Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2016, 06:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Stillwater , Minnesota
Victron VE.Direct Bluetooth monitoring

I'm wondering if anyone in the group has experience monitoring both their Victron Battery Monitor and the Victron MPPT Controller via Bluetooth? I have a single Victron dongle connected to my BMV-702 battery monitor, and would like to remotely monitor the MPPT controller as well. Suffice to say that, for reasons related to how the dongle is installed, its not possible to just swing the connection plug from one device to the other. Am I correct in thinking that I'll need another Victron dongle? Or is there some other, more elegant solution?

Thanks all,

Rod
StillRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:39 PM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
I have the same setup (702 monitor + 100/50 MPPT controller).

You need to buy 2 bluetooth dongles. One for each unit. Using the app you will see both units show up and you can toggle between them.

I'm not sure why Victron didn't simply embed bluetooth capability into there devices long story short you need to buy a second dongle.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Absolutely!

The 2 dongles will show separately on your VE Connect app on your phone as Blue Solar xxx/xx and BMV-702. You can look at either and toggle back and forth between them.

Victron is in the design phase for a new Color Control that will be blue tooth imbedded and will offer all of the great CCGX features on your phone with no dongle required.

I would not look for this new device for 4-6 months.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:58 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Stillwater , Minnesota
Asecond dongle it is then...

Thanks, Wulfrat and Lewster, for confirming my suspicion.

Our AM Solar-supplied solar setup is fabulous, and it's a really cool experience to walk out to the trailer that's been parked off-grid for several weeks and see that the batteries are fully charged. It's especially amazing to stand outside the Airstream monitoring the batteries on my iPhone. The ability to see and program the MPPT controller via a second dongle puts it over the top.
StillRod is offline   Reply With Quote