Originally Posted by lewster
Nickcrowhurst has it right. The old Uni's were good in their day, as it was all they had. A new converter with 3-stage charging (WFCO) or with added compensation for battery temperature (Parallax Temp-Assure) will not eat your batteries as they will be properly charged with the last stage being a float or 'trickle' charge that will simply keep them topped up.
That said, I would NOT leave the trailer plugged in as the old Uni WILL overcgarge the batteries every time. If you want to keep the batteries full, get a quality 3-stage charger ($50-60) and charge the batteries directly.
Thanx Lew and Nick, I bought new batteries last year and they seem to be holding up well with my current method; when I return from a trip I plug in for a day or two. Then the camper sits for a week or two with just battery power, but very little use ( a few lights when we start to prepare for our next adventure) and then I plug in again for a day or two before we leave to cool down the fridge. For the time being (untill we can get a better charging system) is this a good method of living with a uni-volt? It seems to be working...am I kidding myself?
Should a better charging system go hand-in-hand with AGM batteries? Or does that negate having to buy more expensive batteries?
Just trying to plan the budget for next year...