Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2021, 07:11 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Battleborn Battery Only Available through Dealership??

I am upgrading our 2021 27FB Globetrotter to Lithium batteries myself. Airstream offers this service as outlined in the leaflet attached.

They recommend two Battleborn Battle Born battery models # BBGC2H, Airstream part number 513862.

To my surprise this model is not sold to the public (I just called Battleborn) and exclusively available to Airstream dealerships, which is very frustrating.

However there seems to be no difference to this battery bundle except the shape and size:

https://battlebornbatteries.com/product/200ah-12v-lifepo4-heated-battery-kit-2-batteries/

Since I am getting the heated models I want to place them in the battery box and I am wondering if anyone did the upgrade themselves and which batteries you bought so that they fit?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Airstream Lithium upgrade_.pdf (3.06 MB, 100 views)
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:32 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Poulsbo , Washington
We purchased two of the GC2 batteries at the Black Friday prices. We live in the PNW, and doubt that we'll be doing much boondocking in weather below freezing, so I'm not sure that we could justify the extra $200 for the H model; I suspect it will become available at some point in the future from Battleborn directly.

I think that the GC2 batteries fit the stock battery box quite well, while I understand that it might take some trimming of the lid hinge mount to get two of the "Group 27" size batteries to fit.

As I understand it, the batteries can be discharged in freezing weather, but can't be charged. The likelihood of being below freezing for 2-3 days, without having shore power, seems small. Although, I must say that the trip that finally clinched the plan for better energy resources (first a Honda generator, and then BB batteries) was last February, when our shore power went out in a windstorm, with temps in the 30's, and I had that "battery anxiety" wondering if I could run my furnace fan until the power came back with our lead acid batteries! (Power came on in 6 hours, so we did alright).
DougFelts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:57 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Thanks Doug!

We’re keen to do some skiing + camping at some point so I would prefer the heated models.

My question however is whether both the vertical looking battery (the one that seems Airstream dealers exclusive) and the one available through Battle Born fit into the battery box. The latter one looks more like the AGM batteries so I don’t understand why Airstream chose the more narrow model.

I would prefer ordering them directly from Battleborn than paying a dealership margin on top - but I’d need to know if they both fit into the newer battery boxes.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:11 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Reno , Nevada
I would keep in mind that LFP batteries are unable to leak acid, and they don't leak hydrogen gas under any circumstances. In all of my installations (Travel Trailer and Class-B), I have clamped the batteries into INTERNAL storage areas. They're simply naked in the very-strong BB battery cases, WITHOUT using an additional container "box" at all.

Note my consistent use of internal conditioned space. If you have a storage area under a dinette bench, or in the base of a closet, you can keep the battery inside. Within the interior space of an Airstream or other well-insulated TT, the battery can be kept warm by simply using the 'regular' propane heater system. At a Ski resort, such as Mammoth, you're running the propane heater through the night anyway - and the battery stays as warm as the sleepers. (To the extent that you can sleep through the roar of the heater, maybe assisted by earplugs.)

My own TT has room for my LFP batteries right next to the heater containment, underneath a dinette bench. And anyway, do you REALLY want $2000 worth of LFP batteries sitting outside on the A-frame tongue, and tempting thieves?
rickst29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
We have the airstream supplied ones sitting in the box, I don’t want to give up interior storage, we full time and need the space. Only way I would is if discover I need more than 200 Ahrs which we have not so far. The 360watts of solar seem to keep them charged when off grid. Of course being in AZ helps right now, we’ll see what happens as we go north this spring/summer.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:50 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDNC View Post
We have the airstream supplied ones sitting in the box, I don’t want to give up interior storage, we full time and need the space. Only way I would is if discover I need more than 200 Ahrs which we have not so far. The 360watts of solar seem to keep them charged when off grid. Of course being in AZ helps right now, we’ll see what happens as we go north this spring/summer.
Agree, that’s what the battery box is for and since they come heated it shouldn’t be an issue. But I’ll add a lock to the box.

We have the factory installed 180W solar, how many more panels can fit on the roof and is it a big job to do it yourself?
Old 02-19-2021, 02:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHM View Post

We have the factory installed 180W solar, how many more panels can fit on the roof and is it a big job to do it yourself?

I had the dealer do it (cause I’m lazy [emoji846] ) before I did the lithium upgrade as part of a different series of upgrades but added 2 more 90 watt panels which fit without issue and no overhanging on my 27.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote