Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2002, 07:16 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Upgrading batteries

By next spring I will need to replace my (2) batteries and would like to replace them with two 6 volt deep cycle batteries in series. My problem is the built-in battery boxes are not large enough (in physical size) to accommodate the larger batteries. Has anyone made this conversion? Can the built-in battery boxes be replaced with larger ones?

The access doors (from the front of the trailer on either side of the lpg tanks) are also not large enough to allow the larger batteries into whatever box I put in, so the batteries would have to be installed and removed from inside the trailer (under the gaucho). Is there a safety issue with this? The batteries would be in their own container under the gaucho. Any help or advice is appreciated.
Old 10-16-2002, 08:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Why not 12v in parallel? There are sizes that will fit your existing openings with great life expectancy and power storage capacity.

Maintenance will have to be done under the gaucho, they will need good vents. Consider the weight and it's location in regards to balance and tongue weight.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 08:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by 74Argosy24MH
Why not 12v in parallel? There are sizes that will fit your existing openings with great life expectancy and power storage capacity.
If you go to the Trojan battery site, and compare the specs of the 6V T-105 with the 12V 27TMH, you'll find that this 12V battery that fits in the compartments actually is larger (has about 30 cubic inches more volume) than the T-105, is only about 3 lbs lighter, and in a parallel pair, will provide slightly more amp-hours than two T-105 in series.

IMHO, doing all the mods to use T-105s instead of these is like trying to pound a square peg into a round hole. The smaller footprint of the T-105, which makes them taller, makes sense if you're trying to mount them out on the tongue, where horizontal space is limited and the additional height doesn't matter. But when you can get more capacity without all the work, that's the way I'd go.
Old 10-16-2002, 08:48 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Mourice and John,

Thanks for your response. I had looked on the Trojan web site and thought the 27TMH was too large to fit my existing box. There is a Trojan dealer nearby so I will go measure the battery to make sure, or perhaps I can take one to make sure it will fit. I don't want to borrow trouble if I can help it, so that would be the way to go if it fits. Will let you know. Thanks again.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Well... in THEORY at least, any Group 27 battery should fit in any Group 27 battery compartment. It's good that you have a dealer nearby and can try one.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
A 12 volt Delco Voyager grp. 27 battery just fits in the battery compartments to either side of my propane tanks. A Duralast grp. 27 deep cycle was 1/4" too long and I could not close the battery compartment door. I have used the 2 Delcos since May of '01 and they have worked great. There are some sources that state you should stay away from sealed non-maintenance batteries for RVs but it is only because bad converter/chargers boil the water out which you can't replace. One member of this forum stated he had 2 Delco Voyager batteries that lasted 10 years. Sounds like he used and charged them like they were meant to be used and charged. Go to the AC Delco site and review the size of the grp. 27 battery which is a 105 amp. hr. battery. Your battery compartment shouldn't be much different from mine.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote