Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2016, 08:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
1993 21' Sovereign
Elm Grove , Wisconsin
Victron Battery Monitor with Bluetooth connection to smart phone

I am interested in adding a battery monitor to my 25ft. Classic Limited. I just read some information about the new Victron BMV-700 Monitor that works in conjunction with a Bluetooth Smart Dongle. The Dongle wirelessly sends very complete information to your Android or IOS phone. Victron has a stellar reputation in the marine community making first rate charge controllers, inverters, and monitors. Has anyone had anyone had any experience with this set-up?

The installation itself looks very similar to the Trimetric. Everything is measured via a shunt. The monitor is attractive, easily mountable & taking little space. Price is competative.

Many of Victron's charge controllers and inverters also can be wirelessly monitored. It looks like programming of the various components is made easier through the use of the smartphone.
Any thoughts on this new approach?

Juergen
jhart657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhart657 View Post
I am interested in adding a battery monitor to my 25ft. Classic Limited. I just read some information about the new Victron BMV-700 Monitor that works in conjunction with a Bluetooth Smart Dongle. The Dongle wirelessly sends very complete information to your Android or IOS phone. Victron has a stellar reputation in the marine community making first rate charge controllers, inverters, and monitors. Has anyone had anyone had any experience with this set-up?

The installation itself looks very similar to the Trimetric. Everything is measured via a shunt. The monitor is attractive, easily mountable & taking little space. Price is competative.

Many of Victron's charge controllers and inverters also can be wirelessly monitored. It looks like programming of the various components is made easier through the use of the smartphone.
Any thoughts on this new approach?

Juergen
Juergen,

We (AM Solar) are about to go deep with Victron components. Check back in a couple of weeks when we have finished our orientation sessions. Great stuff!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
If the Victron BMV-700 already comes with a display unit, then what practical value is there to adding Bluetooth? I can see the need if you could save money on the display and only use an app, but if you already have a display unit, do you really see the incremental cost for adding this feature worthwhile?
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:05 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Los Angeles , California
I have used victron bmv 700 on two units and am very happy. Never tried the Bluetooth connection, but recommend them otherwise!

Chris
ModernVista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:12 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
2008 19' Safari SE
Brossard , Quebec
Bmv-700

Few months ago, I was involved in a Victron project consisting of: LFP battery, solar panels, MPPT controller and 2000 W MultiPlus (transfer switch-inverter-converter) BMV-700 and CCGX control panel. The connectivity to smart phones is able via the VEDirect bus of these devices. The Bluetooth smart dongle of this project will be install this spring. I personally purchased the BMV-700 that I will install later this year. This device comes with the VEDirect port. In the project that I was involved the BMV-700 works flawlessly and the user is enthusiastic about it. And the selling price is quite attractive. When the dungle will be install I will you keep posted.
Michel
Papou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:41 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
sounds interesting to me! Lewster, I'd be interested in more info!
Old 03-09-2016, 09:08 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
I have used the Victron BM700 on my boat for about 3 years. It gives loads of info, and works. You will need to use their shunt as it has a plug and play receptacle on it. Never used the blue tooth feature.

It's the small gauge bottom right. Sure does have a lot of info.

TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma800 View Post
sounds interesting to me! Lewster, I'd be interested in more info!

Stay tuned. Should be a couple of weeks.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:32 PM   #9
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
A friend of mine just installed their stuff, and I'm extremely jealous now.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn Traveler View Post
I have used the Victron BM700 on my boat for about 3 years. It gives loads of info, and works. You will need to use their shunt as it has a plug and play receptacle on it. Never used the blue tooth feature.

It's the small gauge bottom right. Sure does have a lot of info.

NICE!!! based on the size of your AC and DC panels, you must have quite a 'boat'.

Wait 'till you see Victron's new OLED display. Not sure if it's out yet, but it is a work of art!!!
Old 03-09-2016, 08:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
I'll be watching! Definitely about to invest in a battery monitor. Have studied Trimetric vs battery check wireless. I found several negative reviews about the battery check reliability of the wireless connection. I think BT has limited range? Unsure of ability of BT to go through material like alum skins. Was about to pull the trigger on Trimetric but will now hold off for a bit.
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:14 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Thanks, Lewster. That little Victron SOC meter gives more info that all the other stuff there. As you know basing the SOC on voltage indicated is just a guestimate. The Victron gives the SOC based on amp hrs depleted.

Bold, that is a nice setup. I have no solar other than an 80 watt portable panel. My charger bulk charges at a little over 14 volts. 13.3 volts is the float charge rate. I was just wondering why 13.28 is considered the bulk rate on the solar charge controller panel.

I am learning about solar here. I would like to add some to my AS.So, please keep posting as I think several are following along.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:25 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
2008 19' Safari SE
Brossard , Quebec
Pictures bmv-700

For your information, here is some pictures of my BMV-700 (front and rear)
The small square white connector at the back is the VEBus port.
The green phoenix connector is the Dry contact relay output, and the round "barrel" is the programmable "Sonalert" unit.
The connectivity between the shunt ant the BMV is a Cat-5 cable.
There is also a small red cable (not shown in the picture) that plugs on the battery plus side for powering the system.
All these are provided in the package

Michel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG3106.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	341.1 KB
ID:	258542   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG3107.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	258543  

Old 03-11-2016, 08:43 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Huntington Beach , California
Very nice to hear. I have been studying Victron products and will likely use them when I save up enough for my power / solar upgrades. What about using their color display? Color Control GX
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	196
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	258565  
Old 03-11-2016, 09:35 AM   #15
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Oh yeah, I'm drooling over the victron specs I've been seeing the last couple of days. Can't wait to hear more.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Any more up dates from lewster on the Victron bmv-700. I want to add battery monitoring and at some time in the future may add solar.

Looks like the Victron may be an easier install than the Tri-Metric?
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:28 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
Any more up dates from lewster on the Victron bmv-700. I want to add battery monitoring and at some time in the future may add solar.

The Victron is a really easy install. You will probably have to make a couple of end crimps on the battery cables, or buy a premade battery cable.. That's the hardest part. When the shunt is installed and connected to the battery, a Single telephone like cable plugs into the side of the shunt. It then runs to the monitor, and plugs into the back. Set the parameters for you system in the monitor, and you're good to go.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Victron Battery Monitor with Bluetooth connection to smart phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post

NOPE! Not yet.......

I've been installing Victron lithium systems at a furious pace debut not with Victron solar controllers yet.

I hope to get my system up and running this week.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:13 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
2008 19' Safari SE
Brossard , Quebec
Bmv700 with dongle

I am please that you have good success with the Victron products. I work on a project few months ago on a Victron set up in a Class B VR: LiFe battery, MultiPlus 2000 unit, MPPT controller, CCGX control panel, BMV700 and Smart Dongle. User is enthusiastic and pretty satisfied on this system. Great technology. The system configuration have to be done by a certified and qualified person. The software involved in a such system must be configured properly.
For my side, I purchase a BMV700 and the Smart dongle. For my point of view, this is a kind of product that all Airstream product should have in board.
With this product you know where you are in regards to the autonomy and management of your batteries, even the factory install ones.
I count on my 95 watt solar panel and PMW 3 stages controller to keep in good health my Interstate batteries. Never plug on grid my TT at home!
Here pictures of my BMV700 and a some screen shots of information that I have on my I-Pad. (Can be on a computer or an smart phone also)

Michel
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0291.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	267603   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG3296.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	267604  

Name:	IMG_0309.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	267605   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0310.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	267606  

Old 07-24-2016, 07:52 AM   #20
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
Bluetooth is line of sight, and limited distance. I have a Victron and do like it. These types of monitors need to be programed carefully. The only complaint is the small display and difficulty for these old eyes to read. I may install a remote in a more convenient location. Maine Sail has some well researched information, http://www.marinehowto.com/
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote