Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2021, 05:30 PM   #21

2018 27' Globetrotter
Henderson , Nevada
I too would be interested!
prsdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:56 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Delray Beach , Florida
Interesting idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
Curious to learn what (if any) other Air Forum Members, and Airstream owners have done in terms of the semi-permanent mounting of dual Honda EU2200is gen-sets on the front A-frame of their Airstreams.

I am aware of the LowPro "puck-lock" type lock-down trays but apparently they are too far behind in production with something like a two-year waitlist now so I plan to move ahead with my own or a similar design of others.

I am wanting to fabricate (or have fabricated) some means of mounting a pair of the generators on the front of my Classic M30 that will afford the convenience of transporting them and use while boondocking or otherwise when desiring to do so. I also need to accommodate clearance of my WD hitch vertical spring bar jacks (ProPride 3P) as well as want to maintain access to the battery box located in-between the A-frame. As well, my design will not impede the turning radius between my TV and the TT.

At present I am working with a fabricator on an idea of a design I came up with as shown in the drawing below. We are only in the initial stages now of the fabrication design.

My design is based upon placement of the mounting base by direct attachment to the sides of the trailer A-Frame in a manner that would both support the weight of the generators (46 lbs. ea) while enabling them to be locked into place (anti-theft) using typical hitch bar coupling locks as well as the "puck" lock design.

Noteworthy to add, I have a full on Vectron/Lifepro lithium solar system installed on/in my Classic M30 whereas the lithium batteries (of which replaced the pair of 66 lbs. OEM batteries normally located in the forward A-frame battery box,, 132 lbs. total) have been relocated to underneath the dining booth inside my Classic. Hence, the added weight of the generators (46 lbs each or 92 combined) and mounts (wgt. TBD) on the front A-frame are not expected to result in added or excessive weight given the front OEM battery box is now empty (and used solely to store my propane hoses for the dual Honda both of which have been converted to propane fuel only).

Again, curious to what others wanting to (or having done) may look like.

Below is the work-up sketches of the design I am working on with a fabricator and should this materialize as the actual design, I will be happy to share the final specifications and drawings of with others having similar interest or desire.

Attachment 393357
I like your idea. I went with a Champion 3,400 dual fuel which I only run on propane. The generator stays in the back of my Ram 2500 diesel. When I run it I open the tailgate and fold back one part of the Bak Flip cover. So far so good.
#4636 FL/NC
South Florida Airstream Club #30
time2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 02:39 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Lake Charles , SW Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
This might help with some of the "cantilevered weight" questions I asked earlier.

Thanks for the detailed updates.

Peter
Peter, am now on 'hold' owing to having recently ordered the newly designed V.2 Stabilizer spring bar jacks from ProPride for our 3P hitch. Expect to receive the jacks in a couple of weeks, swap them out with the existing V.1 jacks then continue on with the design of the genset mounting.

I want to ensure the baseplates of the new V.2 Propride jacks will not take up more space on the A-frame channels compared to what the V.1's do now and with the new design on the V.2, I may actually gain increased "real estate" for the bracket mount design of the Honda Genset mounts we've been working on.

Will return soon to share progress on the generator platforms.
Old 04-26-2021, 04:58 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Thanks for the update.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 04:08 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI a new OP thread on welding precautions etc.:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f54...ds-223253.html

Have a good Memorial Day Weekend all!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 09:09 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
Peter, am now on 'hold' owing to having recently ordered the newly designed V.2 Stabilizer spring bar jacks from ProPride for our 3P hitch. Expect to receive the jacks in a couple of weeks, swap them out with the existing V.1 jacks then continue on with the design of the genset mounting.

I want to ensure the baseplates of the new V.2 Propride jacks will not take up more space on the A-frame channels compared to what the V.1's do now and with the new design on the V.2, I may actually gain increased "real estate" for the bracket mount design of the Honda Genset mounts we've been working on.

Will return soon to share progress on the generator platforms.

What was the final outcome?
ejs5405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:41 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
South , Louisiana
What I did. Sits on a frame therefore no twisting. Removed one propane tank and store gas there. Net gain in weight less than 15 pounds. Westinghouse igen2500 runs all 120volt items but not all at same time. Cable lock and ratchet strap securely mounted. No spray from rain when in transit as generator is covered by waterproof cover. No noticeable vibration. Sits above battery so it is still accessible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-edit-20220809105716.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	904.5 KB
ID:	420697  
bgum is offline   Reply With Quote