Hi All,

I am having a problem with my AC voltage outlets. They are burning out my charging devices; phone and computer. I have been monitoring the electrical outlets and they all are around a constant 128 volts and several times, it's been at 130 volts. I do have a surge protector hardwired in. Also, their is no voltage problem at the post. This problem is the same no matter where go, all the time.

Is their a "Voltage Regulator in this unit?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated on what to do or where to go to address this issue.

Thanks
Freedomrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
Um, there is no possible way that the voltage would increase between the post and the outlets in your unit. They are hard-wired.

Do you, by chance, have an inverter? That, theoretically, could oversupply AC but it shouldn't be on when you are on shore power and a failure to the high side is rare.

Another mystery is why your chargers are failing. Most are designed to accept a very wide range of AC inputs -- many are perfectly happy on 220/50 cycle as found in Europe.

Wish I could help but, as described, the problem makes no sense.

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Do you have any solar on the trailer. If so disconnect it and test the voltages?

There is nothing in the AC system that would cause the voltage to be above the source voltage.

Years ago the power companies and industry colluded to slow the cyclic rate during the work day to slow the shop clocks and then raise it during the off hours to bring things back to normal. But That was before your time.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:30 AM   #4
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
So that is what made the days so long in my 51 years of labour?????

No wonder retirement days are so short now.

Dave

"Years ago the power companies and industry colluded to slow the cyclic rate during the work day to slow the shop clocks and then raise it during the off hours to bring things back to normal. But That was before your time.[/QUOTE]"
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Yes and one more thing they never told you about retirement.

You never get a day off.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:07 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Lakeland , Florida
HowieE,
I just found something that may make a difference. In the Radio/DVD compartment/cabinet when checking the voltage, I found the AC outlet (with shore power on and DC power off) has no power at all and DC (with the blue label) outlet is constantly hot. The DC outlet is must have been hard-wired from the factory or by he dealer when my antenna booster was installed.

Can you give me an idea how/where to disconnect the the Solar panels, so that I may retest the system?
Old 04-13-2014, 08:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I have no knowledge how solar is hooked up in a trailer so I can,t comment on disconnecting it.

If you do have solar and an inverter I would look for someone that has experience in this area.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:09 PM   #8
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedomrider View Post
Hi All,

I am having a problem with my AC voltage outlets. They are burning out my charging devices; phone and computer. I have been monitoring the electrical outlets and they all are around a constant 128 volts and several times, it's been at 130 volts. I do have a surge protector hardwired in. Also, their is no voltage problem at the post. This problem is the same no matter where go, all the time.

Is their a "Voltage Regulator in this unit?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated on what to do or where to go to address this issue.

Thanks
Do you have a 2nd air conditioner and the 50a power system that comes with it? If you do, a likely cause of overvoltage conditions would be an open neutral in the breaker box or shore power cable. When these happen they can be intermittent and seem OK for a while and cause erratic voltage swings at other times.

I don't give electrical troubleshooting advice on the forums for safety reasons however you could have a knowledgeable electrician or RV tech check for you.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:03 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Do you have a 2nd air conditioner and the 50a power system that comes with it? If you do, a likely cause of overvoltage conditions would be an open neutral in the breaker box or shore power cable. When these happen they can be intermittent and seem OK for a while and cause erratic voltage swings at other times.

I don't give electrical troubleshooting advice on the forums for safety reasons however you could have a knowledgeable electrician or RV tech check for you.
My phone and other USB chargers are generally rated for 100 to 240v input, so if those are the kinds of chargers failing, there is another cause.

As usual, Jammer's recommendation is spot on: have a professional check it out. Here's a quick risk assessment to provide some major incentive: if your water supply went wonky like this you could lose water, flood the trailer, generally make a mess, etc.

If it is electricity that is doing strange things, it could be fatal: bad stuff when it is not properly controlled, so stay off the AC until it is diagnosed and fixed.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:14 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Alright you have 2 AC units, from your photo, so we can assume you have a 50 amp 220 volt service. It is time to get that unit to an electrician or someone that can check it out.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:16 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Lakeland , Florida
Thanks all. The baby is scheduled for the Camper Clinic II, in Budda, Texas on Friday. Sure hope they are up to the task at hand. I will keep you informed as to what takes place. Sure hope we don't have to go to Jackson Center.