Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-28-2018, 10:55 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Service only available through original dealer

I have brand new 2018 interstate wigt issues. I was told that I have to go back to the dealership where I bought it, over 500 miles away, for service. Closer dealership will not touch it. I don't understand how someone can claim to be a "dealer" and refuse service. These units are built for travel, so what do you do? I have bought Good Sam insurance and will try them, but it seems like a major issue on this site.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tech service

When you do reveal something negative on this sight, you might get a comment from Airstream to call Airstream tech. I did. He said he'd make a note of my issue but offered no help to get service. Wonder if we can just stop by the manufacturing plant and pick up some parts !
Old 03-28-2018, 11:03 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
2015 28' International
2013 28' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
If you are referring about an authorized Airstream dealer, then you need to inform Airstream Inc., I only use 5-Rivet rated Airstream dealers as they are the ones who care!! If you are talking about a dealer that sells many brands of RV's then you are stuck. It is not profitable for dealers to perform warranty work, and given the current wait times for repair appointments at any RV dealer, they are going to work on the high paying jobs first and the warranty last.
Maybe the forum can help with your issues? Search the threads, I have found almost every issue listed here in the forum.
Good Luck!
vintagemotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 11:16 AM   #4
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
I would call corporate and ask for help with warranty work in your area. Let them know your experience at the dealer.
HHPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
I believe in purchasing from your local dealer, whenever possible. That’s the best way to ensure you get looked after by the local service dept. if you were an rv repair shop would you service your customers first, or someone else’s?
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I dont have a local dealer. Nearest was 3 hours away; I ended up driving 6 hours to dealer to get floor plan I wanted. When you buy a car, you are usually able to go to any dealer for recall and warranty work. Airstream should pay them for their labor if it is a manufacturing problem. The consumer should not be left hanging.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Thanks for the info about 5-rivet dealers. There is one in Ohio and my son lives in Ohio, so I will look into that one for service. Thanks again very much..
Old 03-28-2018, 02:59 PM   #8
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
Thanks for the info about 5-rivet dealers. There is one in Ohio and my son lives in Ohio, so I will look into that one for service. Thanks again very much..
If you are going to Ohio you could make an appointment at the factory in Jackson Center OH.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:55 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Is the Airstream dealer that refused service an Airstream MOTORHOME dealer?
If they don't sell Airstream motorhomes, they rightly shouldn't attempt to mess with it.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
It was an Airstream dealer that refused service.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:10 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
good luck with goods sams, I just replaced them.
alantbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:27 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
"It was an Airstream dealer that refused service."

My advice: contact Airstream HQ in Jackson Center and tell them what happened. Airstream needs to know about a dealership that is putting out wrong information about servicing.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:04 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
My understanding is that AS requires all of its authorized dealers to accept and perform warranty work on any AS still under warranty --- that the warranty covers all authorized AS dealers, not just the dealer where a particular AS was sold.

A difference, however, may exist between legal theory and actual practice.

The downside to this is that while an AS dealer may be required to accept and perform warranty work, chances are the dealer will have many other customers in its service queue, and because warranty work apparently is not as profitable as non-warranty work, you may find yourself continually last in line for service.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:44 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I will. Thanks to all. When I head to Ohio I will check in at airstream. I also emailed the tech department after I called and reported the issue and was unable to get service at nearest dealer. He, Jon, has not emailed back or contacted me.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:28 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemotor View Post
If you are referring about an authorized Airstream dealer, then you need to inform Airstream Inc., I only use 5-Rivet rated Airstream dealers as they are the ones who care!! If you are talking about a dealer that sells many brands of RV's then you are stuck. It is not profitable for dealers to perform warranty work, and given the current wait times for repair appointments at any RV dealer, they are going to work on the high paying jobs first and the warranty last.
Maybe the forum can help with your issues? Search the threads, I have found almost every issue listed here in the forum.
Good Luck!
Where do I find the 5-rivet dealers list?
alori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:46 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
See entire post or can google and the list comes up. That was a great tip from one of our people!
Old 03-29-2018, 12:40 PM   #17

Currently Looking...
Manteca , California
I just read the "Airstream Travel Trailer Limited Warranty" It does not say you have to return to the dealer you purchased it from. The following are excerpts from the Warranty Coverage Paragraph
"In order to obtain coverage under this Limited Warranty, you must notify an authorized Airstream dealership or Airstream of the warrantable defect..........

If you go to the main Airstream Webpage and use the dealer locator, it will list the "authorized" dealerships. For me, (I live in northern California) you enter your zip code and it will show three authorized dealers; including address, phone number and driving distance.

I recently have ordered a 2019 Airstream from one of the three "authorized" dealers after visiting the other authorized dealers.

Also, you may check with your state Consumer Affairs office as some of the states do not allow manufacturers to limit your recourse under law. Airstream also states this very clear that:

LIMITATION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES

"........SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON HOW LONG AN IMPLIED WARRANTY LASTS. SO THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU."

It pays to check with your state about your rights under consumer protection because with the authority of the law.
MikeofArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:51 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
fredericksburg , Texas
Warranty work

Call airstream and give them name and address of authorized Airsstream dealer that told you they would not work on your Airsstream. It would be helpful if you have the name of person at dealership that told you this. Aistream will quickly get involved and get the dealer that is most convenient to you to fix your trailer. You are the owner and it’s your money that keep Airsstream and it’s dealers doors open. I suggest u also post on the forum the name of dealership that did this to you. You might have to wait but they cannot refuse service. It the wait seems to long I suggest to still get airstream involved-
fbgairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:19 PM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbgairstream View Post
I suggest u also post on the forum the name of dealership that did this to you.
You absolutely should NOT do that. I'm not a moderator and can't stop you from posting the dealer's name. But you should be advised that it is generally against the AirForums community rules (https://www.airforums.com/forums/mis...ork&page=rules) to air grievances against specific dealers— see the embedded link, under the heading "Customer Disputes." If you have a beef with a specific dealer, it should be resolved off-line, not through the Forums.

Besides, unless the dealer also participates on the Forums (few do) then anything negative that one has to say about them on the Forums cannot be answered or rebutted by them on the Forums. A specific, targeted criticism of a dealer via the Forums that cannot be rebutted on the Forums by said dealer is a clear violation of AirForums Community rule #1, namely "Be Courteous."

So please, if you must discuss less-than-satisfactory service from a dealer, do NOT mention the dealer by name or location, and please limit the online discussion to potential and possible solutions to the resulting problems, not to criticism of the dealer. Please save the criticisms for private and offline discussion with representatives of Airstream, Inc. who can actually do something about it.

This has been a friendly warning by a fellow user, not by a moderator. You really don't want the moderators to step in, delete your posts, and possibly ban you from participating in the future.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:51 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Only three dealers ranked for "service excellence" by Airstream, yet 10 ranked for sales !!!

Therein lies the problem LOL....
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote