Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2020, 06:03 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
Garland , Texas
More Generator, soft start questions.

I purchased my 2020 Caravel in January. I've had it out several times, last week on Galveston Island, temps averaged 80-95, nice gulf breezes, coarse very high humidity. The remarkable thing is when the thermostats on auto and the AC recycling you can barely hear the compressor kick on. The AC compressor in my last trailer would sometimes shake the trailer when it kicked on, sometimes waking me up. I always assumed RV AC’s were all mostly alike, no matter the brand. My first thought was it came with a soft start, Dometic, no way. Being it's a small AS, no issues keeping it cold. (D. penguin II 13500).

Today, I tried it out with my old Yamaha 2400 and the gen studdered and continued to run, but the AC shut down along with the D. thermostat, which was set to auto. I was thinking about trying it again tomorrow with the AC fan set to low. My last RV had a coleman mach, guessing 12,500, and the gen worked with it (no soft start) Although in the 8 years I’ve had the gen it was only used once for the AC, being used for charging the batteries almost exclusively.

The gorilla in the room. A small Nova Cool refrigerator. Coarse it was off when I tested the ac/gen.

Questions I have. Should I keep the Y2400 and add a soft start or buy 2 honda or yamaha 2200 and see if they work without the soft start? Or, keep what I have and not worry about running the AC?
Greenjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Hi Eddie,

i vote for installing the MicroAire Easy Start. We run a 15K Penguin unit with a Westinghouse 2500 genny no problem.

Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:43 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Soft start, 15 and 12.5. Run both on Honda 3000is... but it certainly grunts... cant run on economy. pull max of 27 Amps. including the converter... start generator... check power is correct, turn on the CONVERTER only... When batteries full, the converter will lower voltage. make sure the MW and AC power to the Fridge and WH are OFF!!

The only AC power load must be AC and Converter only you can run the 12vdc
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Do you have a propane fridge or a electric fridge in the 2020 trailer? Electric or propane water heater? On our older trailer a Honda 2000 with an Easy start is just barely enough to run the AC with nothing else on. I have a switch on the converter and run the fridge on LP.

One way to approach your problem would be to buy one of the EMS surge protectors(and a bonding plug) and use it to measure the loads on your generator. That is how I know how marginal our 2000 really is for the AC. I think the surge protector is worth the investment anyway. Another way is to go ahead and put the Easy start on the AC and try again with the generator you have. Or maybe think through all that and decide a nice 3000 electric start generator sitting in the back of the truck bed would run it just like shore power.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:20 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you try to measure the loads, consider that peak current is what you often need to know about. Most meters are quite poor at showing this. A 14A "constant load" A/C unit might well pull 45A peak when starting up. Motors (and thus compressors) are like that .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
For a 13.5k Penguin II, I'd bet you can get away running a single Honda eu2200i without soft starter.

There's many success examples on youtube like these two:

For comparison, even though your Yamaha is marketed as a larger "2400", internet searches shows anecdotally it cannot run a 13.5k A/C.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:28 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
lake Wales , Florida
Honda 2200

I have a 25 FC with one 15,000 Dometic AC. I can run it with just my Honda 2200 converted to run off of LP tanks. I do not run anything else at the same time. I also have a soft start. I am happy because the generator is 50# and I can lift. I carry it in the RV. Put in a Rubbermaid container and secure between rear beds with spring loaded shower curtain rods. I use 2 just in case. Puts the wieght in the back.

Long term (maybe next year if travel opens up) is to install lithium batteries and remove spare. This will allow me to add a carrier to the tongue. I pull with an SUV, so do not have a truck bed for trailer.'

One thing I do recommend is to lock it to your tongue when in use. I had a friend who had theirs "walk" when they were inside. Drive by snatch. So at least with a cable and lock, a thief might pass it up.

e
Flathead1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:23 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
Denver, NC , North Carolina
I run the 15k a/c with MicroAir soft start on a Honda 2200 with propane conversion with no issues. There are a couple of companies offering the conversion. Genconnex Direct offers both the kit or the complete generator. You also need a bonding plug to eliminate the floating neutral in the generator.
bbcubed53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:31 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1993 25' Excella
Flagler Beach , Florida
new one..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenjeans View Post
I purchased my 2020 Caravel in January. I've had it out several times, last week on Galveston Island, temps averaged 80-95, nice gulf breezes, coarse very high humidity. The remarkable thing is when the thermostats on auto and the AC recycling you can barely hear the compressor kick on. The AC compressor in my last trailer would sometimes shake the trailer when it kicked on, sometimes waking me up. I always assumed RV AC’s were all mostly alike, no matter the brand. My first thought was it came with a soft start, Dometic, no way. Being it's a small AS, no issues keeping it cold. (D. penguin II 13500).

Today, I tried it out with my old Yamaha 2400 and the gen studdered and continued to run, but the AC shut down along with the D. thermostat, which was set to auto. I was thinking about trying it again tomorrow with the AC fan set to low. My last RV had a coleman mach, guessing 12,500, and the gen worked with it (no soft start) Although in the 8 years I’ve had the gen it was only used once for the AC, being used for charging the batteries almost exclusively.

The gorilla in the room. A small Nova Cool refrigerator. Coarse it was off when I tested the ac/gen.

Questions I have. Should I keep the Y2400 and add a soft start or buy 2 honda or yamaha 2200 and see if they work without the soft start? Or, keep what I have and not worry about running the AC?
My vote is buy honda 2200 or 3000 or 3500.....
AFTER TAXES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:17 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Waterford , New York
Never owned a soft start. I’ve seen many people
Post here that they love them. I have an
Electronics/ Electrical background and in my opinion I think you will be happier in the long run buying generator or generators with enough capacity to run the Air conditioning with out the soft start. I use the 3000 watt Honda inverter/generator. It’s pricey but five years with no problems.
Larry1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcubed53 View Post
I run the 15k a/c with MicroAir soft start on a Honda 2200 with propane conversion with no issues. There are a couple of companies offering the conversion. Genconnex Direct offers both the kit or the complete generator. You also need a bonding plug to eliminate the floating neutral in the generator.
Ditto, exact same setup, works like a charm (got the Hutch Mountain kit and followed the instructions for installing both the EasyStart and propane adapter).
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 03:09 PM   #12
2019 30' International

2019 30' International
Bolingbrook , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenjeans View Post
I installed the Microaire EasyStart and couldn't be happier with it. My Honda 2200i starts my 15,000 BTU AC on econo mode, but the fridge must be on propane.

Can't say I would enjoy hauling two gennys around.
wwillson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:10 PM   #13
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
The Yamaha should run the A/C, but I would make sure all other loads are off. With a SoftStart, not only are the start up loads greatly reduced, but the actual running is smoother because the SS conditions the line power similar to an inverter generator. I can't believe how quiet and smooth my two A/Cs are with SS and they are 16 seasons old. Well worth the money.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:18 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I have a Yamaha 3000SEBi and a Penguin AC. It has been loud since I bought it 10 years ago, especially when the compressor kicks in and out. I had it checked out last week and had the MicroAir EasyStart installed while they were looking at the AC. I am not sure if they did the learning process steps so I am waiting to do it in a couple weeks while on a fishing trip. I hope it softens the compressor engagement and disengagement.

I will post when I get back August 2 and also have a chance to try it out on the Yamaha 3000.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:25 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Woodway , Texas
Which Generator/Soft Start

We just got back from a trip to/from the NE corner of Iowa (New Hampton) and on each trip, overnighted at the WalMart in El Dorado, KS.

We carry a couple of Honda 2000i's (predecessor of the 2200i) but just used one with a homemade extended tank to run the front, 13,500 Dometic Penguin equipped with a 'hard start' from the factory.

Despite evening temps in the high 80's, the Honda managed to keep us cool from about 8pm to around 8 the next morning. Fuel consumption was just a little under 3 gal ea time and on the return trip, voltage drop was only 3 volts off the Honda's 125 with no load. The pendant on our EMS reflected a load of 13.5 amps so we were just under the rated output. Because of this, we ran the fridge on gas so as not to exceed the paper-thin margin we had.

We put together a parallel harness to use both generators if need be but so far, haven't needed it--fingers crossed.

Sounds like you're on the right track but propane may give you a little less power output as will a higher altitude. Still, the additional 200 watts with the revamped Honda may be just the edge you need. Good luck!
emelaich01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Vote for MicroAire

Our second Honda 2000 remains home after the MicroAire Easy Start. I was just at Jackson Center i observed several getting installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrouper View Post
Hi Eddie,

i vote for installing the MicroAire Easy Start. We run a 15K Penguin unit with a Westinghouse 2500 genny no problem.

Brad
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 02:14 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
Garland , Texas
I appreciate all the info. & opinions.

Thanks Bill M., I had’t thought of using my Progressive EMS (PT30-C) to help with a solution. Also, I have the all electric (NovaCool) frig. First RV I've owned with an all electric frig. Kind of ups the degree of difficulty.

The first thing I’ll do is see if I can install the MicroAire easy start. Time to do some research.
Greenjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:45 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Dearborn , Michigan
I realize this is an older thread, but I have been looking to run an AC and ac/dc refrigerator at the same time off a generator. Come to find out, my 4.3 NovaKool that draws 4.5 amps in 12Vdc only draws .5 amps in 120vac, allowing me to theoretically run both with an easy start and smaller generator. Will find out next week if successful...

peace
harphunt is offline   Reply With Quote