Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2022, 06:08 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2021 23' Globetrotter
Brownsville , Vermont
Battery question

I’m on the road and suspect I may have a dead cell in one of the two Interstate lead acid batteries in my 202” 23’ Globetrotter. If I have to replace one of the batteries is there a better option (AGM?) without needing to make additional upgrades to the converter etc?
Rklene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 06:55 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Noblesville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rklene View Post
I’m on the road and suspect I may have a dead cell in one of the two Interstate lead acid batteries in my 202” 23’ Globetrotter. If I have to replace one of the batteries is there a better option (AGM?) without needing to make additional upgrades to the converter etc?
'Generally' the use of AGMs in lieu of Lead Acid is seamless as the charging profiles are nearly identical. Your post didn't show the correct year of your rig.
vanderwielen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 06:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Best practice would be to replace both of the batteries, especially if you are planning to move to AGM or something else.
Old 08-30-2022, 08:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
If the Interstates are new enough so you can get a couple under warranty go for it. If you have to buy batteries I used flooded cell for a long time and then switched to AGM. I like the AGM better. I was able to fit large ones than it came with into my trailer. If you do the AGM be sure to get the deep cycle batteries. Mine came from Batteries and Bulbs. I was able to go from 70 AH (Walmart flooded cell) to 105 AH AGM batteries and the difference in avaliable power is both noticeable and appreciated. Your Interstate batteries are not much more powerful than the Walmart , I suspect.

I looked hard at lithium. If I still boondocked much or if I had an electric fridge I would have done the lithium switch.

Buying another flooded cell on the road and doing a lithium switch this winter would be a game plan,
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 09:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
My advice; if your close to an Interstate dealer, take in and they may give you credit after testing the battery. I have had replacement and also received credit when I asked, toward purchase of AGM from them. Otherwise, consider Costco or Sams for replacement if your looking for either wet cell or AGM. Good warranty from Costco or Sams on these.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 10:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
My advice; if your close to an Interstate dealer, take in and they may give you credit after testing the battery.
All the Interstate Battery stores in my area closed.
Interstate sold to a Canadian company who is having the batteries made??
Interstate Batteries were made by Johnson Controls and now is a joint venture with Excide, sold exclusively at Advance auto parts???
I don't know if a reseller honors the old warranty.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 08:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
All the Interstate Battery stores in my area closed.
Interstate sold to a Canadian company who is having the batteries made??
Interstate Batteries were made by Johnson Controls and now is a joint venture with Excide, sold exclusively at Advance auto parts???
I don't know if a reseller honors the old warranty.
Wow; did not know that..I havn't been to Costco for couple weeks...are they still carrying Interstate?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 08-31-2022, 10:15 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2021 23' Globetrotter
Brownsville , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rklene View Post
Thanks so much to everyone for the help. I was ableg to find new AGM’s the same size as the wet cell Interstates and will be installing them today. I took the advice to replace both instead of one. Fingers crossed all will be well.
Rklene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 08:38 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Wow; did not know that..I havn't been to Costco for couple weeks...are they still carrying Interstate?
Answering my question; went to Costco yesterday in Idaho Falls...they still are carrying a wide variety of Interstates. Guys there had not heard Interstate was sold to a Canadian company.
Old 09-01-2022, 11:17 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Answering my question; went to Costco yesterday in Idaho Falls...they still are carrying a wide variety of Interstates. Guys there had not heard Interstate was sold to a Canadian company.
It's still branded 'Interstate' but the label looks different.

Into the weeds:
Quote:
A private enterprise manufactures the US Interstate battery system. It is a product of Brookfield and Exide Technologies. The company was founded in 1952.
Quote:
These batteries were formerly a product of Johnson Controls, a firm that manufactures about 65% of the marine, truck, and automotive batteries marketed in the United States. Nevertheless, Brookfield and Exide technologies recently partnered with Interstate Battery System and are now the sole producers of these batteries.
Quote:
Founded in 2015, Brookfield Business Partners is a private equity firm based in Toronto, Ontario. The firm seeks to invest in industrial, infrastructure services, and business services sectors.
Quote:
Brookfield Business Partners (“BBU”) had a strong start to the year. In April we closed our largest transaction to date, the acquisition of Clarios Power Solutions (“Clarios”), the leading global supplier of advanced automotive batteries which we acquired from Johnson Controls.
My head hurts.

Brookfield are the money guys and Exide/Clarios make the batteries.
From what I can tell, Interstate Batteries will now be sold at Costco and Advance Auto Parts. The Costco version is the same but with a different warranty.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote