Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2007, 06:33 PM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
AGM Batteries?

A while back there was lots of talk about AGM batteries, now I dont see much about them at all. Has opinion turned agaist them? Also, is it just me or are they heavier than normal batteries?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:18 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Yes, they are heavier by a few pounds, but they last longer, and don't require the maintenance of a standard lead acid battery. There are a few "special" things about them, but a deep cycle battery I don't have to mess with is a good thing.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:22 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Rodney,

My 2008 Safari SE came with a solar charging panel and two AGM batteries. So far the solar panel and the batteries are working better than I expected. We are going camping twice in the next few weeks and then a longer trip later in the summer so we will get a better picture of how they work.

The batteries in my trialer are Lifeline and their web page here, Lifeline Marine Batteries - AGM Marine Battery & AGM RV Battery, has an impressive amount of information on the use of the batteries in aircraft and marine use, they have a very low danger of spilling acid and can even be installed on their side.

20' 2008 Safari SE, Dill TPMS Silver Dog House
2007 GMC 1/2 ton Sierra ARE Cap
AIR # 10494
reddogfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Rodney,

Check out the Lifeline web site at Lifeline Marine Batteries - AGM Marine Battery & AGM RV Battery and get all of the pertinent info. I highly recommend them, especially a pair of 6VDC golf cart batteries in series like I have in my CCD. Lot's of reasons. PM me for more info.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:39 PM   #5
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
My trailer came with them. They are included with the solar panel upgrade. They have been trouble free.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:48 PM   #6
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
One of the many ongoing debates I am having with myself is battery capacity versus weight, espically when I have a generator to recharge with. If I go with heavier batteries I will probally need to move them forward from the compartment in the rear.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Rodney,
I don't think they weigh a lot more. As Lew said check the web site for the full spec. I think they work great. We also have the solar option and we didn't have to (or want to) use the EU2000 during a dust storm at Death Valley because of the great battery charge. They're worth it.
-Ken
Old 05-14-2007, 10:09 PM   #8
_

. , .
making a change vs making an improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
I highly recommend them, especially a pair of 6VDC golf cart batteries in series like I have in my CCD. Lot's of reasons. PM me for more info.
why not just explain it here for all to understand?

lately we've had several vendors suggesting changes but offering the logic off line...

IF the change is a real benefit and passes scrutiny tell us all about it!

IF weight isn't an issue and 4 batteries are the minimum...

6v seems to win out.

and 2 6v are less money than 2 12v agms...

so jk3500s reasoning is partly based on cost, which is understandable...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...2-a-31854.html

but with limited space and weight and a genset for recharge...

why switch to 2 6 volts batteries?

yes it's rare but IF one battery fails...

you are sca-rewed. also IF the tv battery dies you cannot use one of the 6 volters as backup....

also 2-6 volts agms weigh MORE than 2 -12volt agms which weigh more than gel cells or regular deep cycles...

so is the few extra amps worth the effort to haul them around? i don't think so with just a 2 battery set up...

will they even FIT in the available storage space?

it is sort of like opting for larger lp gas cylinders, while never boondocking or winter camping....

i love the 12v agms
because they are maintenance free, can be drawn down further and take more recharge cycles...

BUT they do cost more at purchase and add some weight over traditional deep cycles.

unless your current batteries are on their last leg it might be easier and less costly, to carry a 3rd deep cycle battery and rotate it into the mix.

are you planning to upgrade the univolt/charger and monitor too?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:06 AM   #9
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
are you planning to upgrade the univolt/charger and monitor too?

cheers
2air'
Yep. Ordered one of the temp controled ones yesterday.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:06 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
2air' and all,

I've been a proponent of 6VDC AGMs since joining this Forum. I've stated in many posts related to the topic why I chose this route and why I believe they are better. ANY AGM battery is better than a liquid or gel cell. More discharge capacity, better construction, easier charging, lower internal resistance, thicker plates, etc.

Your points about 12VDC vs a pair of 6VDC batteries is well taken but in reality, how many times has your battery failed when it is in good condition and properly maintained and charged?

The biggest advantage of AGM golf cart batteries is their industrial strength plates, their design that lets you draw them down to deep discharge states on a REGULAR BASIS, the fact that they are designed to be abused and bumped around (as in actual golf cart use) . I think that the discharge capacities and the fact that they will re-charge faster than a lot of other batteries (low resistance) are the major behefits.

Of course, if you don't boondock or expect to be so demanding of your batteries, then 12VDC AGMs are fine. Every major MoHo OEM has switched to 6VDC golf cart batteries (although many still use liquid cells) for their higher end units. They are arrayed in 4 or 6 battery groups in pairs, depending on the current requirements. When people get fed up with the maintenence and corrosion problems of these liquid cells, they usually convert to AGMs. I sell a lot of them as replacements, and have converted 5 coaches this season to 6VDC AGMs from 12VDC liquid cells. Haven't gotten one complaint yet.

The point is that AGMs are THE superior battery! Whether you use one 12-volt, two 12-volts, or two 6-volts is really dependant on your off-grid requirements AND space and weight considerations.

Any other questions?
Old 05-15-2007, 08:41 AM   #11

Currently Looking...
Fort Wayne , Indiana
We're very happy with the 12v Lifeline "D" AGM's we had installed with our solar systems. The fact that they don't-out gas like standard liquid batteries let us abandon the confines of the battery box and install more capacity. They're still enclosed and vented, but less stringently.

Craig
Old 05-15-2007, 09:06 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
No 6 VDC conversion plans here

We're sticking with the 12 Volt ones for now. Excellent "airing" of the pros & cons. If we make any mods it will likely be with upgrades to the solar panels.
-KL
Old 05-15-2007, 09:12 AM   #13
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
FWIW- AGM's don't care what attitude they are in, inverted, knife edge,aileron roll,spins etc.and not dealing with adding water means you can stuff them anywhere you wish.Just bolt the bad boys down, don't want the CG moving around.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:02 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
are AGM's compatible with a Univolt?
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:23 PM   #15
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I would not try it. Multi stage charging from a modern converter would be best.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Yes Michelle, that would be one expensive experiment. A converter should be worth at least as much as one of your batteries (no empiric evidence to back that up).

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:31 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
So say I was going to put in one of these:

GPL-4C 6 Volt, 220 Ampere Hour Deep Cycle

About 10lbs more than the grp 24 and about the same size as a grp 27...I suspect the grp 24s are what Airstream put into the battery box.

I think I've been told this before, but if I went with the above linked 6v battery, would it fit in the battery box on my Safari without doing mods to the battery box?
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:16 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
So say I was going to put in one of these:

GPL-4C 6 Volt, 220 Ampere Hour Deep Cycle

About 10lbs more than the grp 24 and about the same size as a grp 27...I suspect the grp 24s are what Airstream put into the battery box.

I think I've been told this before, but if I went with the above linked 6v battery, would it fit in the battery box on my Safari without doing mods to the battery box?
Twink,

I have 2 of these in my CCD that replaced the 2 group 24 Interstate wet cells. They fit OK but you have to raise the cover of the battery box as they are taller. I used a piece of rectangular aluminum tubing 1" X 1-1/2" on end, had it welded at the corners, painted it grey to match the frame and riveted it on to the existing battery box. Re-riveted the lid to this riser and all is well!

I'll get some shots posted when I get to the beast next week, assuming Ican figure out how to shrink my photos.

BTW, the new version of this battery now comes with rope handles for easier transport and placement in the battery box.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:34 AM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thanks Lew. I'm in the market for batteries and am currently looking AGMs, the price of the 6v is not too far off the 12v and from the link I shot up a post ago, looks like the weight isn't all that bad either. In the end, I guess it will depend on how much I wanna mess with the battery box. I have a generator and am thinking I may go the path of least resist....and go 12v, but would love to see the pics of yer 6v system!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:38 AM   #20
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Umm maybe I am missing something here, but isnt the 6volt system more since you need to buy 2 batteries? What is the scoop?