Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2008, 09:23 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB International
Toronto , Ontario
Battery Disconnect Switch Not Working

Hello all,

I stopped by my AS at the storage lot yesterday to check in on it. To my surprise, the batteries were nearly dead.

I have the solar option installed, and in the past this has never interfered with me setting the battery to "store" mode. I've always returned to the AS to find the batteries at full charge.

I also noticed that I had left the LED status panel on when I last visited my AS to winterize it. At that time, either I forgot to set the batteries to "store," or the switch wasn't working and I didn't notice at the time.

The problem is, when I flip the switch to "store" nothing happens. The red light just keeps glowing at me mockingly. LOL

I switched the LED status panel off, as this was the only thing actively drawing power that I was aware of. It still didn't help.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! I tried doing a search or two, but couldn't find any related links. The AS manual doesn't mention much on the topic either.

Cheers,

Ross
Toronto_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Cool

You need at least 10 volts in batteries to activate the switch. Can you plug the trailer in to charge the batteries.
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Hi Ross -- The battery disconnect switch red light stays lit on our newer trailers in both "Use" and "Store" configurations. See more information about this switch, in my thread, "Battery Disconnect Switch, Solar & AGMS".

You might have left your switch inadvertently to the "Use" configuration and by leaving the system monitor status panel on, you might have drained the batteries to a compromised state that may be difficult to recover from.
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate View Post
Hi Ross -- The battery disconnect switch red light stays lit on our newer trailers in both "Use" and "Store" configurations. See more information about this switch, in my thread, "Battery Disconnect Switch, Solar & AGMS".

You might have left your switch inadvertently to the "Use" configuration and by leaving the system monitor status panel on, you might have drained the batteries to a compromised state that may be difficult to recover from.
I could have sworn that the light was going out before when I activated the switch. However, I have been wrong before once or twice. ;-)
Old 11-16-2008, 03:27 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn View Post
You need at least 10 volts in batteries to activate the switch. Can you plug the trailer in to charge the batteries.
My only option I have to plug in my AS would into my tow vehicle. I won't be able to hang around long enough to charge my AS batteries to any degree, but maybe I can at least get it into store mode and let the solar charger recover the batteries.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto_Guy View Post
My only option I have to plug in my AS would into my tow vehicle. I won't be able to hang around long enough to charge my AS batteries to any degree, but maybe I can at least get it into store mode and let the solar charger recover the batteries.

Thanks for the advice.
Connect your trailer battery to your TV's battery (or any other fully charged external 12VDC battery) with jumper cables while you are there. This will provide enough voltage for you to re-set your battery disconnect switch and allow your solar charger to take over.

BTW, your light at the disconnect switch is only on constantly when plugged in to shore power. When the 120VAC umbilical is not connected, the light is out when in the 'store' mode and on when in the 'use' mode.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:12 PM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I'm no Tesla, but with your switch off, it may be your Solar that's keeping the light on.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:58 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Toronto , Ontario
I haven't been around the forums for ages, but I did want to post a follow up just in case anyone else has the same issue.

I backed my TV up to my Airstream, and plugged in the umbilical cord to my hitch. This gave me enough juice to put my trailer into "store" mode. Thanks to everyone for their advice!
Old 04-13-2015, 05:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I do not know about your setup but I learned the hard way (dead batts) that on my trailer, at least, the batteries do not charge on store mode. My charging method is to use a marine staged portable charging unit when in storage.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Our Solar system will charge the batteries and may not light the use/store red light on the switch.

Plugging in shore power on the store setting with the converter on will light the red light. The batteries are actually not connected via the relay.

Yes, my engineering senses tingle at silliness like this.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 02:35 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Cedar Park , Texas
I am having the same issue. My inside lights etc. stay on when putting the switch in store mode. I have a 25ft Flying Cloud. Hooked up to TV to run 12v and still swithc does not turn off. Any sugestions?
brendakerry is offline   Reply With Quote